Menu

If my 12 yr old has trouble narrating / writing

Would WWE 4 be a good fit for him to practice? He's never narrated, no copywork, no summaries, no dictation. I am going to go through either Classical Composition or IEW with him this summer but also want to give specific narration / dictation / copywork exercises. Would this be too easy for him? I want something that's already pre-packaged. I use WWE with my other kids and really like it.

I would not hesitate to use WWE with a student like yours. I would NOT assume that WWE 4 is the right fit.

Do you have the workbooks or do you have the hardback book? When I needed to use WWE with my son we started with the hardback unleveled book. We did a couple of weeks in level two, before I ended up with the workbook for level 3. Depending upon your student, starting with level 4 might be too advanced.

HTH

I have been through the whole series. I would hesitate to jump in with level 4. FWIW, a friend is borrowing level 3 for her son. He is the same age and has some of the same issues as what you mentioned.

Level 3 will give him (and you) more guidance for the narrations.

I'll take a look at it and compare! Level 4 seemed ok, but I don't want to make it too difficult for him. Thank you!

I haven't seen WWS at all. But, that has never stopped me from having an opinion :lol:

I would suggest you purchase the audio lectures from SWB about writing. Listen to the one concerning elementary writing and decide for yourself if your child has mastered narration and dictation at the level needed for middle school writing.

You might also try the sample of year 4 WWE at PHP and see if your child can do the exercises easily.

if yes, then move on to WWS. But if you think there is need for more instruction then start with WWE4

hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your post. I asked this on the K-8 board and didn't get any response. Could you do the new WWS without going through WWE4? Anyone who has used WWE4 and seen the WWS samples have an opinion? Thanks.

I think you probably could. The first week of WWS covers narrations very thoroughly. If your child has a difficult time with this you could either spend some time on your own working with him/her or you could get the WWE core book or one of the workbooks to give your child further practice.

If you do, I'd review the last half of the books and get a feel for where your dc is in skill level. WW4 may or may not be a good fit, but WWE - SF can give you and idea about placement.

Here's the placement evaluation that PHP provides for WW3 and WW4.

Here's a link:http://wtm-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/wwe/wweevaluations.pdf