Menu

A word about political threads

Susan Wise Bauer

As an election season approaches...I feel the need to give y'all some guidelines.

This board is not for the discussion of politics. There are other places to do that.

Yes, we do say that this board is for "hanging out and chatting." That's because parents who teach their kids sometimes just need to...chat. Not about school, just about life.

Having said that...

I don't want to see political threads here that have nothing to do with home schooling. It was the last presidential election that forced us to ban political avatars, slogans, and partisan discussions. I'm already seeing threads that appear to be posted simply to start political arguments. Not interested, people. Chat about something else, here. Or go talk about politics, somewhere else.

Simple. :001_smile:

SWB

P.S. And, to clarify: the ban against political statements in avatars and signatures is STILL in effect.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer

BUSTED!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, you weren't here last time - it was Ugly with a capital U most days.

That last election was my 'the honeymoon is over' with the boards. :D

All in all though, it has been a good marriage. :tongue_smilie:

Aw man! I was really hoping to use my "I'm voting for Chuck Norris" line.

Just kidding:tongue_smilie:. I left another board because I just happened to join right before the last election. N.A.S.T.Y.

I think that is a very wise policy.

I think so too.

I have to say, it is frustrating to me that it has to be so because I really learn a lot from hearing and understanding other people's points of view, but I CERTAINLY have realized that it just won't work here. Dang it!

:)

There's already a sticky about political threads.

Right, but that one says Man up and don't whine if your feelings get hurt in a political thread. This one essentially bans all political threads that don't have to do with homeschooling. This one is newer, and therefore supersedes the previously stickied thread. :001_smile:

Are kilts still acceptable?

I hope not...unless it is related to homeschooling somehow. ;)

I agree that an updated sticky would be helpful. I posted a couple of polls and asked a general question about parties in this country. Before I did, I tried to carefully check the rules. I obviously missed something because my threads were deleted and I was warned. I'm not posting sour grapes...just trying to be helpful by saying that not everyone has malicious intent...but ignorance. :)

Learned my lesson :)

Thank you!!! :thumbup:

Just a suggestion... I think you should sticky this thread.

:iagree:

I certainly hope so!

TNT - Sorry, you're outvoted here. Kilts ARE related to homeschooling. History, Geography, and Fashion trends.;)

I understand why this is a rule, although, I am disappointed since I enjoy the opinions of many ladies here. Especially the ones who hold different opinions than myself.

Is it okay to ask where we can discuss political issues? Does anyone know of a board where political issues are discussed for real? (As opposed to drama, name-calling, and ridiculousness.)

Would it be acceptable to start a social group here on the WTM boards?

(Related- is there a way to limit membership so that we can keep it to people who want to discuss political issues friendly?)

I understand why this is a rule, although, I am disappointed since I enjoy the opinions of many ladies here. Especially the ones who hold different opinions than myself.

Is it okay to ask where we can discuss political issues? Does anyone know of a board where political issues are discussed for real? (As opposed to drama, name-calling, and ridiculousness.)

(Related- is there a way to limit membership so that we can keep it to people who want to discuss political issues friendly?)

I too am interested.

Have you thought about starting a Yahoo group? There, you can make membership conditional, and even make it so posts go through the administrator before they're posted.

Have you thought about starting a Yahoo group? There, you can make membership conditional, and even make it so posts go through the administrator before they're posted.

Good idea. I wonder how many people would be interested in joining....

(off to post a thread asking! :D)

ETA: It's not against the rules or anything if I start a thread about starting a yahoo group devoted to politics is it? Just want to make sure... can't afford to get myself even temporarily banned from these boards, then I might have to do something crazy like.... teach my child. heh.

Or maybe a separate board? That way those of us that don't want to see it can avoid it. :001_smile:

Or maybe a separate board? That way those of us that don't want to see it can avoid it. :001_smile:

You mean a no complaints to anyone, no whining at being cussed at, and not even being able to invoke Godwin's Law?:svengo: How would you tell if from an .alt USENET group?

Thank goodness. I don't like to mix my politics and homeschooling. :001_smile:

Seriously though, I'm relieved by the ban. I like someplace where I can escape the politics sometimes.

:lol: Only non partisan kilts...

:lol::lol:

Thank goodness. I don't like to mix my politics and homeschooling. :001_smile:

Seriously though, I'm relieved by the ban. I like someplace where I can escape the politics sometimes.

Good idea. I wonder how many people would be interested in joining....

(off to post a thread asking! :D)

ETA: It's not against the rules or anything if I start a thread about starting a yahoo group devoted to politics is it? Just want to make sure... can't afford to get myself even temporarily banned from these boards, then I might have to do something crazy like.... teach my child. heh.

You can set up your own forums for free on places like Yuku and Proboards.