Menu

? about high school math progression

Hi, my 9th grade son did Saxon Algebra 1 this year. We are switching to Teaching Textbooks next year. Should he be doing Geometry or Algebra 2? He would like to do Alg. 2 so he'll be able to do Chemistry in 11th grade but I'm not sure of the recommended progression. My other son did Geometry 9th grade (in Christian high school), then Alg. 1 and 2 back to back here at home. Curious for your opinions, thanks!

I've always heard the reason the schools do geometry after algebra 1 is because of the PSAT. Usually juniors take the PSAT in the fall. There is geometry on the test, so in order to be prepared you need to have had geometry. If you don't plan on taking the PSAT, I would do what your son wants and take algebra 2.

Anyone else?

Kathleen in VA

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lavendersblue

Didn't geometry come before Algebra II even before the PSAT?

Check your algebra II book. If there is any trig in it (sin, cos etc), he should do geometry first.

Jacobs Geometry introduces these. Foersters Algebra II /Trig (older edition) assumed you already knew what these were with triangles and put them immediately onto a unit circle. Later editions of Foersters split alg II and "pre-calc" into separate books.

I'm not sure what TT does.

BTW, why does he need alg II for chem? I had only alg I and geo before chem and did fine (back in the dark ages) and I don't remember anything startling algebra-wise in Apologia this year either.