Menu

Help me with a menu for a small get together?

I'm due in 9 weeks with baby #3, but need to be prepared in 5 or 6 weeks because both of her big brothers were born early. My mom and both grandmothers are coming tomorrow to help me finish cutting and sewing the cloth diapers that are the only major project I have left to finish. I want to thank them by having a nice lunch prepared.

What would you serve? It needs to be simple, because all of my prep will need to be done in the morning before they arrive or while they are here. And if I'm in the kitchen preparing food I won't be helping with the sewing. The only other requirement is that is needs to be pork and shellfish free.

I'm going grocery shopping this afternoon. Will someone please help me come up with a menu before then? Many thanks in advance!

I would do chicken salad with crackers, fruit with "To Die for Sauce" (recipe to follow) and brownies for dessert.

To Die for Sauce

¾ cup sour cream

¾ cup Cool Whip

¾ cup brown sugar

1 - 2 TBS of one of these liqueurs – Frangelica, Khalua or Amaretta

You can use vanilla instead of the liqueurs, but it isn't quite as good.

How simple do you want to keep it? I would add a big salad and a dessert to any of these to round them out:

You could get a rotisserie chicken and a couple of appetizers. That would be super-easy.

Brunch would be fun and not too much work. Then you could do muffins, quiche, a breakfast casserole (baked grits or a strata), fruit.

You could do meatballs in a crockpot, tea sandwiches.

Chili in the crockpot would be an easy make-ahead. Add lots of fixings and cornbread.

I would do chicken salad with crackers, fruit with "To Die for Sauce" (recipe to follow) and brownies for dessert.

To Die for Sauce

¾ cup sour cream

¾ cup Cool Whip

¾ cup brown sugar

1 - 2 TBS of one of these liqueurs – Frangelica, Khalua or Amaretta

You can use vanilla instead of the liqueurs, but it isn't quite as good.

Chicken salad is a good idea, especially if I use Mrs Mungo's idea for a rotisserie chicken to make it with! The fruit dip sounds great, but I have none of those liqueurs. Maybe I'll do fruit salsa with cinnamon chips instead.

How simple do you want to keep it? I would add a big salad and a dessert to any of these to round them out:

You could get a rotisserie chicken and a couple of appetizers. That would be super-easy.

Brunch would be fun and not too much work. Then you could do muffins, quiche, a breakfast casserole (baked grits or a strata), fruit.

You could do meatballs in a crockpot, tea sandwiches.

Chili in the crockpot would be an easy make-ahead. Add lots of fixings and cornbread.

It needs to be super simple. I have a prenatal appointment this afternoon and the boys have their first soccer practice this evening. Time is going to be tight between the two, and afterwards we'll still have dinner to get to. We won't get home until 7:30 or so, dinner done by 8:30, then I need to get the sewing supplies set up and do a quick tidy of the house. They'll be over bright and early tomorrow morning, so I probably won't have time to do anything but clean the bathroom sink after the boys brush their teeth. Setting the alarm to wake early isn't happening for this having-trouble-sleeping pregnant woman! :tongue_smilie: They aren't expecting anything fancy, I just thought it would be nice to do something a little special with my 3 favorite women in the world. I'm going to use Marc's great grandmother's linens and have tea and pastries (not homemade) set out when they get here.

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Here is a good riff on the chicken and fruit theme mentioned:

http://www.recipestoday.com/recipes/poultry/chickenandfruit.htm

This would be easy with a pre-cooked chicken.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/light-lovely-dishes-00400000040426/page19.html

Another easy recipe--tomato, bacon(turkey bacon would work), basil tea sanchwiches. Perhaps, add a few more tea sandwiches--cucumbers, cream cheese, ect. Brew up a pot of tea when it's time for lunch. Serve some sorbet or fruit with some whip cream in fancy glass or dish for dessert.

I think you idea for breakfast is great. If you have enough special china, anything you serve for lunch will seem special when served on special china.

Enjoy your time with your special ladies!

I f they like it, serve quiche. You can make (or buy) a pie crust - and find a container of frozen quiche mix to thaw and use if you do not want to mix it up yourself. Then an hour or so before eating go pour the mix into the crust, pop into the oven and return to your folks. A nice green salad and some brownies and you are set.

Here is a fruit dip without those. I've not had it with lemon juice, but cool whip and cream cheese make a great dip. How about purchasing some deli croissants for the chicken salad. It might be a little more filling and "fancy" than the crackers.

Croissants! Mmmmmmmm. Excellent idea!

I f they like it, serve quiche. You can make (or buy) a pie crust - and find a container of frozen quiche mix to thaw and use if you do not want to mix it up yourself. Then an hour or so before eating go pour the mix into the crust, pop into the oven and return to your folks. A nice green salad and some brownies and you are set.

This is the second brownie mention. Now I want brownies. And cornbread. And croissants. For someone who doesn't normally eat a lot of carbs I certainly do seem to be craving them this pregnancy! And I think we're having quiche for dinner tomorrow. That sounds great, too! Asparagus and ham, I think, since it's just for us and Grandma is the one who can't eat pork.

Here is a good riff on the chicken and fruit theme mentioned:

http://www.recipestoday.com/recipes/poultry/chickenandfruit.htm

This would be easy with a pre-cooked chicken.

http://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/light-lovely-dishes-00400000040426/page19.html

Another easy recipe--tomato, bacon(turkey bacon would work), basil tea sanchwiches. Perhaps, add a few more tea sandwiches--cucumbers, cream cheese, ect. Brew up a pot of tea when it's time for lunch. Serve some sorbet or fruit with some whip cream in fancy glass or dish for dessert.

I think you idea for breakfast is great. If you have enough special china, anything you serve for lunch will seem special when served on special china.

Enjoy your time with your special ladies!

That chicken and fruit salad sounds SO GOOD! Thank you for the link!

I don't have a lot of fancy dishes, but my "china" (my everyday dishes) is white and pretty. I do have some very pretty crystal cups that would look great with some chocolate pudding topped with whipped cream. Maybe I'll stick a brownie in the bottom of each one!