Menu

We went on a fantastic field trip today!

First, you might have noticed that I have not been on much lately...We are in the UK!!!! Lots of interesting things here, but we went to the D-day museum in Portsmouth. I know that d-day will be toward the end of our year next year, but ds came out with so many questions. He is really looking forward to next years history. Happy Mummy Dance!

We went to Normandy about three weeks ago and spent 5 days there. (We live in Germany.) Visited Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, the cemetaries, etc. It was an amazing field trip for us as well and really showed our kids how many people suffered with that invasion. My history loving 11 yo son really thought it was wonderful. (We even visited a snail farm--very cool!)

jeri

I had never really thought about the British side before. I knew they gathered over here somewhere, but the focus had always been on Normandy. This talks about all the prep that went into it, how they kept it quiet, and all that. It was really interesting. They had some tanks, and some of the boats they used to get over the channel.

Tomorrow we are going to Flambards, it is an amusement park, but if you look under exhibitions there are a few interesting ones. Britain in the Blitz, the war zone, and operation sea lion. This is something that was just discovered in 2010, shows how we are still learning about history.