Menu

Tips for finding local scholarships

Pegasus

I thought I'd pass along a couple tips that I've learned for finding out about local scholarships and see if anyone had others to add.

1. Start keeping an eye out early. I've started a notebook to keep a record of any local scholarships that I hear about. I clip out notice of scholarship recipients from the paper, etc. I am saving the serious research for later but at least I'll know to check with "Ma & Pa Paintshop" to see if they are still offering a scholarship.

2. Check the counselor web pages for your local high schools. I've found a few that post all the scholarship notices on their website.

I figure that piecing together several local scholarships is probably more likely than winning one of the large national ones. Less competition, anyway! Any other good tips? :bigear:

Pegasus

In our area you can't check web pages with the school as they aren't listed there. However, you can go in to the high school guidance office and they have a paper copy printed each month - each week when in prime season - and take a copy home with you.

That's been very worthwhile for us. Otherwise, my guy has found some via our credit union and his youth group.

That is what we are doing as well. Our local high school has the list online. I talked to one of the counselors and learned that many of the scholarships are for our local school district and not specific for the local high school. Good to know since ds will not be getting a diploma from the school.