Menu

can someone explain how you post under a specific person within a thread?

I have tried replying and quick replying and I can't figure out how you post under a person within a thread vs simply going to the bottom of the thread replies.

Thanks!!

You can't post right under a specific person. However, you can quote all or part of their post in your reply, so it's apparent what you're replying to. To do that, just hit the quote button over on the right. That will take you to a reply form and the quote will already be there! You can remove part of the quote if you wish; just make sure that the quote code and the beginning and the end are still there.

I have tried replying and quick replying and I can't figure out how you post under a person within a thread vs simply going to the bottom of the thread replies.

this kind of board doesn't work that way. if you want to reply to a specific persons post, quote the relevant part of their post as i have done in replying to you. the quote button is in the lower right corner of each post.

:cool:

Thanks!!

Okay, I think I just figured out how you can do this. I've used this kind of mb software before, but never figured this out!

If you look up at the blue bar right on top of the first post in a thread, on the far right you'll see "Display Modes". Click on the arrow, and choose "Switch to Hybrid Mode" in the drop down meny. This will give you a view of the thread like the old board on top, with the content of each post on down the page. If you click on the post (in the top "threaded" view) that you want to reply to, your reply will show up under their post rather than at the end of the thread.

If you look up at the blue bar right on top of the first post in a thread, on the far right you'll see "Display Modes". Click on the arrow, and choose "Switch to Hybrid Mode" in the drop down meny. This will give you a view of the thread like the old board on top, with the content of each post on down the page. If you click on the post (in the top "threaded" view) that you want to reply to, your reply will show up under their post rather than at the end of the thread.

I am still mostly in a fog here, but this was very helpful! I appreciate the explanation of Hybrid mode and how to make the Quote thing work!

Okay, I think I just figured out how you can do this. I've used this kind of mb software before, but never figured this out!

This is my first attempt at posting on this board...but I want to see if it works. If so you'll get your reputation bumped up! :D

RhondaM.

Okay, now I've really figured this out.

If you hit the "Post reply" button, you post will go under the last person's post on the threaded view.

If you want your post to go under a particular person's post (in the threaded view), then you need to hit one of the quick reply buttons on the bottom right corner of their post (quote or quick reply). If you do that, then your reply will show up under that particular post in the threaded view.

Learning new things all the time here!

You can put your post under the person you want by pushing the last button in their post, the Letter with the Feather which says "Quick Reply" when you move your mouse over it. When the Quick Reply box appears, you can choose to "Go Advanced" which will allow you to title your post. I suggest putting the person's name if you want to address them.

How do we get Everyone to use it in hybrid mode so it is treaded like the old board and it all makes sense tome? :eek:

In the dreaded threaded mode, this post will appear directly under the post I quoted. In the right mode, it appears at the end of the thread.

And no, you cannot get everyone to go back to the old way. That defeats the purpose of the new board entirely. This way is not that hard to get used to, it really isn't and I'm having a very hard time imagining anyone this against change, especially when it is for the better.

The old way was just that--old. Dead. Give this new board a legit chance before trying to change it. It really is not that hard to do.

It does seem to work though. I'm just playing around trying to get the hang of it.

Quick reply is the push of one button--the feather-- and that's it. If you want to quote, you click on the "quote message" at the bottom.

How is that more time consuming than opening a message, typing in your name, your subject line and message, hitting reply and refreshing---when this board does ALL of that in one click?

How do we get Everyone to use it in hybrid mode so it is treaded like the old board and it all makes sense tome? :eek:

Honestly? This forum format really works best with the linear mode. It is an adjustment, but with some time and familiarity you may find it's much easier to follow.

The best way in this format to reply to a person is to quote their post. Then it's obvious that you're responding to them, regardless of which view you choose.

Try Hybrid mode, that way you see the thread and the actual posts below- it's how I cruise through the board. The only thing is that the conversations are as fluid- I feel so disjointed from the General board, it seems to be on another planet but I think it's just b/c I have to put more effort in looking through the posts than I did at the old board where I could just skim quickly and jump in and out where I wanted. At these type of boards I feel like an old lady jumping than a vibrant young woman. lol!

Try Hybrid mode, that way you see the thread and the actual posts below- it's how I cruise through the board. The only thing is that the conversations are as fluid-

I tried the hybrid mode, but something weird I found is sometimes all of the posts don't show in the linear part. I can't figure out exactly how that works.