Menu

My Son stepped on a rusty nail!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dispute that a parent needs to be informed of risks and weigh these decisions carefully. I just think it is inappropriate to say that the vaccine is safe and the child will be fine, especially when you are presenting yourself as a professional with experience on the matter. You can't possibly know that beyond a doubt, as evidenced by the vaccine inserts themselves, so your comment was misleading. These types of blanket statements that discount any risk make it very difficult for parents to make informed decisons.

I have to say,:iagree: It is because of the medical field many times refusing to admit the danger/side affects of a medicine that I am so leery of accepting what they say as truth. I am sorry, give me the good, the bad and the ugly but please be honest with it all. I have experience way to many of the opposite to put my whole trust in them. I have discovered that I need to be in charge of my health and my childrens health. That is really why I asked the question to begin with. I figured I could possibly get info quicker than if I spent hrs researching.

You guys really are a great bunch of people and I do appreciate you.:D

I don't dispute that a parent needs to be informed of risks and weigh these decisions carefully. I just think it is inappropriate to say that the vaccine is safe and the child will be fine, especially when you are presenting yourself as a professional with experience on the matter. You can't possibly know that beyond a doubt, as evidenced by the vaccine inserts themselves, so your comment was misleading. These types of blanket statements that discount any risk make it very difficult for parents to make informed decisons.

My apologies if that's how my post came across. It was not my intention to be misleading. My intention was not to discount all risk, merely to say that in a situation where a child presents with a wound that could possibly lead to a tetanus infection, and that child is otherwise healthy (with no contraindications for the vaccine) that there is every reason to believe that the outcome from receiving the shot would be favorable. And, wow...that was a run-on sentence or what? :lol:

Are there risks for a vaccine? Of course there are. There are risks from swallowing two ibuprofen tablets, but most of us still do it. I only meant to reassure the original poster that the greater risk in this situation would be the possible tetanus infection...not the vaccine. However, since her child has already received the shot within the appropriate time period, he's good. And, I'm so happy it turned out well.

And I'll also add the disclaimer that nobody should blindly take ANY medical advice from a message board, even if the Surgeon General is the one giving it. :D Always, always check with a physician who knows you and your situation personally.

Again, I apologize if I sounded harsh. To the OP....I was only worried about your son. I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

My apologies if that's how my post came across. It was not my intention to be misleading. My intention was not to discount all risk, merely to say that in a situation where a child presents with a wound that could possibly lead to a tetanus infection, and that child is otherwise healthy (with no contraindications for the vaccine) that there is every reason to believe that the outcome from receiving the shot would be favorable. And, wow...that was a run-on sentence or what? :lol:

Are there risks for a vaccine? Of course there are. There are risks from swallowing two ibuprofen tablets, but most of us still do it. I only meant to reassure the original poster that the greater risk in this situation would be the possible tetanus infection...not the vaccine. However, since her child has already received the shot within the appropriate time period, he's good. And, I'm so happy it turned out well.

And I'll also add the disclaimer that nobody should blindly take ANY medical advice from a message board, even if the Surgeon General is the one giving it. :D Always, always check with a physician who knows you and your situation personally.

Again, I apologize if I sounded harsh. To the OP....I was only worried about your son. I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

As far as I am concerned, apology accepted and all is good.:D I know that we all can sound harsh at times when that isn't at all our intent.