Menu

Divorce not fun at all

My dh told me he was getting a divorce at the beginning of the year, I am devistated and feel so lost. I have a sister who lives in another state, my two older dd's 20 and 18, but they are gone all the time. Then my little one who I am so lucky to have she is 5. Then that's it, no friends and no other family of my own. My dh was my best friend and he says we still are, but he has moved on and is with someone new for the last 5 weeks, of course someone I know. I forgot to mention I am here with no vehicle.

So the reason I am posting is I am looking for some direction of where to go from those who have been through this. And maybe make some friends who I can chat about this with. I am not very good with being alone but i guess you can say I am adjusting. And the last two months after he moved out in the beginning of April I was a babbling idiot. I am not crying so much now, but I still feel so devistaed and lost. Unfortunately I was very dependant on my husband in many ways besides financially. So I hope I will find some responses to this because I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks

Susan

So, he said you are still best friends but he's left you? That doesn't sound like someone you need around you long term anyhow. There is always a future for you and lots of good men to choose from who aren't talking out of both sides of their mouths. :)

There are quite a few single moms here. You aren't alone. It will get easier than it is now. I promise. If I can make it, you can. Trust me. I was the weakest person in the world and scared and painfully shy to boot.

Geez. I'm so sorry. This sounds gut-wrenching.

I haven't been through this so I can't offer too many words of advice. Do be gracious wih yourself; you'll need lots of time to heal. Don't expect to just "get over it" quickly, even if he seems to be that way. This is a big deal, and it's something you'll need to grieve.

I don't want to sound trite. But do you know Jesus? Or Have you ever read the book of Psalms in the Bible? Those, in addition to forming a support network, would be some good places to start. Also, maybe seeing a counselor if your budget will allow.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry. :( How long were you married? I was divorced from my older son's dad after 3 years of marriage...but I am betting you have been married much longer with the ages of your older children taken into account.

The first thing I would advise you to do is to see someone. A therapist, a counselor, even a pastor would be a good place to start. If you feel you are slipping into depression, there is nothing wrong with turning to medication to help in this rough spot. Lost, bewildered, and devastated are totally normal feelings and it will take time to process all of this...especially since hubby has already moved on with someone you know. (UGH!...sorry, but I am just disgusted FOR you...and I can only imagine how I would feel if my dh up and does this to me one day...because, let's face it, none of us are immune. :()

*hugs*

My dh told me he was getting a divorce at the beginning of the year, I am devistated and feel so lost. I have a sister who lives in another state, my two older dd's 20 and 18, but they are gone all the time. Then my little one who I am so lucky to have she is 5. Then that's it, no friends and no other family of my own. My dh was my best friend and he says we still are, but he has moved on and is with someone new for the last 5 weeks, of course someone I know. I forgot to mention I am here with no vehicle.

So the reason I am posting is I am looking for some direction of where to go from those who have been through this. And maybe make some friends who I can chat about this with. I am not very good with being alone but i guess you can say I am adjusting. And the last two months after he moved out in the beginning of April I was a babbling idiot. I am not crying so much now, but I still feel so devistaed and lost. Unfortunately I was very dependant on my husband in many ways besides financially. So I hope I will find some responses to this because I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks

Susan

I'm very sorry. I have a friend that went through something very similar. What you are feeling is totally normal. While I can't predict the future, she ended up loving the next chapter of her life. She discovered herself, so to speak. I hope that things get better for you. :grouphug:

So, he said you are still best friends but he's left you? That doesn't sound like someone you need around you long term anyhow. There is always a future for you and lots of good men to choose from who aren't talking out of both sides of their mouths. :)

There are quite a few single moms here. You aren't alone. It will get easier than it is now. I promise. If I can make it, you can. Trust me. I was the weakest person in the world and scared and painfully shy to boot.

Same here. It was tough but I really enjoyed my time as a single mom. It really taught me what I was made of!

:iagree: She may be a duckling, but she's a very wise duckling.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It will get better. :grouphug: I agree with nikkistone as well... pick up Psalms and pray them. There is supernatural power that can be yours if your ask. There is peace that passes all understanding if you're willing. You are never alone because HE is your husband. He is the only one who will never let you down. :grouphug:

:iagree: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thank you for speaking up so we can offer some support.

Have you looked at a women in transition program - sometimes offered by a local community college or local agency, and usually free of charge? I know the one offered in our community has been a huge help to many women. The "networks" they offer and support systems in place locally may assist you to thrive, not just survive. What about a divorce-care at a local church for you and your daughter? A friend recently went through the course and she said it was most valuable.

Thanks so much everyone. I have been with him for 23 years. Its so confussing he tells how much he loves me and such, but he's with someone else. He takes me grocery shopping once a week and visits4 days a week to see the youngest and visits with me. He is my only adult company. The rest of the time it's just me and Jenna.

:grouphug: Honey, you need some support. Is there a homeschool group you can join? A mommy & me class? A parent & child art class? Any clubs to join where you can meet a new friend? What are your interests? Is there something you've always wanted to learn more about? We've got to get you out there and connecting with someone else. I'm worried about you! :grouphug:

I'm thinking you might also (along with here) find support on this forum http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/welcome.asp helpful actually. Do you think he had plans to be with and/or was with that someone else already when he told you he wanted a divorce? Is the new someone recently divorced or in a divorce process? That there was interest in or a relationship of some sort (emotional affair for example--close "friendship" with her) makes a lot more sense. You may not have all the information. But even if he moved out in April and met someone five weeks later coincidentally I still think the forum will help you. He's still married to you, right or is the divorce final? If he's still married right now a new relationship now is out of line anyway I believe even if the relationship wasn't in the works before.

For example, they have questions and answers here and this is one I'll link next for example on starting recovery for yourself that I think you could use ideas from in your own circumstances. http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/faq_bs.asp#FAQ15

On this link at the bottom they have some articles on divorce that might help. http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/articles.asp and the forum itself has a divorcing section.

I think it might be help to you even if he wasn't unfaithful.

Can you join something (a church, a hobby group, etc.) where you might make some new connections and friends?

I think you very likely need counseling. You're grieving and likely traumatized/shocked. Ugh. I'm really, really sorry. :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Hon,

He dealt you this hand, and it stinks. :( But, now you have to play the hand to the best of your ability. Not the worst of your ability.

1. Get a lawyer.

2. Get a vehicle.

Otherwise, you are going to be stuck in limbo for far longer than is necessary. And your outcome could be far less advantageous for you.

Yes, I've been there. :grouphug:

You can do this- you are going to be ok. I have no idea of the support systems available that you will need to tap into, but even if it takes moving way away from where you are now, you need to find your support and a way to be independent. Take one step at a time and let it unfold.

I have no idea what to say to you that wouldn't sound just pathetic advice, but I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you and sending you some strength. Many, many women have been through what you are going through, and have come out the other end stronger and wiser (including my own mother).

Edited by Peela

1. Get a lawyer.

2. Get a vehicle.

Otherwise, you are going to be stuck in limbo for far longer than is necessary. And your outcome could be far less advantageous for you.

My Mom forgot to do the first, thirty years ago, and the outcome was less advantageous for her and my sister and I for our entire childhood. Don't trust in goodwill for a good outcome...

That said, my Mom certainly did come out the other end a stronger person.

She also chose to move us closer to her extended family soon after the divorce. Not good for our relationship with my father, but much, much better for us in the long term, and helped her enormously to be close to her sisters in the short term.

I feel for you. As I said, my parents divorced 30 years ago, and the thought of that level of betrayal still makes me feel a little ill.

I'm so sorry. I only have experience from a child's point of view. But, I did want to say you don't need "rides" to the grocery store, you need your own car. :glare: That is the first step.

I hope you have a lawyer helping you. Please join a local divorce support group in a church or other community group.

My mom moved us across the country to be with her family. It wrecked my social circle - my sister and I went from popular crowd in middle school to totally isolated in high school. Even in my immaturity, I knew it was all for the absolute best and I didn't want it any other way for my mom's sake. We were in it together, thick or thin!

Edited by LNC

Thanks so much everyone. I have been with him for 23 years. Its so confussing he tells how much he loves me and such, but he's with someone else. He takes me grocery shopping once a week and visits4 days a week to see the youngest and visits with me. He is my only adult company. The rest of the time it's just me and Jenna.

I'm in a similar boat. DH walked out to be with another woman. I have been trying to work without an attorney, but have now come to the realization that I cannot do it without one, in order to protect myself and my children.

He is also threatening to stop payment on my vehicle, which is in his name. So I am looking at leasing one (so that I don't own something that he can lay claim to). I need a car to work.

I don't have family nearby, but I do have a great support of women and my church. There's even some fabulous men married to these great women, who have been wonderful in helping me rearrange furniture, and do a couple things here at the house.

I've thought about moving, but for me, right here seems best for me. I got a job that I can work around homeschooling. I have support to help with the kids. If DH chooses to try to see the kids, at least they are nearby.

Yes, counseling might be great for you. Yes, you need a support system around you. If you need to move to do that, then do it.

Hon,

He dealt you this hand, and it stinks. :( But, now you have to play the hand to the best of your ability. Not the worst of your ability.

1. Get a lawyer.

2. Get a vehicle.

Yes, I've been there. :grouphug:

:iagree:

You need to protect yourself and your future. Getting a lawyer won't push him away if he has any intention of reconciling (something it seems like many women worry about). I am 6 months into a divorce and the best thing I did was hire a good lawyer. Also, you really need to find a support network other than him. I don't know where you are but you could try meetup.com to find local groups that you might click with to start building friendships.

:grouphug:

I agree with the others get a lawyer. You can take steps now to require him to help out financially with you and your daughter. You don't have to wait until things are "official". You want to make sure you understand the laws in your state (example - if college payments and health insurance are not explicitely stated in the divorce paper, what are the expectations?)

I think it's important for you to get your own vehicle. It is going to be hard to get out there and meet new people if you have no way to get around.

You want to make sure that he still contributes to pay any health insurance plans that are through his work, continues to help with bills on the house (even if he doesn't live there anymore).

Your husband seems to be helpful and accomadating now but that could change at any time. You do not want to continue depending on him voluntarily helping out.

I know its hard but you should also think about what you want your future to look like. I made some decisions in the midst of my divorce (in an attempt to "be nice") that have made things harder in the long run. Don't be afraid to go after what you want/need. You need to be able to support your daughter, you need to be able to move on with your life. I wanted the whole process over so I didn't fight for some things I should have.

Counseling is definitely a good idea as well.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. I know you probably feel very low right now, but I do agree with those who say get a lawyer. He has obviously made plans without you- you need to start doing the same thing. If you are dependent on him for transportation and such, you need an advocate looking out for your interests so that you will be able to support yourself after the divorce. I was 18 when my parents divorced, so I remember quite a bit about it. It's completely devastating and you feel so shocked that you can't think straight. That's why you need someone outside the situation to make sure that your needs are met.

:grouphug: I have an online friend who went through something similar a few years ago-very hard she didn't work out of the home and homeschooled her kids-didn't drive so she was very dependant on her husband....it hasn't been easy for her to say the least but she's making it.....:grouphug:

I want to second a visit to this site. It saved my sanity and helped me get through what was a very traumatic time. I'm so sorry. You really need an attorney. You may have no idea what kind of plans he was making before or what has he done with the assets from your marriage? Is he paying you child support and spousal support? You need to shake up his world a little, he seems a bit foggy.

I'm thinking you might also (along with here) find support on this forum http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/welcome.asp helpful actually.

For example, they have questions and answers here and this is one I'll link next for example on starting recovery for yourself that I think you could use ideas from in your own circumstances. http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/faq_bs.asp#FAQ15

On this link at the bottom they have some articles on divorce that might help. http://www.survivinginfidelity.com/articles.asp and the forum itself has a divorcing section.

I think it might be help to you even if he wasn't unfaithful.

Can you join something (a church, a hobby group, etc.) where you might make some new connections and friends?

I think you very likely need counseling. You're grieving and likely traumatized/shocked. Ugh. I'm really, really sorry. :grouphug:

Susan,

I'm so sorry, but he is NOT your friend. He is treating you like his aged mother! This is high manipulation to get you to stay put and not do anything to benefit yourself.

Get a lawyer.

Move closer to family.

Make sure you get 23 years of restitution.

Praying for you(hug)

You know, I don't want to sound too harsh, but you really do need to be careful and watch out for yourself. I am sure you don't want to believe that someone who loved you for so long would ever do something to hurt you or your daughter, legally speaking. But he's already proven that he is willing to be selfish. Please take care of yourself and don't just "be nice" and hope he does the right thing...

I am sad with you.....I can't imagine this pain.....:grouphug:

Susan,

I'm so sorry, but he is NOT your friend. He is treating you like his aged mother! This is high manipulation to get you to stay put and not do anything to benefit yourself.

Get a lawyer.

Move closer to family.

Make sure you get 23 years of restitution.

Praying for you(hug)

:iagree:100% My parents went through a divorce after 36 years of marriage (VERY painful for ALL involved) and this was one of my Dad's manipulation tactics - being "nice" and "helpful." It wears off with time.

Get that attorney.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You have received wonderful advice already. Take one day at a time and do something each day to start moving in a direction that will help you and the children. He is manipulating you completely b/c he wants to control the outcome here since he knows he is going to have to answer and pay. Please don't depend on him if you don't absolutely need to.

You can actually file for support and custody even before you file for divorce, and without a lawyer, by obtaining the papers on line from your local family court. Start this asap and don't tell him anything.

My heart goes out to you completely. This happened to me in '95. I had 3 boys at the time. No education, no skills, and had just started hs'g for one year.

I was connected very well to a church and they supported me emotionally, spiritually and financially (for a few months while I was searching for my options). The Lord blessed and provided for me more than I could think or ask, especially since my head spun for a few years.

I had a lovely woman who volunteered to come to my home and hs my kids 4 days a week while I got free classes to learn how to use a computer and applications at the local community college due to my situation. Two other women and 2 families took my kids in the evenings while I worked as a waitress.

I found a law school where the students took a few divorce cases at the end of each year as practice and they filled out all my paperwork. I just needed a lawyer to file it.

My ex stole from me and the kids to support his girlfriend and their habits. He only paid about $1000 in child support ever (he owes us more than 100K and has warrants out but I will never pursue this). I never received alimony b/c I asked for the house and vehicle instead. Both were listed "and/or" on all the documents so thankfully I could sell my house eventually without his signature.

I immediately took my name off or closed dual accounts, credit/debit cards, and began establishing myself as an individual. I refused to pay debts that I did not incur. Yes, it went to collections, but I really didn't care, nor did I have the money. It eventually gets off your credit report.

We had joint custody but he never was involved in anything b/c he really just wanted his life and no commitment as a parent, full well knowing that the kids would be taken care of by the church or my family.

I had the option of moving back near my family but prayed to see if I could get a job to keep the house and support the kids while staying with our own support network. I started as a waitress and a few years later became a transcriptionist at home and was able to stay in my home and hs also.

We didn't get any welfare, but I did receive food stamps and healthcare for the kids for awhile. The state came and helped me with home repairs and heating oil under some program. Churches gave my kids Christmas gifts.

Ask and search for help. It is out there. I was not afraid to ask for help, but not a handout, as I didn't want to become a slave to the system and never be able to get out. Today we are now able to helps others.

It is so freeing to write all this out. There is so much more that I could write about in terms of ways the Lord provided for us through many avenues. It was the most difficult experience ever (even being a unwed teen mother). My 3 boys have suffered though even to this day due to the loss of a father. He disappeared within 2 years, after sporadic visits. They finally met him after 12 years. It did not continue even though he made more promises. I hope it helps them become better husbands and fathers.

One day I hope you can look back and see the many ways your needs were met and give thanks despite your trials. Hopefully it will make you stronger and find things you never knew about yourself and your children.

Keep us updated here so we can offer you words of support and virtual hugs. This is a great community and even though I don't post much since adopting the 4 kids (all at once), I have received lots of encouragement simply reading many posts from the folks here. You will get the same and more.

Lisa in DE

Blessed Mom to 7

I am a single mom, my sons father left us when my son was 3 months old. DH never looked back!

I am so sorry that you are facing this trial. I promise you will grow in ways you never dreamt and find you are stronger than you give yourself credit for!

Hugs to you!:grouphug:

You have received great advice. Please take it. Don't be lulled into thinking if only I play nice and don't make waves, he'll come back to me.

He's not your friend. He's having his cake and eating it too. He spends time with you and the new woman. Please protect yourself and your child and get a lawyer.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry for all the pain that you and your dd are going through. Please follow the advice everyone here has given you. My dad left my mom after 23 yrs. of marriage and she did not do any of the things suggested here. She and my little brother and sister sufferred greatly for it. Protect yourself and your daughter.

My prayers are with you.

Denise

Susan,

I'm so sorry, but he is NOT your friend. He is treating you like his aged mother! This is high manipulation to get you to stay put and not do anything to benefit yourself. QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. Sounds very manipulative - seems he wants his cake, and eat it, too. I agree w/other posters: get a lawyer, therapist, vehicle - if at all possible. Take every step toward independence, no matter how big or how small. Be matter of fact in your dealings w/ the adulterer and, yes, begin to see him that way. I am not suggesting you be nasty toward him... just matter of fact. Begin the healing process of letting go. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Believing good things will come for you, in time. Saying a prayer for you and your dd.

I've been there on the infedility, manipulation, and divorce. I was in a better situation; I had family support (though not local), in person support, church support, and even online support. I also had a vehicle and education (although it was out of date and I had been out of the workforce long enough that I returned to school). When I had health insurance, I went to counseling.

I'll be honest. I am 6ish years post divorce, remarried, and it is still HARD.

I'll reinforce what others said: get an attorney.

I also encourage you to build a community of support.

Here are two links that may also help you:

http://www.coabode.org/

http://www.divorcecare.org/

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Honey girl, he is not your friend. If he were, we would not be having this discussion. He's playing you.

You need to get out more. Whatever it takes, you need to get out more. Find a way to be less dependent on him. Whatever it takes. Right now he's getting a free ride: he gets to be with the shack-up honey plus he gets to make himself feel better because he so kindly takes you grocery shopping and visits his child. He VISITS his child, FCOL.

ITA with JenC3: Get a lawyer, move closer to family, make sure you get 23 years of restitution. Do it now.

Here's my parents' story. It's very similar to your own.

Married 29 years, he said he wanted a divorce. Tried playing the "we can still be friends" bull**** because he figured my mom was nice enough and would want to keep the peace. I told her it was bs and she needed a lawyer. Thankfully, enough other people told her to get a lawyer so she did. He didn't want her to get a lawyer because his idea of "fair" was to give her half of everything they already owned and to only give her maintenance (formerly known as alimony) for two years. She hadn't worked in 28 years, she's disabled from cancer, and she has no job skills anymore. He kept threatening to cut her off his insurance if she didn't agree to that deal, so she ended up having to file for divorce on him and make it illegal for him to change anything. The mediator they had to go to told her that she could have walked into court without an attorney and gotten a better deal than what he was offering.

So yeah, my biggest advice: get an attorney.

And hugs :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I was a grown adult with children of my own when this happened and it nearly ripped me in two. I am so sorry you are going through this. It really is such a painful thing.

I'm so sorry.

You must be hurting.

How are all of your daughters taking it right now?

Can you take the bus of walk to any shops for groceries?

Do any of your local shops deliver?

It saves a lot on petrol to simply walk or ride the bus.

It might surprise your husband if you weren't home next time he came around to "visit".

Praying for you.

This story makes me ashamed of my fellow "men" who pull stuff like this. If you don't want to be married anymore, fine then that's your business. However, whatever happened to honor and handling things like a man? He needs to get things squared with his present wife before he starts working on another. I'm totally against divorce, but if it's going to happen, there's a right way to do it.

What kind of "man" leaves his wife of 23 years and child stuck at home without providing for them some mode of transportation? What if there were some type of emergency that required a vehicle, not to mention the everyday things like shopping. I don't get it. I really don't know how he could face anyone who has any knowledge of this situation.

I've never been through this, but all the advice you've been given regarding attornies and protecting your interests seems to be very sound. I hope you're able to make it through this and find an honorable man to take the place of this less-than-honorable man.

Edited by Dad 4 Boys