Menu

Can I just say that...

My children are begging for a FB account. They can keep begging until they are older than 14 which is the youngest that FB will allow you to have one. I refuse to lie so my children can do something "everyone else" does. I also have said this in front of parents that allow their children to have a FB page. Lying is wrong and that is what I'm trying to teach my children.

ITA. I make my kids wait till 18. I know...torture. I am sort of relenting, tho. My middle dd will be 18 in 1.5 wks, and graduates next Friday. She was mercilessly hacking my fb page this week, so in desperation, I cut her loose ;o). I'm sure all her friends are relieved. She got her account last night, and I woke up this morning to her friend request on my fb, with the notation that she already had like 75 friends LOL! Talk about speedy networking :o). Not all teen friends, though. Mix of family, family friends, and other friends. I'm not worried about her in the least. But I made her wait darn it.....oh and how she begged and pleaded at age 16!! I was the worst mom in the world. No regrets here :o). Even with the occasional hack LOL.

I think a 7 yo shouldn't even know what FB is. Mine doesn't!

Mine don't have FB accounts, but they know what it is. We often show them pictures of friends or cousins who live far away that have been posted. They also know that we post pics of them for the grandparents to see. Yesterday I took ds' picture. As soon as I took it, he said, "Can you put that on FB?" :lol:

I think a 7 yo shouldn't even know what FB is. Mine doesn't!

Both my older kids know what FB is, and tell me that I should put something or other on FB. I used to let DS play that stupid flower garden game on my account sometimes, back before I deleted all that stuff.

I don't believe either of them has ever asked for an account of their own, though.

And I don't believe they know who Justin Bieber is. In fact, I don't think *I've* ever heard him, though I'm obviously aware of his existence.

My 9 y/o has FB. She is allowed on it to communicate with family. Her only friends are family and my mom friends. She is not allowed on it without permission and supervision. I Log onto to it regularly to make sure nothing in appropriate is on her feed. It's set to private as well.

If used appropriately I see no problems with it.

Mine don't have FB accounts, but they know what it is. We often show them pictures of friends or cousins who live far away that have been posted. They also know that we post pics of them for the grandparents to see. Yesterday I took ds' picture. As soon as I took it, he said, "Can you put that on FB?" :lol:

I can see that type of situation...it didn't immediately come to mind because we have no extended family who post pictures on FB.

My DS always wants to post stuff on Facebook. We live about 600 miles away from our closest family (others are father away), so it's the primary way we exchange pictures, videos, and small pieces of news. DS loves to have me post videos of him and DD and then see what his grandparents and aunt and great-aunts and great-uncles have to say in response.

But, I wouldn't let him have his own account until he was 14, or whatever age FB allows you to make an account.

I totally agree with you! My dd8 & dd4 know what Facebook is, but that's only because they sit down with me every 2 or 3 weeks to look at the new pictures that our extended family has posted. That is the extent of my Facebook life!:D We don't even allow our older dd's (13 & 15) to have a Facebook account, although they have asked).

It is against the Facebook terms of service for a child under the age of 13 to have a Facebook account. Period.

If parents want to give their children accounts, but the parents are the ones actually controlling their accounts (e.g. parent completely supervises child's actions on Facebook), that's one thing. If a parent sets their 7yo free on Facebook with no supervision, I think that's really dangerous. I wouldn't add either child, however - I post too much stuff that I wouldn't want a 7yo reading.

One of my 14yo brother's friends keeps trying to add me on Facebook, and I refuse every time. :glare: I'll have my brother as my FB friend, but not his friends, mostly because I don't know them!

Holy Cow! I typically enjoy these threads, but today they seem to be full of judgement. What on Earth does "knowing who Justin Bieber is" have to do with good parenting? Why shouldn't a child have a facebook page that is monitored by parents? We have a "family" facebook page that we share to keep in touch with our loved ones, and my 9 year old uses it.

Holy Cow! I typically enjoy these threads, but today they seem to be full of judgement. What on Earth does "knowing who Justin Bieber is" have to do with good parenting? Why shouldn't a child have a facebook page that is monitored by parents?

I don't get the Justin Bieber thing, either.

I think the issue with a child having a FB page is that it's against the terms of service for somebody under 13 to have an account, whether it's monitored by the parents or not. At least I think so.

I think the issue with a child having a FB page is that it's against the terms of service for somebody under 13 to have an account, whether it's monitored by the parents or not. At least I think so.

Yeah, it's against Facebook's TOS for somebody under 13 to have an account. According to their TOS they will delete any account if they find that the holder of the account is under 13. And according to their TOS, the minimum age in some jurisdictions may be higher than 13.

I wouldn't let my kids join a social networking system on the computer until they were at LEAST the required age. No way.

My SIL has a 10 year old son who wants to be my FV friend but I will not "friend" a child. Yuck and he has no business doing it, as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, it's against Facebook's TOS for somebody under 13 to have an account. According to their TOS they will delete any account if they find that the holder of the account is under 13. And according to their TOS, the minimum age in some jurisdictions may be higher than 13.

My ds waited until his 13th birthday to get an account so he would not have to lie to get one. I never would have allowed it anyways but I was proud of him for making that decision on his own when a lot of his friends had one at much younger.

My children are begging for a FB account. They can keep begging until they are older than 14 which is the youngest that FB will allow you to have one. I refuse to lie so my children can do something "everyone else" does. I also have said this in front of parents that allow their children to have a FB page. Lying is wrong and that is what I'm trying to teach my children.

I know someone who did allow the underage child to get a fb account. When said child was old enough, they tried to change the birth date to the correct one and couldn't.

Can I just say that....I agree! My ds11 loves farmville. He plays on my account with little access to my page. I log in, get him to farmville and he has fun. My friends all know that it's my son playing and try to send things his way that he would like.

But his own account? No way. 15? Maybe. We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

2 of my cousins are on facebook and friended me and they are both under 13. It is kind of weird because we aren't that close and they constantly send weird game request stuff to me. But I pretty much had to accept their friend requests because it would cause major family drama if I didn't. I do love them though so it is good to keep in touch that way. But I just usually thought of facebook as a way to keep in touch primarily with friends my age so I still kind of wish they hadn't friended me...it just feels weird. :confused:

The reasoning behind this is COPPA, which has strict regulations about what private information can be gathered about children under 13 on the internet. Because of the nature of Facebook, they would be breaking COPPA all over the place if they allowed children under 13 to be on Facebook according to their rules.

Mark Zuckerberg was quoted as saying he wanted children under 13 to be able to use Facebook, however. Don't have the link though.

We have a friend who signed her 6yo up with an account so she could play the games. I'm in a place where I am learning not to have an opinion about what others are doing. ;)

My niece did this with my 7yo great-nephew. I decided it wasn't going to do any good for me to say anything. We have radically different parenting styles.

My dd knows she won't be allowed until she's at least 13, probably older.

I don't understand the listening Bieber=bad parenting thing either. If you have ever seen his movie you would see how extremely talented he is and how hard he works his butt off. My dd6 loves JB.

As one of the people who responded that their kids didn't know who JB was... I wasn't meaning to imply anything about parents who did.

More that my kids live under a rock :lol:

Yes I agree. I would not sign my kids up for a Facebook account before the allowed age, and not sure I even would then. My kids know what Facebook is and often look at pictures and things that friends and family post. I do not really have any friends on there that post offensive things. My ds has chatted with his cousin in Mexico a couple times through mine and my SIL account, but I was right there by him.

In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, a seven-year-old has no business on Facebook.

Please feel free to completely ignore this. I just had to say it.

Not to mention having multiple accounts under a variety of fictitious with ever-changing names for a child under 13 (or over it for that matter).

I'm not sure what the purpose of this would even be, unless the parent has no clue??

I show my kids photos of family, etc, and grandparents will ask them things through my page. This is totally different.

Said seven-year-old has been busily "friending" high school and college-age relatives. The conversations and content, language:001_huh:, etc., reflect that age group, and has absolutely nothing to offer a seven-year-old. I just don't get it.

My kids either say..."you have to post that on FB!" or "Please don't post that on FB!" LOL We post for far away family as well, and we often catch up with them through FB chat and through pictures of each other. Our kids don't care to have their own accounts. As long as I include them on the catching up through mine, I assume it'll stay that way. They only see it as keeping up with family and close friends, no games, no craziness and I am strict about my friend list.

ETA: My youngest siblings however, DO have accounts and they are only 2 and 4 years older than my oldest who will be 10 in a few days. I like keeping up with them, and I like seeing what they are into and who their friends are (fb stalking, anyone?) but I sometimes wish I didn't know so much! Kids these days! EEK!!

Guest momk2000

I don't even want to be on Facebook. :tongue_smilie: I certainly don't want my kids on there. My 10yo dd knows of at least 2 kids in the neighborhood that have FB accts without the knowledge of their parents. All a child has to do is lie about their age, and voila! I think they should get rid of sites like FB.

In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, a seven-year-old has no business on Facebook.

Please feel free to completely ignore this. I just had to say it.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think *I* have any business being on Facebook. I'm not a fan. At all.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think *I* have any business being on Facebook. I'm not a fan. At all.

Yep. I've never had a Facebook account and (at least for now) I don't have any desire to have one.

My teen does have a Facebook, however. I allowed her to make an account at 14.

It's just not something that interests me.