Menu

Has anyone done all of AG in 6th and 7th grade, or all in 6th grade?

I can't bear the thought of spreading it out over three yrs.

Dd (rising 6th grader) is advanced, especially in LA (she blew through R+S English 5 doing it orally with me in less than three months, and that was her first foray into diagramming. It was a piece of cake for her.)

I thought about taking next yr off from grammar but I'm afraid she'll forget her diagramming. So she wants to do R+S again next yr but I can't bear the thought of it. I think AG looks like a good way to stretch her and give a different perspective. Heather in VA said in another thread that it helped her dc *apply* what she was learning in a profitable way, which is what I want.

But I HATE the way AG leaves the phrases/clauses until year 2-I would definitely at least want to cover that next yr too. And then it seems strange to leave punctuation (which she knows well) til year 3!

And actually from the AG sample, it looks like she could very easily do AG and it might be too easy for her.

So has anyone done it all in one or two years in 6th or 7th?

I suspect after that we'd go into R+S 7 or else skip it and go right to R+S 8 and then be done with grammar. (I know AG says it is complete but I will still want more, since we'd be ending AG early.)

Edited by HappyGrace

My ds started AG last year in 7th and is more than halfway through the book. It is set up to have repetitive exercises for four days then a test on the fifth..

Ds is strongest in grammar, so when we came to chapters where he was just flying through the exercise I did not have him do all the exercises for the week, we just moved on. I liked that, in especially the earlier chapters, the work is cumulative. I mean, you learn about prepositional phrases, then you are marking and diagramming those throughout the rest of the book, kwim?

I anticipate that he will finish the book before the end of the coming year.. I have some of their review books to use with him beyond that... And will likely use their occasional high school reviews in high school.

It's almost hard for me to give up having a grammar program for him beyond AG and 8th grade, lol, because it seems so effortless for him...

I can't bear the thought of spreading it out over three yrs.

Dd (rising 6th grader) is advanced, especially in LA (she blew through R+S English 5 doing it orally with me in less than three months, and that was her first foray into diagramming. It was a piece of cake for her.)

I thought about taking next yr off from grammar but I'm afraid she'll forget her diagramming. So she wants to do R+S again next yr but I can't bear the thought of it. I think AG looks like a good way to stretch her and give a different perspective. Heather in VA said in another thread that it helped her dc *apply* what she was learning in a profitable way, which is what I want.

But I HATE the way AG leaves the phrases/clauses until year 2-I would definitely at least want to cover that next yr too. And then it seems strange to leave punctuation (which she knows well) til year 3!

And actually from the AG sample, it looks like she could very easily do AG and it might be too easy for her.

So has anyone done it all in one or two years in 6th or 7th?

I suspect after that we'd go into R+S 7 or else skip it and go right to R+S 8 and then be done with grammar. (I know AG says it is complete but I will still want more, since we'd be ending AG early.)

I know exactly how you feel! Last year, my son did Hake 6th, and I loved how it covered absolutely everything with plenty of review. We were ready for a change, so I bought AG for 7th grade. I don't want to rush through it, but I can't stand the thought of him only doing diagramming this year (season 1). So, I'm ordering Daily Grams for him to do after he finishes AG. It has a one page lesson each day that covers punctuation and other editing skills and a combining sentences exercise. He'll also have the review book to work on once every couple of weeks from AG.

If you still need R&S after AG then it isn't doing its job. Even with my dd who is weaker in grammar we are not continuing with another full-blown grammar program. We did AG Season 1/2 last year (7th) and Season 3 this year. Something like Daily Grams will be plenty.

Thanks so much! I am still waffling...she'd really like to do R+S.

At least I have it down to R+S or AG. I did like the explanations in R+S and she picked it up effortlessly.

AG is kind of $$$-I don't mind spending the money at all but I don't want to get it and it is too easy or not what I imagined. Plus that dumb three-yr sequence thing....

I'm going to go look up old threads to see if AG is *really* enough grammar-lol!

If your dd wants R&S, I would say go with it. Having the child motivated to do a subject is worth not switching. And R&S costs way less but gives just as solid grammar foundation as AG with the added bonus of writing being covered just as solidly.