Menu

books on hs for a research paper

I'll be writing a college argumentative paper on a topic of my choice and I'd like something that has to do with homeschooling. It has to be something controvercial. I'm not sure what my argument will be yet, so share your ideas if you have any.

Also, what are your favorite "why homeschool" books?

I'd choose something that interests you personally. Think about the different obstacles you've had in homeschooling, or things that have made you wonder whether homeschooling is the better option than "regular" schooling and go from there. There's lots of great books and articles on homeschooling, so you shouldn't have any problem getting enough material to work with. It's easier to write a persuasive paper when you feel strongly about your side of the argument. :)

What kind of controversial? Do you mean education style (phonics vs sight word) or cultural (spanking vs non spanking) or religious (ye vs oe)?

A great book with good explantations regarding education style would be Ruth Beechicks 3 Rs Series (3 small books sold together usually under $10).

Cultural maybe something by the Pearls (I am not a fan) or Raymond Moore (Better late than early).

Religious - I don't have a suggestion sorry, but some of these folks can help.

Or do you mean whether or not to homeschool? Exteme homeschooling ideas? Try Grace Llewellyn (Teenage Liberation handbook) or something by John Holt.

Sorry this is a complete mush of ideas. Hope some of it helps. :001_smile:

I'll be writing a college argumentative paper on a topic of my choice and I'd like something that has to do with homeschooling. It has to be something controvercial. I'm not sure what my argument will be yet, so share your ideas if you have any.

Also, what are your favorite "why homeschool" books?

A topic that I would love to delve into more is the discussion of African-American homeschooler and the resistance they get from their friends and family. I remember reading one article where a homeschooler related the conversation she'd had with an older relative. The relative was agast that after working so hard for "equal education" the woman would consider pulling her kids out of public school.

On the other hand, you could make an arguement that public schools aren't necessarily serving African-American children well.

I think there is a whole book about the homeschooling experiences of African American families where each chapter is an interview with another family. (I'm probably thinking of Freedom Challenge.)

Other topics might be

homeschooling and differentiating exceptional children (either gifted or special needs) vs public school and services through an IEP (does the PS provide better services because they have professionals or is it worse because it's not responsive enough?).

Homeschooling as a place to encourage religious/philosophical priorities vs homeschools as places of isolation and intolerance.

Homeschooling as a place to better encourage boys or girls away from stereotypes and peer pressure.

Homeschools (and private schools) taking away money from public school budgets by lowering their average daily enrollments. Or causing harm by removing the "good" students or the "involved" parents.

The need or lack of need of homeschooling oversight by state or local governments or through testing.

Do homeschoolers represent intolerant extremists?

Books might include:

The Case for Classical Christian Education, or Repairing the Ruins by Douglas Wilson (about classical education thought not so much homeschooling).

Many articles in back catalogs of The Classical Teacher (Memoria Press) or the Veritas Press catalog (usually these are in the resources section).

Old Schoolhouse Magazine, Home Education Magazine.

Patricia Lines did some early academic work on homeschoolers (in the 1990s and early 2000s).

You might look at some of the articles in opposition to homeschooling from a few years ago and try to oppose some of their assertions about homeschooling and homeschoolers. Robert Reich and Kimberly Yuracko should give you some good material to debate.

Lots of blog articles.

You might have better book results if you look for books on educational choice rather than homeschooling specifically. I think the market for homeschooling books is more in the inspirational, organizational and how to vein. Magazine and online articles seem to represent more of the why we do it line of writing.

Education Next might be a good resource. It is the journal of the education think tank at Hoover Institute.