Menu

I'm looking for a tried & true recipe for

a chocolate chip cookie that is chewy, chunky and NOT flat and NOT cakey. The one I normally use turned out flat today & I'm not happy with it. :glare: I did everything that is recommended to produce non-flat cookies. The recipe was allrecipes' "Best, Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies."

Anybody have a really good one?

If you want thicker cookies try freezing the dough at least an hour or chilling it in the fridge over night. Between batches put it back in the fridge.

The colder the dough is the less it will 'melt' down resulting in a thicker cookie. All cookie dough should be chilled (most people just don't care and make it right after mixing it up).

My cookies always come out chewy and never flat because I only use shortening. I figure that it's a cookie. It isn't supposed to be healthy. Here's my recipe:

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1tsp vanilla

1 cup shortening

Mix

Then add:

2 1/4 cups flour

1tsp salt

1tsp baking soda

1/2 bag chocolate chips

Bake at 350 degrees until almost done (about 10 minutes). I let mine sit on the pan for a little while after I've removed them from the oven. It makes the bottoms crispy but leaves the center gooey.

Now I want chocolate chip cookies.:lol:

Ah, you like the same chocolate chip cookies that I do.

Here's my secret recipe:

Buy the tollhouse morsels. Use the recipe on the package for the bars. Double the chocolate. (A 10 lb bar of semi-sweet chocolate from Trader Joe's is great for this--chip off little chunks until you have twice the weight of chocolate called for in the recipe). Bake for the short end of the time range.

Your cookies will be tall, doughy, fudgey, and not cakey at all. Every time.

I agree with those that said use shortening. I use the recipe on the butter crisco can/package and they come out great every time. Oh, wait I just remembered one time they didn't, turns out I had old backing soda. I don't make cookies often, but when I do I buy a fresh box to open just for them, then put it in the fridge to stave off funk.

Nestle Toll-House Recipie on the Bag--Remix version (less butter and salt)

My mom used the original recipie as a basis for a jumping off point to make hands-down the best choc. chip cookie you will put in your mouth (if you like soft/chewy cookies):

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened

3/4 cup suga

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 package (12 oz) of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix flour, soda, and salt in small bowl. Mix butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Add eggs to sugar mixture and mix together. Gradually add flour mixture into sugar mixture and combine. Add chocolate chips and stir until well combined. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes (this is what makes them super chewy: higher heat/less time). Allow to cool.

You can also make this into a chocolate chip pizza by patting out the dough in a pizza pan and baking on 400 degrees for 12 minutes.

My mother adapted the chocolate chip recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook and her cookies are chewy and amazing. YUM.

1 c. butter

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. granulated sugar

2 eggs

2 Tbsp. hot water

2 tsp. vanilla

3 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

12 oz chocolate chips

1 c. chopped nuts (optional - I don't use them).

Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs, water, and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Sift dry ingredients together. Add creamed mixture to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Add chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by Tbsp. on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until light brown.

(My mother was a Home Economics major from Oklahoma State University, so I tend to think she has comfort food down pat LOL).