Menu

Biology for 9th or 10th grade?

I just read in a post that Biology is usually a 10th grade course. My dd (14) will be in 9th grade this fall. She has completed Apologia General and Physical Science for 7th and 8th grades. I was planning for her to do Biology in the fall. Should I wait till 10th? If so, what should she do for 9th?

As an anecdotal reference, I took Biology in 9th in the 80s as did all my classmates. Based on (my) area high school catalogs, some schools schedule it in 9th (see page 61) and some schedule it in 10th (see page 21). In my biased opinion, as well as published school district rankings, the first is a better school district. But in any case, it seems that you could go either way without standing out dramatically from the pack.

ETA: I looked up the course catalog where I went to high school, and it still lists Biology in 9th, though it now also lists a cool looking two year integrated biology and chemistry as an option for 9th and 10th.

Edited by Elizabeth in WA

If she's ready for Biology in 9th then do Biology. :)

Biology was honors in 9th at my high school and our local high school considers those dc ready to take Biology in 9th to be on an accelerated science path.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

My dd is not a science person and doesn't want to be on an accelerated science path. I am not really sure if she is ready for Biology. I have heard there is a jump in the level of difficulty between Apologia's General/Physical Sciences and Biology. Not sure if that is true. So, maybe it would be better to do something else like earth science or environmental science or ? in 9th. I need to ask her what she'd prefer. Hmm...looks like I need to check out some science curriculum.

When I was in High School, I took Biology in 10th. BUT- I took Physical Science in 9th. When we started homeschooling, I read that a homeschooled 7th grader would do fine doing General Science in 7th, but a dc coming out of Public School would do better doing General Science in 8th. I guess it depends, if you child did fine with General Science and Physical science, keep going and do Biology in 9th. That is the way we plan on doing it.

Since I have lived in several place throughout the US, I have noticed that different states, or areas require different classes.

Where I grew up, Biology was a 10th grade class and still is a 10th grade class. However, where I live now Biology is a 9th grade class and has been for a long time.

Apologia is written so a 9th grade student can take biology. This is especially true if an 8th grade student took Physical Science. Each Apologia book gets a little bit longer and a little bit harder. However, Biology is very, very vocabulary intense. If the student has a hard time with memorizing, then Biology can be very difficult.

If your student had no problem with Physical Science, then I would continue with the Apologia pace and start Biology.

Many college want to see three (and sometimes four) lab science classes for entrance criterion. Biology is always considered a lab science, but earth science or environmental may or may not be considered a lab science.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

My dd is not a science person and doesn't want to be on an accelerated science path. I am not really sure if she is ready for Biology. I have heard there is a jump in the level of difficulty between Apologia's General/Physical Sciences and Biology. Not sure if that is true. So, maybe it would be better to do something else like earth science or environmental science or ? in 9th. I need to ask her what she'd prefer. Hmm...looks like I need to check out some science curriculum.

Yes, there is quite a jump! In fact, when dd started Apologia Biology in 10th, it was just waay too much for her. We stopped and did Mother of Divine Grace syllabus for Earth Science, which was a great course! She has finally gotten to Biology now in 12th, but is doing Ace Pace Biology with some hands on labs, some watching of the Ace DVD labs and also watching the Biology 101 DVD. She is liking and understanding the Ace Biology much more than Apologia. DS is doing the Apologia Biology for 9th, but honestly can't stand the Apologia method and the lack of enough visuals to help the information stick. It's great information, but very wordy. The Ace covers ALL the same information as the Apologia and then some, because it also includes human anatomy. The Ace isn't 'quite' as in depth on a few topics such as the microbiology in Apologia, but the constant interaction with the reading material in Ace with the numerous questions to answer and blanks to fill in helps much better with retention. I haven't really ever found that the On Your Own questions in Apologia were challenging in any way.

I am so thinkful for this forum and so glad I asked this question. I am now thinking Apologia Biology may not be for dd. She did do fine with General and Physical but she certainly did not love it. She is a good student and will do what I ask her to but, when she finished the Apologia sciences, she practically threw the books back at me. She was thrilled to be done. I am looking at all the other options now. I was simply not aware of all the choices out there and would happily listen to any suggestions. :bigear:

This may give me some hope... My dd did Physical Science this year (8th) and I'm stressing out about how to get the *exact* lineup that everyone says high schoolers MUST have: Physical, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

Does anyone know if the important aspect for graduation and transcripts is having intensive labwork vs. specific topics? My dd loves science but doesn't particularly want to redo Physical Science in high school...she'd like to do astronomy, earth science, anatomy or something else. :)

I am so thinkful for this forum and so glad I asked this question. I am now thinking Apologia Biology may not be for dd. She did do fine with General and Physical but she certainly did not love it. She is a good student and will do what I ask her to but, when she finished the Apologia sciences, she practically threw the books back at me. She was thrilled to be done. I am looking at all the other options now. I was simply not aware of all the choices out there and would happily listen to any suggestions. :bigear:

I hear ya! I wish we had not done biology this last year for my dd in 9th. We didn't know until we started looking for a Chem program for dd--something other than Apologia-- that most curriculums don't do Bio until 10th, and then do Chemistry in 11th. We too are looking for something else for 10th and certainly won't make the mistake of putting her in Chemistry for 10th. Live and learn. Ha!

I don't think it's a big deal but I'd love to hear what the other, more experienced, hs'ers say!

Yes, Bio is usually 9th grade these days, at least for college prep kids. The ps district I'm in has Honors Biology in 9th, or Natural Science in 9th and regular Biology in 10th.

However, I've seen a small trend towards moving it back to 10th (where it was when I was a kid). One of the more college-prep public schools near me uses Conceptual Physics in 9th. I was really surprised when I saw that, but now I notice it here & there.

Another comparison would be to look at homeschool curriculums, and what they "usually" offer for high school science. MFW's follows the "usual" Apologia sequence of bio, chem, physics, and advanced sci." Abeka Academy has Physical sci in 9th.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Another reason I LOVE homeschooling! My son completed Bob Jones Biology in 8th grade with full labs (local homeschooling mom teaches once weekly classes in her lab behind her house) and did just fine, he took Chemistry (Amsco) in 9th grade before he had quite finished Algebra and did just as well (A's in both)...my point is, it really does not matter, our two daughters just took Physical Science (also AMSCO) and they were technically in 6th and 7th grade...this particular course is considered to be an 8th or 9th grade level...they both scored A's. While it was challenging, they plugged through and learned rather well how to study for the 11 page finals this particular teacher gives at mid term and finals! I found I did need to review the chapters with the girls each week to help discuss the material in case there were any questions...with my son he did the work mostly on his own.

I do not care as much if I stick to what is 'standard' or recommended...each of our children work at their own pace...my children are advanced by grade levels in sciences but probably a year behind in maths...by the time we finish with our 12 years, everything and more will be covered...I have yet to start a subject and find they are not prepared...if they do not master it, I will just stay longer on a certain chapter or do a month intensive in it. I believe my children love the challenge and I feel strongly that they be able to have as many live lab experiences as possible....so I encourage science early..not knowing what the future may hold..courses are always popping up! :)

• 5 months later...

We do it in third grade here. Hahahaha... just kidding. ;) :D

From what I can tell, the local public schools all have Physical Science, Bio, Chem, and then (maybe, if they want a fourth year) Physics. But for those who are doing Algebra in 8th and looking at science careers, they do Bio in 9th, then Chem, Physics, and an AP science course in there somewhere. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I would look at your state's graduations requirements (if you follow them,) and the requirements of any colleges she might apply to and thenwork backwards.

You could always do a full year of Logic as your science. :001_smile: Or do a year of research and lab skills prep using areas of interest.

It completely depends on what your child is ready for, and what their future plans are (if they even have them). I currently have an 8th and 9th grader taking physical science. Both will take biology next year, as 9th and 10th grader. DD is thinking of being a vet, so I think it's important for her to take Biology in 9th. That will leave her with the option of an advanced science in 12th. DS is struggling with school work in general, so I knew he wouldn't be ready for Biology in 9th. I do plan for him to have 4 years of science, though, so he'll most likely have Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

I took Physical Science in 9th grade. I did very well in school, but my parents had friends whose daughter had really struggled with Biology in 9th, so they decided I should wait 'til 10th for it. It made no difference to me in the long run. I took up through Physics, graduated in the top of my class, and got a good scholarship to the school I wanted to attend.

• 9 years later...
On 4/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, Lori D. said:

ZOMBIE ALERT THREAD -- old thread resurrected by a 1st-time poster... 

🧟‍♂️

Why, why does this happen?  Why is it happening so often now?  Are newbies deliberately searching through the archives for the oldest messages?  What's going on?  

• Like 5

On 4/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, daijobu said:

Why, why does this happen?  Why is it happening so often now?  Are newbies deliberately searching through the archives for the oldest messages?  What's going on?  

They probably just searched for "biology" and found this thread. 

I know people who have veered off the beaten path for science with no problems. One of my dds skipped physics and did geology instead. You do need to make sure it's a lab course. If it's a student with very selective schools in mind, you may want to document rigor (name of textbook, table of contents, a few notes and short description just in case you need it). 

• Like 3