Menu

High School Science WITHOUT a co-op- Can it be done?!

We attempted to find a co-op for my will-be 9th grade son and it's just not working out schedule-wise. Is it possible to do high school science and labs (without going broke) without a co-op? I want him to be prepared for college.. but I'm not willing to put him back in school. We are Christians and would want a Christ/God acknowledging curriculum but with a good solid science foundation. I looked at Apologia but I'm still terrified! HELP!

Hi! Yes! It is very possible to do science at home without a co-op! Be prepared to spend a bit on lab equipment and supplies - it is worth it and makes learning science more fun. If you use DIVE cds along with your text you can watch video labs and then do lab write-ups. You could do this in place of actually doing the labs since he demonstrates proper lab procedures. This would minimize your lab expense, but would also minimize the hands-on part of science. We used DIVE for chemistry along with both Apologia texts. After watching the lab procedures on the cd, we did most of the labs and calculations. We would then check our calculations with his to make sure we were doing things correctly (obviously our data was a bit different from his). This worked very well for us. Home Science Tools is a great company to order science kits and supplies from, regardless of what branch of science you are studying. Also, there really are simple things you can do at home to illustrate concepts. If you are enthusiastic about science and labs, you can really have a great time with it! You can do it! One more thought - if you know another family with similarly aged kids perhaps you could do labs together and share the cost of supplies. Labs are sometimes more fun with a buddy.

Blessings,

April

Of course. That's how we oldtimers did it before the second generation of homeschoolers came along. :D

Science labs are more fun if there is a group, but with BJUP and ABeka having their high school sciences on DVD/video/on-line, an only can still do them.

FTR, biology is usually a 10th grade science; maybe between now and next year you can find one or two others who could come over to *your* house for the labs--just for the labs. They'd do everything else at home, their parents' responsibility.

What are the DIVE CDs? Thank you to the OP as I was stressing about the same thing today.

Here is a link: http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

DIVE started as video instruction to go with Saxon math. The instructor now has made science video instruction for physical science, biology, and chemistry. (he does physics also, but it is specific to Saxon physics) I think his lectures were designed to line up with BJU texts, but the cds can be used with a variety of texts, including Apologia. On the website, you can find a page of syllabi showing how to coordinate his lectures with different texts.He is Christian, but his materials can be used with secular texts as well. The DIVE cds include tests and video labs. Sample lectures are also on the website. We have only used this for chemistry - we found it excellent and a great preparation for AP chemistry. Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

I do not like co-ops at all. I honestly think they provide much weaker academics than I can provide at home. It is not that difficult to create solid science courses. Anyway, I haven't used co-ops for my students. (Most co-ops tend to use Apologia which is meant to be done at home.:confused: )

I am not an Apologia user and I do not like my science to be to Christian oriented even though I am one, so I have no recommendations for you except that Apologia would probably meet your criteria.

We are Christians and would want a Christ/God acknowledging curriculum but with a good solid science foundation. I looked at Apologia but I'm still terrified! HELP!

Apologia labs are totally accessible to homeschooling families. The challenge I found is just doing them! That was a large part of the reason we outsourced the labs. If you make it a priority for your student to complete the labs, they can be done in your kitchen! Good luck! :)

We used Apologia for biology. We didn't do ALL the labs, but many of them. We bought supplies from homeschoolscience and borrowed a good microscope. We have a not so good microscope that was fine pre-biology, but it was nice to have a good $250 one for biology. We borrowed it from a hs'ing friend that didn't have a child using it that year. It was a good year and I learned a lot too.

we use apologia over here. I don't have much interest in science in co-op around here. apparently they just have someone read the text to the students and send home with home work. labs are done together. and someone actually gets paid for that?

We get our lab supplies from http://www.hometrainingtools.com/Default.asp?

they have it sorted by curriculum on their site. worked fine. I used lesson plans from mfw to have a day to day - give it to the student to do - and supply list in one place.

crazy side note:

biology is commonly done in 9th grade around here. that might vary by place to place or something?

My husband was willing to do the dissections with our daughter. ;)

-crystal

I sure hope so because we are going to do it. I'm using DIVE Integrated Physics and Chemistry along with BJU's textbook for dd next year going into 9th. If some of the labs are difficult to find the stuff to do them, I purchased an old Apologia textbook to switch out some of the labs. I know that Apologia's labs are usually around the house kind of stuff.

If we like it, I'll use Dive for Biology and Chemistry. Dd isn't interested in majoring in science at this point, so I'm not sure what her 4th science will be. Our state requires that many. She may have to do Physics, but I don't know if I'll use Dive for it because it uses Saxon (not a Saxon fan here). I have a math degree, so I may just take her through Apologia Physics myself.

Another GREAT source for supplies for science is Quality Science Labs, the company that makes the Microchem kits. They also make a Physical Science Lab Kit, a Biology Kit AND a Physics kit! Great experiments with a lab manual that has clear instructions and good questions and data areas---and everything is contained in a nice, neat box.

We attempted to find a co-op for my will-be 9th grade son and it's just not working out schedule-wise. Is it possible to do high school science and labs (without going broke) without a co-op? I want him to be prepared for college.. but I'm not willing to put him back in school. We are Christians and would want a Christ/God acknowledging curriculum but with a good solid science foundation. I looked at Apologia but I'm still terrified! HELP!

It's very possible. With my oldest 2 boys we were in a co-op for years. They got all of their high school science that way. Due to some changes and feeling that the co-op was no longer meeting our needs, I pulled the younger 2 boys out just when they started high school. We're doing science on our own at home and it is going very well.

There are programs out there that have some good helps, i.e. the DIVE CDs, Khan Academy, etc.

Sure! I don't do academic classes (except for literature discussion and speech) at co-ops, because I am a fanatic about the rigor and quality of our high school courses. We completed Biology with BJU and the DIVE DVD. The labs weren't terribly expensive, though we did invest in a microscope (could have done without it because of the DIVE, probably.)

I wasn't impressed with Apologia's labs, but we did use the chem and bio courses successfully. We also did Environmental Science and Astronomy, and Physical Geog (with some labs, but I didn't count it as a lab science).

Totally doable, not very expensive. You can even go without the microscope, but we wanted it and got the Sonlight one.

Really, we are not science-y, and it was cake. :001_smile:

Another GREAT source for supplies for science is Quality Science Labs, the company that makes the Microchem kits. They also make a Physical Science Lab Kit, a Biology Kit AND a Physics kit! Great experiments with a lab manual that has clear instructions and good questions and data areas---and everything is contained in a nice, neat box.

:w00t: Thank you so much for mentioning this!

We never used a co-op for anything though I've been asked to teach co-op sciences and have opted not to do so.

DD took six sciences: biology, chemistry, advanced chemistry, physics, astronomy, anatomy and physiology. She is now a paramedic student and a pre-med student. She only missed two questions on the AP chem exam.

It's absolutely possible to do it in the home and I actually recommend it. Unless one can absolutely verify the rigorousness and structure of a co-op class, you cannot guarantee that it will be thorough...no different from sending them to school and just like school, you've lost your flexibility for your student to take longer with a difficult concept or speed up when they are learning quickly.

Faith

This is a great topic for discussion. I too am considering a co-op for next year, but they require you to teach and with three kids in a co-op that sounds like a lot of work for me! My main reason for considering it would be the interaction with other children and getting all the labs done.

After reading all these posts it now seems possible that we can just do it at home ourselves and save mom a lot of headaches!

Thank you for all the great sites on ordering lab equipment. We will be using apologia biology with MFW AHL.