Menu

Scheduling - FLL, WWE & WS1

Ecclecticmum

Hi,

We are planning to purchase First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease & Writing Strands (all Level 1/Grade 1) later on this year.

I am just starting to flesh out a general schedule for our curriculum, but can't find much info about day allotments for these?

-First Language Lessons - How many lessons are there? How many days a week is it scheduled for? Is it the same as Writing with ease (1 lesson per week covered over such and such days?)

-Writing with ease - How many days a week? I know theres one lesson a week, but not sure if its 4 or 5 days?

- Writing Strands 1 - I don't know if we will stick to WWE or WS once we get to level 2, but since Level 1 is more of a fun activities/oral thing, I though we could use this next year. Is there any sort of schedule/lesson to it? or just ideas? Would one activity a week cover it, or is it more a 4/5 day program?

I have gotten almost every other subject sorted out schedule wise, but have no idea how to organise these ones!

Thanks for any replies :)

WWE is scheduled to be 4 days a week, a total of 36 weeks. It's very simple and straightforward and we loved it! I'll be going through it again with my youngest next year.

FLL is a great, gentle intro to grammar. It's mostly done orally, you can go as fast or slow as your dc needs to. There are 100 lessons total in level one, if you school 36 weeks a year that's roughly 3 lessons (days) a week. You can see the Table of Contents here and the product description from peace hill press here.

I've never used Writing Strands at that level so I can't help there, sorry.

FWIW I have no intention of doing any writing with dd except WWE1. I don't think it's necessary at this level, and I have 3 other kids to school.;)

HTH

Edited by Jen+4dc

SWB recommends only doing the copywork, narrations, and dictation up until 3rd grade (which would be WWE 1 & 2 for grade 1st & 2nd). Then in 3rd grade she states you could add WS 2 along with your narrations and dictations.

I also believe there are some reviews out on the hive about WS1 really not being all that helpful and to wait and use WS2. My plan is to do WWE 3 and WS 2 in 3rd grade (but that is subject to change in two years!)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. We were planning to use Writing Strands 1 for our two younger ones, but after thoroughly reviewing (thanks to all the replies) we decided against it.

We have a number of LA programs we still can't decide on, so the rest will just be ordered and will decide to cut any of the rest of them once they arrive and I can have a good gander at them :)

We've sort of scrapped our current curriculum (SL) transferring the books over to "daddy's night-time reading list" and are just planning to finish up the workbooks, and concentrate on phonics & maths till we have next years curriculum in place :)