Menu

Mailman keeps leaving our box open...

Funny, our mailman who is actually a mail lady, has left ours open a couple times recently. I discovered there was a wasp nest nearby and wasps were getting into our mailbox. I think she was doing me a favor by not closing the door on the mail and the wasp inside so that I would open it , stick my hand in and get stung.

Or, it could just be a new USPS standard. :)

How strange that they're all doing it now. I mean, there have been times in the past that it was cracked, but today it was WIDE open.

She comes sometime between 3 & 7. Seriously, I don't think I've ever had such a wide window for mail delivery. So...although I'm home, I don't always see her.

She yelled at us the day we were moving in as we were carrying boxes because of where the cars were parked (not blocking the mailbox). I doubt she likes us better now, although we don't park where she doesn't like & I've left her cookies. So I'm not so sure a note would help anything.

Maybe if I quit ordering books USPS she'll start closing the box again. She seems to be glaring every time a box won't fit in the mailbox & has to bring it to the porch. I'd go get it from her if I saw her in time, but I usually see her getting back in her truck, so I just hide until she's gone. ;)

If you live in a house...couldn't they steal your mail even if the mailbox was closed? I don't see what difference it would make...

That being said, it sounds to me like maybe she just doesn't like you. :glare: Are any other mailboxes being left open, or just yours?

If you live in a house...couldn't they steal your mail even if the mailbox was closed? I don't see what difference it would make...

That being said, it sounds to me like maybe she just doesn't like you. :glare: Are any other mailboxes being left open, or just yours?

Yes, it could be stolen anyway. I haven't had a mailbox way out by the street my entire adult life, & it kind-of freaks me out, honestly.

But still. If you leave your house or car unlocked, people can come in & steal something. But you wouldn't *advertise* it by leaving the doors wide open, ya know? And sure, the boxes don't have locks, so it's not really the same, but w/ it open, it's a quicker, easier crime, & I think it's more likely to occur to someone if the box is open than if it isn't.

You know, it's summer time. Hapless kids are everywhere. In fact one shot out our front window last week. :001_huh: No reason to tempt them further, I figure. ;)

At our last home our mail carrier used to do this and it drove me crazy. It was in Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain and carries the mail out of your mailbox and out into the street. I have had to retrieve ours more than once from the neighbors yard. I always thought it was just laziness. DH did complain to the p.o.

Thank goodness our current mail carrier always closes the box and is sweet as can be when delivering packages to the door.

We have a cute mailbox that looks like a barn, but it is made of a durable plastic. One time I was looking out the window at the mailbox while a car whizzed by and I saw our mailbox door open. So now I think that if the mailman doesn't shut the door completely or tightly, the door can come open. So I just put a note on the inside of the door asking to please shut the door tight (or should I say shut the door tightly - that's an adverb so it should be tightly - right?).

• 9 years later...
On 6/9/2011 at 11:30 PM, Hannah C. said:

With the mailbox being wide open that is a even better time for someone to come steal your mail BECAUSE it is visible to the public. With the mailbox being closed someone can't see if there is anything in there to steal.. Do you see that difference. I hope so cause your reasoning is trash. Why in the first place should they be leaving mailboxes open ?? Do you have an answer for that?!