Menu

VT for an almost 5 year old

I have been working with DD on reflex integration exercises for the past year. We have decreased her strabismus signficantly now down to 1 degree for distance, 4 degrees for close. I really think VT may be the next step. I talked with the vision therapist today briefly. DD would be the youngest she has ever treated. Would you spend the $ on VT this early? The VT I talked to is the only gig in town, btw. She is connected with an eye dr. with not the best reputation in my mind, and I don't think she is COVD either. VT doesn't take outside referrals:(.

If she doesn't work with kids this young and isn't asssociated with covd, then I probably would not use her. My dd's assessment was a disaster because I decided to use a covd dr that doesn't see anyone under 6. THere are good VTs available out there that see younger children. If I could I would start my 4yo now because I think early intervention is the key to any diagnosis.

My VT was in an office with another optometrist that was not so great and it ended up being a royal pain. I can't tell you how many visits were filed incorrectly or too late with our insurance that ended up creating a hassle for us. Once our VT moved out of his office we never had those problems again.

What are your options if you widen the search on COVD? As Dobela said, sometimes it's better to drive farther and go less often to get the better vision therapist. The place we used has a lot of experience with small children, so there are places out there that can help you.

The VT seems spot on, and willing to see how DD does. DD is just now reading some, but with a very very short attn span that I think is vision related. I just don't trust the eye doctor. How much does my confidence in the eye doctor matter?

The VT seems spot on, and willing to see how DD does. DD is just now reading some, but with a very very short attn span that I think is vision related. I just don't trust the eye doctor. How much does my confidence in the eye doctor matter?
I think confidence in the eye doctor matters a great deal.

Why do you not trust the eye doctor? Who is doing the initial exams and the follow up exams? Is the VT just an assistant hired by the dr to do the sessions? Or is the VT another optometrist that shares an office with the dr you don't trust? Why are they not COVD?

A VT evaluation begins with a regular eye exam to determine vision acuity. After that is established then a more in depth VT eval is done. Who would be doing the regulae eye exam?

In my case the VT was a second optometrist, not just a lay person trained to work with the kids. I didn't have to deal with the optometrist I didn't like except for billing issues. But the billing issues became a huge hassle.

Ok, let me get this straight. So you have an eye doc who is not a developmental optometrist, has not diagnosed any issues with convergence, focusing, etc., but the therapist (who could be an OT doing VT or something which you haven't yet stated) is willing to do therapy?? Who is this person doing the VT?? If you they aren't labeling the problem, how do they know when they're solving it???

I think you should see if you can get Kenneth Lane's book. Nuts, I think you should get a proper COVD evaluation. I've heard mixed stories on OT's doing VT. My main concern is you're paying money you don't have for a therapy you haven't determined you need. Attention can be vision, but it is also working memory, ADD/ADHD. You want to slow down and make sure you're getting the information you need. These therapies are way too expensive to pay for and not get the goods.