Menu

Those of you who memorize VP history cards

plain jane

but use something else to study history- do you memorize all the cards or do you just stick to the era you are studying that year.

We're doing TOG Y1 next year (although I may make a last minute change to that :o) but I want to memorize the VP memory cards so my kids can have a basic flow of history in their minds (and because we didn't do much memory work this year and I want to make up for that).

I read in one thread (can't find it again as I can't recall what that thread was about entirely) about how some people simply memorize all the cards in one year, regardless of what time period is being studied. It never occurred to me to do that.

Since I'm placing my final homeschool order soon (and want to get everything together so I qualify for the free shipping amount) I'm wondering if this is how most people do it and if I should be looking at buying more cards soon?

Or, do we just do the OT/Ancient Egypt/Greece/Rome cards next year and add in more the year following?

We have memorized the VP Cards via Classical Conversations. We use SOTW for History along with VP suggested literature for the time period. We also make Timeline Notebooks using the timeline figures from Home School in the Woods. http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/

I love having the timeline memorized. It has thrown open the door of history for me!

We used the history sentences that came with Hannah C's cards for SOTW 1 (and didn't finish them, but that's beside the point...). She has them for each SOTW book, I think. I found one a week was about the perfect pace for us, as we were also trying to memorize other things, and I didn't want to overload dd, or spend more time on it that might take away time from other things.

but use something else to study history- do you memorize all the cards or do you just stick to the era you are studying that year.

We're doing TOG Y1 next year (although I may make a last minute change to that :o) but I want to memorize the VP memory cards so my kids can have a basic flow of history in their minds (and because we didn't do much memory work this year and I want to make up for that).

I read in one thread (can't find it again as I can't recall what that thread was about entirely) about how some people simply memorize all the cards in one year, regardless of what time period is being studied. It never occurred to me to do that.

Since I'm placing my final homeschool order soon (and want to get everything together so I qualify for the free shipping amount) I'm wondering if this is how most people do it and if I should be looking at buying more cards soon?

Or, do we just do the OT/Ancient Egypt/Greece/Rome cards next year and add in more the year following?

Like a pp, we also have memorized the cards a la CC--all 160 in one year. This year we are doing TOG year 3, and will still memorize them all. It was so simple to just add 8 new ones in each week, and now my kids have the base, it would be best for us to just keep reviewing it in the same way.

Can you tell me more about the VP cards? Is there something special you "do" with them? Or do you more just flip through and read them? They have always looked interesting to me.

How do they pair up with SOTW? (We are doing SL6 next year, pretty sure)

Is it difficult if they are memorizing cards they don't have any other information about?

Can you tell me more about the VP cards? Is there something special you "do" with them? Or do you more just flip through and read them? They have always looked interesting to me.

How do they pair up with SOTW? (We are doing SL6 next year, pretty sure)

Is it difficult if they are memorizing cards they don't have any other information about?

This is the whole "out of context" question that is always being discussed, and while in general I think it is good to have the context, this was not a problem for my kids at all. We have the thing memorized, and as the kids learn new things, they recall that card from the list and are usually pretty psyched that they have made another connection.

So, would you start memorizing the first set of cards or would you start memorizing with the cycle you're on and go forth from there? For example, if you're doing the middle ages would you begin memorizing with the MARR cards or would you start with the OT/AE cards and just work up to the MARR cards?

So, would you start memorizing the first set of cards or would you start memorizing with the cycle you're on and go forth from there? For example, if you're doing the middle ages would you begin memorizing with the MARR cards or would you start with the OT/AE cards and just work up to the MARR cards?

I was wondering this too.

I was wondering this, too. Are the VP songs just as good?

I bought the VP song for the Bible cards and ended up abandoning it. I felt reciting the cards in order to be much more straight forward and useful. I kept having to roll through the extra lyrics the find a reference point. Just memorizing the Timeline in order gave me a precise and orderly way to recall a certain event when needed. :001_smile:

This is the whole "out of context" question that is always being discussed, and while in general I think it is good to have the context, this was not a problem for my kids at all. We have the thing memorized, and as the kids learn new things, they recall that card from the list and are usually pretty psyched that they have made another connection.

:iagree::iagree:

We memorized the whole VP history card timeline w/ CC the past two years, also. Having that whole thing memorized, 160 history pegs, has been one of the most useful things we've ever done. We've also done VP's MARR and Explorers to 1815 history programs. It has been to our advantage to have memorized the complete timeline first. When we hit the same events again in MARR/Explorers, great! It's reinforcement. Even better, whenever we come across any person or event from history in any of our other lit/science/ history/current events reading, we try to figure out where it would be in that timeline. We can "see" what came before which might have lead to the new event. We can sometimes "see" things that came after as a result.

Having a timeline of events from Creation to Modern America provides the context for new learning! I'm a big picture person... give me the big picture (the whole timeline) so I know where I'm going and then give me the details (of specific periods). You can learn the big picture timeline and then, when you study a specific historical period like Middle Ages, you can see how all those specific events you study fit into the overall march of history. It's been working wonderfully for my kids!

Edited by yvonne