Menu

With all of the new baby threads I am wondering

what you want to be called when your children have children (being intentionally vague here)?

Are you happy with the standard grandma/grandpa?

More formal with Grandmother/grandfather?

Casual with Nanny & Papa?

Whenever I hear these names I think of old people. What names do people use when they are young & young at heart?

My mom is called "Not Mom." When DS was about 1, he got mad at me over something... and started calling every woman who walked in the room "Mom," while totally ignoring me. When my mother walked in & he said, "Mom!" she told him, "I'm not mom." And she's been Not Mom ever since. She tried to get my kids to call her KiKi (her name's Kristie), but it just never stuck.

Mr. Ellie and I are Poppy and Grandmother. That's what I called my grandparents (I'm the only daugher and the granddaughter, and I lived with my gparents until I was 11, and again when I was 17). I thought we needed another generation of Grandmother and Poppy. :-)

My sister says she wants to be called "Ladybug". I've known a Mimi, a Hambone, and a Granne Anne.

Personally I think it will depend on how many of our grandparents and parents are living when our kids start having their own families. I do not want to be one of 3 or 4 of something.

In our family we have a gaga, nana, mama, and papa. I really don't care, maybe something with the double syllable thing. Well maybe not Grandma P, that would just be fodder for too many jokes.

As long as they call, bring the child over (if they live close), let me spoil him/her, read them good books, and send them home with goodies from grandma, I'll be all right.

Our children grew up calling us Mama and Papa. The Dude will most likely still go by Papa for the grandkids, and I will most likely be Granny. Kids always call me Nanny now, so I thought the switch to Granny might fit me. Honestly, I hope I don't have grandkids for many years, so not sure what will happen!

In my family we were always terribly formal -- e.g., "Grandmother."

MIL insisted on being called "Nana" because that's what grandmothers have traditionally been called in her family (she's British).

"Granny" just reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies. :lol:

I want to be "Grandma."

My mom is Nana. My mil was Grandma. I want to be Gran....I think.... Fortunately, there's no grandbaby on the horizon any time soon, so I have time to think about it.

My dh is Papa to the kids - maybe he'll stick with that.

Anne

My mom is Nana. My mil was Grandma. I want to be Gran....I think.... Fortunately, there's no grandbaby on the horizon any time soon, so I have time to think about it.

My dh is Papa to the kids - maybe he'll stick with that.

Anne

Gran- I could do that. not as old-sounding as granny, for some reason.

I was wondering this, too. We call my parents "grandma" and "grandpa" in their native language, and we also call my in-laws "grandma" and "grandpa" in their (way different) native language. We have no Grandma, Grandpa or any other English diminutive on either side of the family.

My husband and I already called "aunt" and "uncle" in each family's (respective) native language -- I don't know if, when we become grandparents, I'll be "grandma" in my language and he'll be "grandpa" in his?? I guess we will leave it to the first grandkid to figure it out ;) I know we're both not set on any titles for ourselves LOL.

Wow I have never thought that far ahead, but I'm only 27. When I was growing up I had a Papa, and Grandma, and a Granny, and Grandad. I was really not close to my grandparents at all though. My kids have a Papa, and Grandma, and a Gumpy and Moogy(I have no idea where those came from.;))

My mom is grandma, my MIL is grandmommy. MIL said she couldn't stand to be called grandma or anything other than grandmommy. I think it will be really strange when dd is older. I kind of feel mommy is a a special thing that should be reserved for a young child to call it's mom. It kind of irks me and maybe it is because of the way she said it...but I keep my opinions to myself on this one.

I had a grandad and a papap. Has anyone else ever called their grandfather papap?

MiMi and Me-maw (sp?) are popular. Most grandparents I know who choose those, especially MiMi are younger. My mom was only 36 when she became a grandma (well 35 if you count pregnancy). She's just Grandma. She considered MiMi.

I want to be Grandma one day. NOT ANY TIME SOON! LOL I'm still working the Mama thing :)

I haven't thought that far into the future.

My mom wanted to be Nana, but the kids call her Grandma and called my dad Grandpa while he was still around.

My MIL is called Grammy and FIL (who is from Chile) is called Abuelo.

My Mom is Nana to my girls and MIL is Grandma.

When my oldest was little, we were working on what she would call her Grandparents. FIL was already Grandpa and I lovingly called my Dad Poppy so we thought that would be good for her to call my Dad. So, we told her he was "Poppy". She said, "Yes, Poppy the Grandpa". She was firm and that was what my girls called him. He loved it.

My great grandmother was from Czechoslovakia and was Babi which is short for Babicka. I have always wanted to use that when I am a grandmother.

I posted before reading yours. We're slovak too so Babička is what we use as well - although it's been shortened to Baba which isn't my mom's favorite. She didn't want Babi because it's what her sister was called & it's morphed into sounding like Bobby. Although when my kids call her Baba it can sometimes sound like Bubba so maybe we just have lazy mouths.

My parents are the ever exciting Grandma and Grandpa. My MIL is Bana. My sil (her daughter) wanted her to be Nana, but my oldest, who is also the oldest cousin, couldn't say it. Bana stuck for my three, but sil made her ds use Nana. It doesn't really matter, as we are rarely together.

My oldest just turned eleven, so I will probably change my mind many times, but I love Grams and Pop.

In our family we have a Grami and Grandad, a Gramma and Bucca (another mispronunciation that stuck), a Gramma Nell, and an Oma (and Opa until recently). Honestly, I'm still having babies myself so I haven't even thought of it. Maybe I'll go with Oma to honor my German relatives. I could go with the native term fro gramma to honor my dh's family but I'm blond and blue-eyed, so that might be a little odd!

Sorry if it icks you out, Imp, but I want to be Grandmom. :)

I think its cute, but icky for *my* mom. She's always had boundary issues, etc, and its just too close to 'mom' with her.

She doesn't like Grandma Firstname. Or lastname.

*shrug*

Well, I'm only 25, and DD is only 5, so hopefully we are a long, LONG way away from this but... :D

Growing up I had a Maw Maw, Paw Paw, Granddaddy, Nanny, and Pop Pop.

My parents are Nana and Granddaddy.

Maybe because I'm so young, but none of those feel like me. :tongue_smilie:If DD has children in her 20s, I'll only be in my 40s, so- still young! I imagine I'll probably end up going by grandmother in some other language.

I had two Grandmas and one Grandpa growing up. My mom's mom was Grandma(First Name) and my dad's parents were Grandma and Grandpa(last name) or just plain Grandma and Grandpa.

I assumed it would be the same with my DS, but he couldn't pronounce them at all. He called my mom Nonny and my dad Papa. That has stuck so far. He finally was able to call DH's parents Gamma and Gampa this past month. They don't live near here, so we called them Nonny and Papa too when they visited and he got confused.

Lately my mom is "Nonny, my Nonny" said in a very toddler lovestruck voice.

When I am a grandparent very, very, very far into the future I hope, I will take whatever the grandkid picks.

Interesting.

I called my grandparents either Grandma or Grandpa and when referring to them to other people I would insert the last name so they'd know which one.

*I* would like to be called Grammy or Granny.

Edited by Lolosoli

I'm 42 years old, expecting my 10th baby in August and I'm a Grandma. I'm not really comfortable with being called Grandma because I just don't feel like I'm that old, but that is what it is for now. I'm hoping that when my granddaughter starts talking she will come up with her own cute name for me.

Susan in TX

Thanks for the replies!

I am surprised by that so many people want to be caleld the standard Grammy and Gramma.

I am not sure what I want to be called, although I prefer something young sounding.

I only had one grandparent, a grandmother, while I was growing up but I only saw her maybe 5 times. When she was referred to it was as Grandma Rose.

When I married DH my MIL told me flat out that our children would call her Nanny and FIL Papa. We were never given a choice and it was never left to the grandchildren to decide.

My daughter began calling my mom Grammy when she was about 2 and that name stuck for our family. My mom loves being called Grammy and DH and I refer to her as Grammy 99% of the time. My sister's children call my mom Grandma Lastname. My mom is hurt by that. She thinks it is too formal; they don't have a close relationship, though. My children are very close to Grammy.

Sometimes I think I will just let my grandchildren call me whatever comes naturally.

I hadn't really thought about it. We use grandpa and grandma on my side. Dh's parents are papaw and my mil is actually called by her first name. (long story, but even her kids call her by her first name)

I always assumed we would be grandpa and grandma. I'm happy with using grandma. I kind of like poppop or papaw instead of grandpa, but I would have to see what dh says.

I think it also may make a difference what the other set of grandparents are called. May have to use something different to avoid confusion.

I live in the south and my grandma was called "Mammie", after my sister had heard Uncle Remus books read to her and came home wanting to call our 30 yr old mom Mammie. :tongue_smilie:Mom would have no part of that, but my grandmother was in her 50s so she picked it up in order to avoid the old sounding "Grandma." (She was rather vain so it fit her personality!) I have pondered what I want to be called. I guess "Mammie" is really not politically correct. Her hubby was referred to as "Daddy Red" because he had red hair. In my hubby's family, they use MomMom a lot but nobody really has any idea where that originated.