Menu

What type of planner do you use?

What type of planner do you use?  

1. 1. What type of planner do you use?

• No planner; it's all open-and-go
    • No planner; filing only
    • Homemade on computer (Google calendar, Excel, etc.)
    • Homemade printout (Word, etc.)
    • Free online (Skedtrack, etc.)
    • Free printouts (Donna Young, etc.)
    • Paid online (HST+, etc.)
    • Hybrid/OTHER

I use a Blue Sky Academic Year Planner to keep track of what we have done. For planning ahead, which I only do one week at a time, I use Excel.

Most of our stuff is open and go but I like to see a plan on paper for the week to help me stay on track. It also helps DH see what needs to be done if he has to unexpectedly step in and substitute for me.

I post the weekly plan on a bulletin board by our school desk and the paper planner is also close by so I can make notes in it about our day.

Let's see, I use HST+ to keep track of everything but then I use OneNote to hold all my lesson plans as for some reason I only use HST+ to do skeleton planning of sorts and flesh it out with my OneNote planner.

THEN I print it out so I can refer to it while we're doing school and highlight each block as we finish it.

I have everything we do (even all the itty bitty things like Calculadders, Poetry that we read to each other and misc little things like that) on the left page for Mon-Fri (laid out sort of like a Sonlight schedule) and then on the right hand page is my "elaborate" ToG page for the week, Mon-Fri. (again a Sonlight type thing)

It is kind of a redundant system I guess. It works for me and I know exactly what we're doing. I guess the HST+ is really, atm, superfluous but I *think* I will really want to make better use of it later and since I have been using it for a while already, I don't want to drop it? lol

I love using OneNote as my planner though, because that is where I keep EVERYTHING. I just imported my word document that I *had* been using for my planner pages and made it a template so its pretty easy to set up each time I plan. PLUS if you wanted to you could use the online version of OneNote, syncing it with your computer and you could edit/view from anywhere with a browser.

That's my crazy story anyway.

I've always used my own spreadsheets and documents, printed out, for the year, and then wrote out lesson plans for the week in a teacher book, a checklist, or a planner. A lot of typing, especially when it came to things like SOTW.

I'm in the process of converting my planning materials completing to the iPad. SCARY. But I made my SOTW AG pdf into an ePub book, imported it into iBooks, and voila! I can add notes for extra books, highlight books we're going to use, and have everything RIGHT THERE without having to print, print, print. I'm working at using Bento for my middle guy (and the very limited things I might plan for my youngest), and I'm going to buy iStudiez and attempt to set it up for my oldest. Baring that working, I can use Bento for her.

The problem I had with computer planning in the past was that I didn't really want to carry my laptop around for school every day, and our family desktop machine isn't in the schoolroom. I don't mind having my iPad with me for school though! So I think that this will work really well. Best of all, I can customize what I do in Bento.

$1 planners I found at Target. For some reason I really like writing everything out in pencil, then getting to draw a huge X through each box when I'm done. I even enjoy erasing or crossing things out and planning again should things get off schedule. I suppose I'm weird like that. I've been planning maybe a dozen or so weeks at the beginning of the year, then a week or two at a time later.

I voted "Other" because...well...sometimes I make my own and it lasts about 1 week before I ditch it. Sometimes I print something off of Donna Young or whatnot, and that lasts about a week before I ditch it. And sometimes I don't print or plan anything at all, and that just ain't working, either. This year we used Time4Learning, so before we finish that up for the year, I'll print off their report and it will look like we accomplished something.

Maybe next year I'll aim to last longer than a week with a planner.

I voted other or hybrid because I use a spreadsheet that I made on the computer to keep track of our hours(required) and a pre- made plan book to write out our lesson assignments week by week. I usually fill in nine weeks at a time, which is a quarter for us. I tried doing this on the computer, but I just missed the pencil and paper thing. The cute little teacher plan book reminds me of the days when I was teaching preschool, I guess.

I chose Hybrid/Other because I use a combination of filing and a paper planner that I order from Good News Planners. I love filing and truly believe it is the best planning tool I've ever used. Here is a blogpost about how I set up my files. I am a list checker as well as my kids, so the paper planner works great to have a visual of what's left as well as a great place to keep grades and a written record of the whole year's worth of work.

On the weekends, I would pull out the next week's folders and sit down with the planners and write out the plan for the whole week. For my older dd, she sat down with me and actually planned out her week herself. I think I'm going to try that with ds this year, too. I'm hoping he'll like having some ownership over it.

As the work was finished each week, I put it back in that week's folders. I had the least loose paper around the house I've ever had. Just this past week, I went through all the folders and chose work that I wanted to keep as samples for the year and threw everything else away. I've already got most of next year filed for my ds who will be going into 3rd. I haven't started on dd because I'm still waiting on some curricula.

She is entering high school and will be using this planner from Well Planned Day for all four years. It seems very useful.

I'm a bit of a computer geek so I am using the only homeschool planner that is online and is flexible enough for me - Homeschool SkedTrack. For fun this year, I'm thinking of building my own online scheduler.

I'm curious have you tried HST as well? If so what do you like about SkedTrack better then HST? I haven't tried SkedTrack yet.

Interesting poll, so far! The majority of us, it seems, like to do things our own way! Maybe that's why we homeschool in the first place. :)

I take great comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one fiddling around with how I best keep organized. Somehow, it all gets done and my kids get eddy-cated, phew!

Keep the ideas flowing!

:)

I voted other/hybrid - I use Microsoft Outlook's Calendar for the overall view for history / science. I scheduled out each week's plans as a weekly item. Then in the notes section I jotted notes about the books or websites we want to use along with it. I like it because if we decide to take a week off, its pretty easy to shift everything. And I don't plan out our days, just our weeks. Some weeks we'll do a little bit of history all week - other times it's one day of LOTS of history. So this gives me the flexibility I want.

I also have some homemade and donna young printables I use for planning / tracking during the week. And we have some that is open & go that I don't even worry about.

I tried online ones like HST and the others, and I didn't like them, if I was going that way, DH work google calendar looks the same.

Whilst I like the idea of on computer/online planners, I haven't yet found one that doesn't make it more hassle than just typing and printing or pencilling in.

I have purchased a number of planners (Aussie ones like downunder lit, Master Planner, The Old Schoolhouse, and plan to purchase the PDF of Well Planned Day. I will just whack all the pages I need from those together, and ProClick Them with a Pretty Laminated Cover.

I love what Dawn does (From Filecrate system) with her planner and has the 3d trees etc on it, but I think that would make it lumpy, and when it comes to shedules and planners, I am not good at making my own like her, I just leech off of everyone elses planners, but at least I am keeping the economy in good order with all my planner purchases :D

I voted "other" because I use a printed planner that I purchased from Rod & Staff for just under $4.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-65680/

I have made my own in the past and really prefer that, but last year I couldn't get it together in time so I went with this one and it was just what I needed. No frills, but got the job done.

I really, really wanted to use The Well-Planned Day because it's so pretty. I bought it last year, but didn't find it had enough room for my liking. I've read that there is space for 4 children and wonder if that's new for this year?

I voted "other" because I use a printed planner that I purchased from Rod & Staff for just under $4.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-65680/

I have made my own in the past and really prefer that, but last year I couldn't get it together in time so I went with this one and it was just what I needed. No frills, but got the job done.

I've used these as assignment books for my kids for years. We are pretty much a do-the-next thing family, but I use the assignment books so that they can cross off work and I can break things down different ways if need be.

I pretty much make a schedule and a routine. We then move on to the next thing for anything that is not MFW or Phonics Road (which themselves have schedules). I just try to get in as much as I can when we do it and not slack but some days we can fit a lot of work in and some days need to be shorter. Works for me! With math, I have my kids do 1 hour a day.

Homemade on Word, but I print it out every week for each child (and they are different) so that they have some sense of control over their schedules, they can see what needs to be done and get some satisfaction over checking off items as they are done. :)

I selected other because I just use a lesson plan book purchased from Amazon and a pencil. I have tried the online/computer stuff and I just don't like it as much as writing it in the book with my trusty old pencil.

This is the planner I really like from Amazon (glad I just got mine because it now estimates shipping at 1-3 weeks. Maybe I should have purchased more of them).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FMRS46

I use the planner the teacher 's book with MFW curriculum.

Bug, the planner you ordered is probably behind because all the school teachers are gathering stuff for next year! Yet another benefit of homeschooling. When I need it, I get it.

I voted other. I don't plan our lessons.......I found that frustrating. Instead I do the following: I have a journal in which I write down every single school related thing we do each day. I also have a weekly checklist of subjects to keep me on track and so I can see at a glance what still needs to be accomplished. Plus, this year I plan on copying what we do each day from my journal to HST+ so I will have a more formal record.

Other/Hybrid.

I print off a homemade Word document for my oldest daily; for my Kindergartner and Preschooler, I simply have a list that says "Math 3 times per week, Reading 4 times per week, Handwriting 3 times per week, etc" that I made up. I use a different form that I created for weekly planning for my oldest. I also use HST (the free version) for long-term planning (where I want to be in say 9 weeks), and this year I am using WinterPromise which provides me with an Open-and-Go schedule for it.

I use pen and paper! :coolgleamA:

Me too! When I only had 1 child I used the Homeschool Journal with the jelly cover. But now with 3 in school and trying to be a minimalist I use a heavy 5x7 spiral notebook and get the "basics" for all 3 plus what we do as a "group", plus the date and attendance. That's all I need. After 20 years, this approach actually works best for me. Who knew? ;)

I don't have a teacher's planner - but we use the Student Planners from CLE. Aside from school lessons, they have spaces to write in weekly activities and chores - plus a page to Journal.

I use one per child and I keep them, as they are a nice written record of our accomplishments for the year.

I chose "other" because I purchase The Well Planned Day every year. It is a hard copy planner book with helps. I love the page layout and organization and feel it is well worth the money by the time I download and customize forms, have them printed and bound. This is all done for me and all I have to do is place my order. Love it!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Using Word, I make one per child planning 2 weeks at a time. Since we use multiple binders, I keep them on clipboards where their assignments can easily be read and checked off. Some work is written in later... since things like Bible are not always structural but I want to have a place to document it. At the end of the year the sheets go in a big binder with their completed work.

Here's an example.

When they were younger I used pen and paper in a binder. I'm still this primitive with my own personal plannner- it's a sketchbook!

post-3557-13535084966066_thumb.jpg

post-3557-13535084966066_thumb.jpg

;2810459']Using Word' date=' I make one per child planning 2 weeks at a time. Since we use multiple binders, I keep them on clipboards where their assignments can easily be read and checked off. Some work is written in later... since things like Bible are not always structural but I want to have a place to document it. At the end of the year the sheets go in a big binder with their completed work.

Here's an example.

When they were younger I used pen and paper in a binder. I'm still this primitive with my own personal plannner- it's a sketchbook![/quote']

This is a nice Week-at-a-Glance!

Side Note: I'm trying to figure out how to put those circles (or boxes) in the cells of my Excel spreadsheet.

I am using the Simply Charlotte Mason Organizer this year. http://simplycharlottemason.com The cost is $99 a year with a free month trial.

I have a half-sized binder for each child that holds their assignments and book logs. We use the Simply Charlotte Mason Organizer to record what we actually did the past week before we add to our assignment log for the following week.

The assignments are written or typed one page per subject (as a list) and dated/highlighted as they are worked on or completed. This is how the SCM organizer is organized as well. I print the organizer monthly for our records and discard the assignment logs as needed. We don't have internet every day...and I can kind of get stuck on it...so our Simply Charlotte Mason Organizer is used only weekly.

We may discontinue the online planner next year...but I love it, and it taught me so much and keeps me accountable. I am undecided yet because I have been finally very consistent with our planners this year. (This is our tenth year of homeschooling).

My teacher planner came with my curriculum with the whole year planned out by the day which is super convenient. For the kiddos, I got them Days of Faith student planners which are catholic based and fit in perfectly with what they're learning.