Menu

The WRTR and Spell to Write and Read.

How long does it take to teach each of these? I was leaning towards WRTR but after getting it from the library and reading through most of it I am wondering if my daughter will get burned out with how much time it will take her to complete. Am I understanding this correctly does it not take as much time as it seems it would?

If I decided to go with SWR (is that the correct accronym) what all would I need if using for a whole LA program... what if I wanted to only use it for spelling, then what would I need?

How long does it take to teach each of these? I was leaning towards WRTR but after getting it from the library and reading through most of it I am wondering if my daughter will get burned out with how much time it will take her to complete. Am I understanding this correctly does it not take as much time as it seems it would?

Actually, the method is Spalding. WRTR is the manual. ;-)

SWR (Spell to Write and Read) is Wanda Sanseri's program, and has nothing to do with Spalding at all (other than the fact that Sanseri started out doing Spalding).

Spalding takes a couple of hours a day, maybe three, if done in a classroom. At home, and especially if you're doing only the spelling and not the grammar/composition, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so a day, and you don't even have to do that all in one fell swoop. You'd need the manual, the individual-size phonogram cards, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. If your dc is 8 or older, she'll also need a spelling notebook.

Actually, the method is Spalding. WRTR is the manual. ;-)

SWR (Spell to Write and Read) is Wanda Sanseri's program, and has nothing to do with Spalding at all (other than the fact that Sanseri started out doing Spalding).

Spalding takes a couple of hours a day, maybe three, if done in a classroom. At home, and especially if you're doing only the spelling and not the grammar/composition, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so a day, and you don't even have to do that all in one fell swoop. You'd need the manual, the individual-size phonogram cards, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. If your dc is 8 or older, she'll also need a spelling notebook.

An hour for spelling alone? She will be six when we do it.

We did SWR with my 6 years old and we used Cursive First program for handwriting. For spelling it took us about 30-40 minutes, sometimes longer if you administer a spelling test. Everything will depend on your schedule.

You will need a primary notebook( one for you and one for your daughter), basic phonogram cards, Spell to Write and Read, WISE Guide for Spelling.

We are using WRTR just for spelling and it takes us 10-15 minutes a day, depending on how much dd messes around ;). My dd's spelling has really improved, so I highly recommend it!

I did SWR for a couple of years with each of my kids after we finished reading instruction. My son has real problems with spelling and we literally spent 40 minutes a day doing SWR. We both finally got burnt out from it, but I feel he really benefitted from the time we did it.

My daughter is a very strong speller and, for her, it only took us 20 minutes to do an entire list and the second year, we went through her whole grade level of lists in a couple of months. She was good at SWR, so she liked it and the 2nd year we did it, I noticed a real leap in her reading and spelling abilities. I had dropped SWR with her after first grade since I didn't think she needed it, but in January of 2nd grade, I realized that she was no longer attempting to spell words using the skills she had used with SWR, so that's why we quickly went through the lists starting in January of that year. It was so worth it.

I had thought I would go back and do the same thing with her this year, but she had held on to her skills this year and it wasn't necessary.

Lisa

We just finished our first year with WRTR. I bought the Wise Guide to help this year as the words are grouped a little different and sentences are provided. I will do a combination of Spalding and Spell to Read and Write.

I have a struggling speller and he improved 2.5 grade levels this year. I am pleased. We use the McCall readers but not the Grammar or Writing portion. It just wasn't working for us.

Spalding and SRW are both solid programs, inho.

An hour for spelling alone? She will be six when we do it.

Or less. Dictating the words in the Extended Ayres List, once you start doing that (after she knows the first 45 phonograms), will add time.

But it will be all you'll need for English skills, even though you're only doing spelling, for awhile.

I'm using SWR with a K'er and 2nd grader right now. When my ds was 6, (and an only student) it took anywhere from 20-45 min/day depending on the day of the week. It isn't just spelling, you wouldn't need phonics, grammar or writing programs if you use the whole program as directed for K-2. I use Cursive First with both my dc and FLL and WWE with my 2nd grader. FLL and WWE only because I needed a scripted program and in those areas and really like them. They aren't necessary.

Yes, they are very teacher intensive but provide a great foundation that is worth the time IMHO.

PSS - Teacher intensive, time consuming (but reading/spelling deserves that time at 6yo), and (contrary to popular belief) this method does not work for every student.

I used SWR and I've studied WRTR intensively in trying to implement SWR. It did not work for my ds8 b/c he has visual processing issues and so he never spontaneously read (which was my main goal). He did reasonably well with the spelling, and he still knows his phonograms and many spelling rules even though we stopped using SWR months ago. He is just *one* child who cannot read everything he can spell.;) For most kids, I do think this method is thorough and solid.

PSSS - All About Spelling and Phonics Road to Reading and Writing and Recipe for Reading are three other programs that have similar roots. Look into those also before deciding. Having something that *you* enjoy teaching is important, so take your time and do some searches here on the 5 of these programs. Do you want lessons scripted out for you? Do you want flexibility? Do you want short lessons? Is your dd up to the writing (It's a LOT in SWR;))? Is she ready for that kind of seatwork?

I just started WRTR last week with my almost 6.5yo son. We are using the program so he can learn the rest of the phonograms (our 1st grade phonics program was lacking) and to go at his own speed for spelling.

Last week, we did OPR and WPR and began the Spalding marking system using the A-G section of the Ayres List (since he tested well on the written phonogram test I gave him from the Spelling Assessment Manual.) He's a boy, and, as such, can get a little distracted from the task at hand. However, we get through the lessons in 30-40 minutes. As he gets used to the procedure, I'm sure this time will go down a bit; but then again, we might cover more words each day.

I love the flexibility of this program. I'm thrilled with how easy it is to use. It really is as easy as Ellie says it is to use. :)

HTH

I have been using Spalding for 2-3 months with my 5 year old daughter. I think you need to vary approaches to fit child, teacher and curriculum expectations.

We have been very happy with the method thus far and are working our way through the Ayres list. Since she is 5 I let her go at her own pace. I do not need to meet any deadlines other than our own. I was surprised at how easily she picked up the Spalding method of annotating words, and how much she enjoys the rules. While it seems intimidating at first, I found implementing the program in stages helpful.

There are several threads comparing phonics programs on the forums. All have their fans and non-fans. You can get a great sense of the plusses and minuses of each program, but nothing really compares to sitting down and trying to work the program with the child in question.

My dd, who is doing WRTR 1st grade, spends about 5 minutes on oral and 5 minutes on written phonogram review. (We use Anki for that though.) About 10 minutes on her spelling notebook--three days a week. That is all the spelling and handwriting we do (I am not doing the spelling tests/assessments for 1st). The writing lesson, which is the part of Spalding/WRTR with most of the explanations, takes another twenty minutes. She reads aloud for about 15 minutes a day.

So 45-55 minutes a day for all language arts.

Each of those things took twice as long for the first 3 weeks!

My dd, who is doing WRTR 1st grade, spends about 5 minutes on oral and 5 minutes on written phonogram review. (We use Anki for that though.) About 10 minutes on her spelling notebook--three days a week. That is all the spelling and handwriting we do (I am not doing the spelling tests/assessments for 1st). The writing lesson, which is the part of Spalding/WRTR with most of the explanations, takes another twenty minutes. She reads aloud for about 15 minutes a day.

So 45-55 minutes a day for all language arts.

Each of those things took twice as long for the first 3 weeks!

This was very helpful, thanks!