Menu

Which artists to start with?

Dmmetler

I bought quite a few sets of various postcard sized reproductions of art works from Dover, and now I've got a stack of the books in front of me-and am wondering where to start? My plan is to pick an artist, read about them and their techniques, look at their works, and then use them as inspiration for writing/drawing.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking we'd do art 2x week, maybe?

Is this for the fall? If so, plant some sunflowers and start with Van Gogh.

Otherwise, I really like O'Keeffe. Her style is so distinctive and easy to spot.

I prefer Monet in the spring when the irises are blooming.

Save anybody very abstract or surreal until after you've studied more artists.

You could always go chronological.

O'Keefe wasn't a very wholesome character. (Of course, van Gogh wasn't living a saintly life either, but I think his work is amazing.)

I think it's a good idea to start with the well-known Impressionists (Monet, Cassatt, Degas, Renoir) and Post-Impressionists (van Gogh, Seurat, Cezanne). I like Berthe Morisot, but she's not as well known. I'd cover some of Manet's work too (excluding the nudes).

A study of Matisse is fun, because you can do cutouts and discuss negative space.

Or you can go chronologically (spirally), starting with Giotto and hitting da Vinci, Michelangelo, Bruegel, Rembrandt, Vermeer, etc.

If you're looking for biographies, you can check out Mike Venezia's Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series. Discovering Great Artists is a book that studies artists chronologically, with a suggested student project for each artist studies. It's not a favorite of mine, but many seem to like it.

Ambleside Online has a suggested rotation of artists (and their work) to study. You might like that. It is not chronological.

I also have the Dover cards. They're handy to have around to test the kids on famous paintings and artists. Unfortunately, they don't have a huge selection.

My daughter was using "Primers" from CW a year ago and art was incorporated in one of the lessons weekly.

Primer- Autumn:

Winslow Homer "Snap the Whip", "Breezing Up","Home Sweet Home","Boys in Pasture", "Cloud Shadows", "The Fox Hunt".

Renoir "Boating the Seine", "Girl with Watering Can", "Two Young Girls at the Piano", "Le Grands Boulevard", "Two Sisters", "Flowers in a Vase".

Primer-Winter

Van Gogh "The Starry Night", "The Harvest, Arles", "Cypresses and Stars","Bridge at Arles", "Bedroom at Arles",

"Vase with Sunflowers".

Jean-Francios Millet "The Angelus","The Gleaners", "Woman Baking Bread","Haystacks:Autumn", "Spring", "The Sower".

Primer-Spring

Pieter Bruegel the Elder " Landscape with the Fall of Icarus", "Tower of Babel", "Children's Games", "Hunters in a Snow", "Peasant Wedding", "The Harvesters".

Mary Cassatt "Children on the Shore","The Boating Party", "In the Garden", "Young Mother Sewing", "Breakfast in Bed", "Summertime".

I think we are going to start with Van Gogh - I downloaded this great freebie from Confessions of a Homeschooler and plan to use it for some of the general outline of how we will proceed with our artist study...

http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2011/06/worlds-greatest-artists-unit-study.html

It includes: