Menu

Desks or table?

Right now we use a table in our school room for doing our work. But my kids are quite nosy of what another one is doing, they can't concentrate when another is reading aloud and they are trying to work math out etc. I was wondering if individual desks would be better for them instead of everyone working together at the table? :confused:

what about individual smaller tables. We tried traditional desks and they were great for "Keeping to yourself" but they were too small for my kids to spread out and work the way they'd like. We tried a big dining size table which was ok, until my dd and youngest son were having a race, she tripped and busted the leg off of it. The cost of a new leg is about half of a new table, so I'm getting them each a 2x3 ft. table like the ones they have in some classrooms. I think they will work out great.

We have a school table, but DS9 works at the kitchen table for a few subjects. (He is my only one who struggles with concentration, but we definitely have a nosy rose issue here as well! :tongue_smilie: )

I don't think desks would help us here, unless they were placed in different rooms!

I have a large table and I love it!! They can spread out and I have one end and can see everyone working.

I do less individual work, and mostly discussions. The table is very big and if I have children sitting across from each other, they cannot see the other's work.

Sometimes this gets in the way, mainly when one child prefers the other child's assignment to their own (usually when a 3rd grader would rather do a 1st grader's math instead of their own).

But I also think about what Sir Ken Robinson said about how sharing work in school is called cheating, but in real life its called collaboration. How collaboration leads to inventive thinking.

All in all the big table thing works for us, but it is a very big table.

We have school desks and they've always worked well for us. But 1/2 way through this year, I began thinking about one table, no more than 6 ft long, about 3 ft wide w/comfy rolling chairs, adjustable height (maybe IKEA). I think it would be easier to, yes, have more room for them to spread the books & papers, but also to teach 2 of them together.

My 2 youngest do certain subjects together and my 2 oldest do certain subjects together.

But for my dc's younger years, the desks were perfect - never even thought of wanting a table!