Menu

Tell me the best pencil sharpener, please

one that you've had for at least a year. I have at least a dozen manual and electric over the years and they've all gone over to the dark side within a year, usually earlier. My mom is still using the wall sharpener from when I was a kid 40 years ago. I ordered the same one, and it only lasted a few months. Maybe they just don't make them like they used to.

So tell me which sharpener to buy.

I have been where you are at... getting a good pencil sharpener is challenging. We have used a Staedtler two hole sharpener for a couple of years with good results.

Using the small hole on the sharpener you get a very long tip and sharp point. Use the big hole and you get a really nice short tip that is great for kids that break sharp points.

It requires no batteries, is kid safe, portable and you can even order replacement blades. Oh, and it only costs $6 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E67Z16

Read the product reviews on Amazon for more confirmation of this little guy's goodness!

rm

We have an iPoint electric in our school room, and it works well. My only complaint is that it can be difficult to get lead out if the lead breaks while you're sharpening. It doesn't happen often, and I've always been able to remove it, but it does happen. I've had this one for maybe 2 years?

I recently bought this X-Acto manual for the main level. I think it was around $8 or so at Walmart. It's only a couple of months old, but seems to be holding up quite well.

I'm right there with you in my search. I see sharpeners recommended here but the reviews on amazon are usually a bit sketchy. I think I might try that Classroom friendly pencil sharpener, but it looks to be out of stock until end of June.

It's so frustrating to be without a decent pencil sharpener, and annoying as heck to pay money for countless sharpeners that end up being junk after a short period of time.

About a year ago I got an Exacto for $10 at a cheapo store. It is an amazing electric sharpener! You lightly place the pencil into it and it sucks it in the rest of the way, sharpens it to a fine point, and spits it back out at you! My only complaint about it is that it won't take large diameter pencils (we have a few color pencils that won't fit).

I have been where you are at... getting a good pencil sharpener is challenging. We have used a Staedtler two hole sharpener for a couple of years with good results.

Using the small hole on the sharpener you get a very long tip and sharp point. Use the big hole and you get a really nice short tip that is great for kids that break sharp points.

It requires no batteries, is kid safe, portable and you can even order replacement blades. Oh, and it only costs $6 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E67Z16

Read the product reviews on Amazon for more confirmation of this little guy's goodness!

We have been using this for almost a year now and it is still going strong. I am very happy with it, good quality and price.

Julia

I have a purple electric sharpener that I have had for so many years that I forgot when I got it. It doesn't have a brand name on it at all. On the bottom is says "Elmers" and then "Made in China" below that. It works well for all of our pencils and the only problem we have ever had with it is that if you jar it too much the container that hold the shavings will fall out and dump shavings everywhere.

We use a Panasonic auto-stop electric pencil sharpener, and it's the best I've ever used. It plugs in, no batteries.

Before this one was given to me (used), we didn't have a decent one and I thought I had tried them all.

I didn't see it on Amazon- it's small & rectangular (grey/black) I don't see a model number or I'd post one. I wish I could be of more help. I would trust Panasonic after this one, though.

:lurk5:

Not these. Sure you can get them for 50 cents a piece during back to school sales but they only last a couple of months, if you can find them.

Or these. We got one with a pencil set and it was lost very quickly because it is so small.

Not this one. Bought this Prismacolor one thinking it would work better for the pencils. It has a tiny reservoir so I've taken the black parts off, leaving just the sharpener part. The way it is made the shavings constantly get stuck (small space between the blade and the outer edge of the sharpener) even when the cover is off.

Not this one. It consistently sharpened the wood all the way to the very edge of the lead. You simply can't write with the wood in the way. Turning the pencil to sharpen from various sides didn't help. You'd use up 3/4 of the pencil before you could get a decent sharpening with the lead exposed all the way.

Nor this one. The blade is in the upper half, along with all of the electrical components and wires. This means they get stuck and stuff the area until it shuts off and won't work. I've tried several times to open the thing up to be able to clean it out, and you can't. So, I end up using a tiny screwdriver and trying to poke around up there to release it all every couple of days. The cup that holds the shavings that do fall down like they are suppose to falls out easily, leaving shavings and lead all over the desk and floor. The sharpener is currently out of order because we lost the cup the last time it fell out.

We have NOT had good luck with sharpeners.

I've done the mechanical pencil route but I bought the super cheap ones. They jammed constantly. I'm thinking of spending a small fortune on good quality mechanical pencils. The next question is how thick should the lead be: I hate .7 because it is too thick and doesn't feel or look sharp but the kids are constantly breaking .5 lead.

I LOVE our pencil sharpener. It's called the "Classroom Friendly Pencil Sharpener". We've been through so many and this one we have stuck with (because it still works!) When we first got it, I caught my then four year old breaking the pencil point over and over to sharpen his pencil again. It's about $20.

http://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/

I just burned through my second sharpener this year - thanks for this link, I already ordered it!

Maybe they just don't make them like they used to.

Thinking that's the case. Glad to see this thread. My Panasonic electric sharpener broke 2 weeks ago. It was 24 years old!?! I was in denial for a few hours that it was actually broken. Used it through junior high, high school, college, and now 3 kids. "Good-bye old friend" :sad:

• 1 month later...