Menu

s/o Food Preservation

Argh.

I would *love* to do some serious canning this year. However, I face some problems.

One, I need a food processor. Yes, need. I need one anyways, to give me back some independance in the kitchen, but heaven help me, they're expensive!

Two, I only have a hot bath canner. To do any 'serious' canning, I need a pressure canner...and the prices on those suckers are out of this world!

I have a hard time spending several hundred dollars to outfit my kitchen under the idea of saving money. I *know* it will absolutely pay off in the long run, but initially..*gulp*

And I'm looking at kijiji, ebay, etc for 2nd hand. Still $$$.

I bought my double stacking pressure canner for $85.00 on amazon with free shipping two years ago. It's a Presto so not some top named brand, but on the other hand, it cans like a dream and I can't complain about the quality at all. I don't have an all out food processor, just a Kitchenaid blender. But, I can understand your really wanting a good food processor.

If chopping is an issue, what about paying Tazzie a little allowance to do that task? With supervision, she should be able to do that safely.

Oh, and also, have Wolf check resale stores if you have any in your area. I am not sure if Canada has Goodwill or something similar, but a lot of retirees in our area "purge" when they start "migrating south for the winter" and usually that means goodbye food processors and canners. My mother in law bought a lovely pressure canner, used but the seal was in great shape, for $3.00 at the Goodwill.

Faith

I bought my double stacking pressure canner for $85.00 on amazon with free shipping two years ago. It's a Presto so not some top named brand, but on the other hand, it cans like a dream and I can't complain about the quality at all. I don't have an all out food processor, just a Kitchenaid blender. But, I can understand your really wanting a good food processor.

If chopping is an issue, what about paying Tazzie a little allowance to do that task? With supervision, she should be able to do that safely.

Oh, and also, have Wolf check resale stores if you have any in your area. I am not sure if Canada has Goodwill or something similar, but a lot of retirees in our area "purge" when they start "migrating south for the winter" and usually that means goodbye food processors and canners. My mother in law bought a lovely pressure canner, used but the seal was in great shape, for $3.00 at the Goodwill.

Faith

I'll check Goodwill and Value Village, thanks for the suggestion!

and you're thinking Diva, not Tazzie. Tazzie is only 6, and the idea of him with a knife...:svengo:

How would I even know how to tell a good seal from a bad one? Is it that obvious?

I also don't know what a 'double stacking pressure canner' is.

I can with a hot pressure bath. Are you considering doing meat? I'm not sure you really "need" a pressure canner for anything else (maybe honey?). A pressure canner isn't really faster either.

What do you want to do with the food processor? The reason I ask is that you can get a food strainer to do most tomato, berry, applesauce kinds of grinding. Food strainers are marginally cheaper.

Try church rummage sales. If you belong to a church ask older ladies if they know anywhere you can get supplies. (Seriously, many of these women have things and would like to get rid of them but haven't gotten around to it).

GoodWill-type stores

Charity shops

Ask around

My other recommendation would be to start slow. Don't buy to much, get things as you need them, work your way into it. The 13 dozen quart/pint jars on my basement shelves remind me of that every day. :tongue_smilie:

Impish, I see a decent looking food processor practically every other time I go to Value Village. It might take a few trips, but that's one of those things I'm sure you could find there. Like children's dress shoes. And molded plastic play equipment. A VV staple.

I just do tomatoes and don't use a food processor for canning. And I freeze peas. Mmm... peas.

and you're thinking Diva, not Tazzie. Tazzie is only 6, and the idea of him with a knife...:svengo:

How would I even know how to tell a good seal from a bad one? Is it that obvious?

JSYK...If you aren't sure about the seal, it is a super cheap and easy thing to replace. :)

Argh.

I would *love* to do some serious canning this year. However, I face some problems.

One, I need a food processor. Yes, need. I need one anyways, to give me back some independance in the kitchen, but heaven help me, they're expensive!

Two, I only have a hot bath canner. To do any 'serious' canning, I need a pressure canner...and the prices on those suckers are out of this world!

I have a hard time spending several hundred dollars to outfit my kitchen under the idea of saving money. I *know* it will absolutely pay off in the long run, but initially..*gulp*

What small kitchen appliances do you have? I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer and just bought an attachment kit on Amazon for $80. It's basically a food processing kit. I also just bought a Ninja from Sam's for $50, it came with several blades, a 48 oz pitcher, a 40 oz pitcher and 2 16 oz containers. I've successfully used this as a food processor. I found my pressure canner online for $80, I forget it's size but I can process 16 pints or 7 quarts at one time. I know that's alot of money at one time. What are you trying to preserve? You don't need a food processor to prepare everything you are planning to can.

A good seal will not have any cracks or look dried out. They are a few bucks at Wal-mart. Do you have Walmarts?

A good question would be: what you planning to preserve? If you are talking about strawberry jam & apples, then you don't need a pressure canner. If you want to preserve vegetables then you need a pressure canner. TPTB recently decided that it's safer to use a pressure canner when preserving tomatoes now as well. My grandmother still uses a water bath and hasn't killed anyone yet...to my knowledge! :tongue_smilie:

A double stacker canner is one where you can stack the jars. I can double stack pints but not quarts in mine. If you purchase used jars make sure there are no chips in the rims. Even small chips will prevent your jars from sealings, thus wasting your efforts and causing you to re-can or freeze that food.

Here's a website with some good information.

What small kitchen appliances do you have? What are you trying to preserve? You don't need a food processor to prepare everything you are planning to can.

I have a very so-so blender. An elderly hand mixer.

A good seal will not have any cracks or look dried out. They are a few bucks at Wal-mart. Do you have Walmarts?

A good question would be: what you planning to preserve? If you are talking about strawberry jam & apples, then you don't need a pressure canner. If you want to preserve vegetables then you need a pressure canner. TPTB recently decided that it's safer to use a pressure canner when preserving tomatoes now as well. My grandmother still uses a water bath and hasn't killed anyone yet...to my knowledge! :tongue_smilie:

A double stacker canner is one where you can stack the jars. I can double stack pints but not quarts in mine. If you purchase used jars make sure there are no chips in the rims. Even small chips will prevent your jars from sealings, thus wasting your efforts and causing you to re-can or freeze that food.

Here's a website with some good information.

Yes, we have Walmart. I have a hot bath canner for our apple tree, and did apple sauce and apple butter last year. I'd like to hit some farmer's markets and can veggies, spaghetti sauce and salsa this year. We don't have a deep freezer, so canning is the only preservation I have available to me.

The reason I need a food processor is b/c I'm working 1 handed. Means grating cheese, slicing anything, etc I have to ask for help. A food processor means that I can be more independant in my kitchen again. anything that has to be held and sliced, someone else has to do. Seriously, think about that for a sec. Most of us just do it, kwim? Managing 1 handed in the kitchen is a gong show.

I have a very so-so blender. An elderly hand mixer.

Yes, we have Walmart. I have a hot bath canner for our apple tree, and did apple sauce and apple butter last year. I'd like to hit some farmer's markets and can veggies, spaghetti sauce and salsa this year. We don't have a deep freezer, so canning is the only preservation I have available to me.

The reason I need a food processor is b/c I'm working 1 handed. Means grating cheese, slicing anything, etc I have to ask for help. A food processor means that I can be more independant in my kitchen again. anything that has to be held and sliced, someone else has to do. Seriously, think about that for a sec. Most of us just do it, kwim? Managing 1 handed in the kitchen is a gong show.

Ok, I get it now. A Salad Shooter will have a slicer & shredder attachment and it's usually less than $20 here, but that doesn't help for the chopping needed. Another thing to consider is that thin slices, like what you will get from a slicer, will turn to mush when you can them. Most vegetables have to be canned at least 30 minutes and if you add meat then it's at least 45 minutes. Maybe your oldest dd could chop for you.

I hope you can find what you need! I love preserving my food!

She does help...I just get frustrated having to ask all the time for the simplest things. And canning is a big job, even just the apples we do.

Let me tell you...a 1 handed chopping board is the STUPIDEST thing ever invented. It has several nails for you to put the item you're chopping on...and a knife bolted to the board. You can't get through the item, b/c it requires a back and forth motion, and the knife doesn't meet the board. Oh, and you can't possibly undo the knife 1 handed for washing either.

Dumbest. Thing. Ever. Heaven forbid WCB actually pay for a useful tool. *sigh*

She does help...I just get frustrated having to ask all the time for the simplest things. And canning is a big job, even just the apples we do.

Let me tell you...a 1 handed chopping board is the STUPIDEST thing ever invented. It has several nails for you to put the item you're chopping on...and a knife bolted to the board. You can't get through the item, b/c it requires a back and forth motion, and the knife doesn't meet the board. Oh, and you can't possibly undo the knife 1 handed for washing either.

Dumbest. Thing. Ever. Heaven forbid WCB actually pay for a useful tool. *sigh*

Wow! I didn't even know they made such and thing and it does seem pretty stupid!

I'm sorry it's so difficult for you. I really have no other ideas. If I think of something or see something that would be helpful to you, though, I'll pass t on.

I really appreciate it. I concluded a while ago that a food processor would be invaluable to me, just every day living, but some how it hasn't made the budget yet.

Course, the deep freezer hasn't made the budget yet either. :lol:

Working 1 handed changed so much. Things you don't even think about, I can't do. Like dishes. Try washing dishes 1 handed. Or drain pasta. Or move any heavy pot.

Gah.

Sorry Diva!

Now, the seal...look for a seal with no cracks or imperfections in the rubber. When you feel it with your fingertip, it shouldn't feel dented, cracked, or chipped. Usually, that's about the only inspection you need. Also, if you pick up a canner for cheap, but with a bad seal, you can purchase a new rubber gasket/seal online and it's still far less expensive than buying the whole unit new.

Double stacking means that I can place 14 pints or 21 jelly jars/ half pints in the canner at one time. Since I can my green beans in pints as well as applesauce, salsa, pinto beans, and kidney beans in pints, this is invaluable to me in terms of being able to process a double load at once! It's a TALL canner.

Faith

Check your local thrift stores too. I found my most excellent Braun Combimax 650 at a local one for $15. Haven't seen a pressure canner yet though.

If I see something I'll nab it and ship it. ;)

Check your local thrift stores too. I found my most excellent Braun Combimax 650 at a local one for $15. Haven't seen a pressure canner yet though.

If I see something I'll nab it and ship it. ;)

LOL! Shipping would cost more than the item!