Menu

IEW versus Winning With Writing

Ugh....just when I think that I've decided upon a curriculum for next year, something new pops up :glare:

I'm not sure whether anyone has had a chance to get a good look at the WWW curriculum yet but there's no harm in asking.

I had thought that I was going to have my ds(13) and my ds(10) using IEW SWI-B(or C) and SWI-A next year. Now that I have looked at WWW I am rethinking. My oldest will be homeschooling for his second and final year (before heading to high school) and my youngest will be starting his first home schooling year.

Any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Theresa

Have you seen this new curriculum due to be out within the next month or so?

Essentialsinwriting.com

I would love to see a comparison between the three. I know two of them are new, and no one will have personal experience with them. I just haven't had time to compare scope and sequence charts yet. I am leaning towards either Essentials in Writing or Winning with Writing for my 6th grader next year.

Janet

I just purchased a used IEW theme based book that I was considering for next year, and while I thought the "theme" would appeal to dd, dd already has down a lot of the skills it's teaching. And, I see how the "style" part of IEW could actually be a detriment the style that dd's already developed. (Now I know what SWB is talking about!)

...And along comes Winning with Writing which seems to cover so much...And, it's so reasonably priced.

I would love to see a comparison between the three. I know two of them are new, and no one will have personal experience with them. I just haven't had time to compare scope and sequence charts yet. I am leaning towards either Essentials in Writing or Winning with Writing for my 6th grader next year.

Janet

I have compared scope and sequence of Winning with Writing and Essentials in Writing and Essentials just covers SO MUCH MORE. Very thorough, and goes up to highschool.

I have compared scope and sequence of Winning with Writing and Essentials in Writing and Essentials just covers SO MUCH MORE. Very thorough, and goes up to highschool.

That is great news. I have just been too busy to compare them.

Janet

I've looked at the scope and sequence for Essentials and, while it covers a lot, much of what it has isn't what I'd really want in a sixth grade writing course. There's a lot of grammar and LA odds and ends that dd doesn't really need. For dd, WWW has much more of what I'd want in a sixth grade writing program.

I may also be prejudiced because the WWW samples are more extensive and more appealing than the Essentials samples.:001_smile:

:iagree:

I think it does help to look closely at the TOCs to determine which may be a better fit for a particular student's situation. My guess is that each will appeal to a different set of customers.

FWIW, taking a quick look at fifth grade, it looks like Essentials covers more because it includes grammar, whereas Winning is only about writing.

Also note that the Essentials lessons are on DVD, with PDF workbook pages, whereas it appears that the Winning lessons are entirely workbook.

:lurk5: (I have so many books about writing it's making my head spin. I think I'm still holding out for WWS. I had planned to pull lessons from a lot of different sources together, but at my core I am lazy, and would prefer that someone else did it for me :D. I am using something else for grammar.)

Edited by wapiti

I've looked at the scope and sequence for Essentials and, while it covers a lot, much of what it has isn't what I'd really want in a sixth grade writing course. There's a lot of grammar and LA odds and ends that dd doesn't really need. For dd, WWW has much more of what I'd want in a sixth grade writing program.

I may also be prejudiced because the WWW samples are more extensive and more appealing than the Essentials samples.:001_smile:

Yes, you make a good point. Some people may not need to grammar componant...Off to look at WWW again!

:iagree:

I think it does help to look closely at the TOCs to determine which may be a better fit for a particular student's situation. My guess is that each will appeal to a different set of customers.

FWIW, taking a quick look at fifth grade, it looks like Essentials covers more because it includes grammar, whereas Winning is only about writing.

Also note that the Essentials lessons are on DVD, with PDF workbook pages, whereas it appears that the Winning lessons are entirely workbook.

:lurk5: (I have so many books about writing it's making my head spin. I think I'm still holding out for WWS. I had planned to pull lessons from a lot of different sources together, but at my core I am lazy, and would prefer that someone else did it for me :D. I am using something else for grammar.)

Lazy at the core here, too!!! WWS does seem like it might have most of what I'm looking for and be manageable for me.

I really, really love models of beautiful writing. I heard CW has them but can be hard to implement, and the IEW pieces are so uninspiring. I wish I had some samples of WWS to look at.

I don't know if WWW has much in the way of models. But, maybe I could get past that with a little Killgallon on the side. I think Sentence Composing has had the most impact on dd's writing. I'm seeing much more interesting and complex sentences.

There's also the option of using Write With the Best until WWS comes out, but I hate to make a plan without seeing some samples.:glare:

WWS = Writing With Skill, SWB's latest, which is not yet available, but might become available a bit at a time this fall. Amazon has a Jan 1 date.

See e.g.:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279209

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258553

Update, update...

We were afraid to put the "printed books available through Amazon" date any earlier, but the material itself will be finalized by the end of April. It's just that typesetting, proofing, indexing, printing, getting into distribution is a long process.

However: as soon as we have initial typesetting done I'm happy to post samples. And I don't mind posting a couple of weeks at a time in the fall so that parents who want it can get started even before the PDF download is ready.

SWB

Edited by wapiti