Menu

Stinky Bath Towels

This is REALLY important. :tongue_smilie:

We live in an older home that has rather poor ventilation. The bathrooms do not have ventilation fans, and the AC is not efficient. We live in a very humid climate.

Our towels stink. I replace them often. I wash them with chlorine-free bleach, and dry them thoroughly in the dryer. I hang them up over the shower curtain rod, so they are in the middle of the room, air circulating freely all around.

Is there any way to avoid stinky towel syndrome?

Mine get this way if they are put away the slightest bit damp. Vinegar in the rinse water helps, too.

I also had to wash down the wooden shelves in my closet, as the linens stored there acquired a sour smell somehow--but the baking soda wash down helped.

Smelly Towel. http://www.smellywasher.com/product/smelly-towel.html

This stuff is fabulous and the company has the best customer service I've ever encountered! You can wash them in just a capful of the cleaner instead of detergent and it gets rid of the smell. I've even used it to get the stink out of my husband's martial arts uniform (he sweats a lot and practices in a dojo with no air conditioning all summer, this is a big deal!). If they are really semlly, you can start the washer and then stop it to let them soak for a couple of hours. Our towels no longer smell and it's great (we have a front loader and it was causing lots of issues). The only drawbacks I have found are that it's hard for me to find locally (if you have an ACE hardware they carry it) and the stuff was caked in the bottle when I opened it (I use a chopstick to loosen it up---a lot like onion powder does for me).

I also highly recommend the Smelly Washer to periodically clean out the washer. Much cheaper per use than the Affresh tablets (that didn't work for us). My husband washed rags containing paint thinner in my washer and this was the only thing that cleaned it.

Quite honestly, I bleach the towels if they develop a sinister smell. Our towels are dark colored and haven't seemed to fade much over the past 11 years, even with bleaching.

If you have a top loader, I would recommend filling completely, starting agitation & adding the bleach diluted in water to avoid spots. Otherwise, I've found most things are pretty colorfast.