Menu

S/o How do you sort your laundry?

Since it's Dirty Laundry Day on the boards, I've been seeing various comments about x load, y load, etc.

I could be very compulsive about sorting, but I control myself because it could get to the crazy place where I have close to a single item in each load.

So how do you sort your laundry?

Dedicates live on a shelf in my bedroom until there is enough for a small load. Otherwise, everything gos in together, warm wash cold rinse, with Tide. Some stuff may hang dry, everything else into the dryer. I do at least one load a day (for four people - oldest DD and DS do their own laundry. DS does sort and do all his black rock (etc.) t-shirts separate, on delicate, and hang drys them (so the artwork on them lasts longer.) DD throws all her dedicates in with her regular wash and does not hang dry them - but then she has to buy her own clothes, too, so if she wants to ruin them it is her loss!

The only time I will separate items and use hot water/bleach is if w have a germ working its way through the house. Otherwise a load here may well have three pairs undies, random socks, undershirts of hubbies, my tops, youngest dd's jeans and black martial art's uniform, dish towels, and other items.

New clothes, if dark, get a quick hand wash first in the bathroom sink to see if they are colorfast. if not, they are washed separately the first few times until they stop bleeding.

My washer/dryer is upstairs in our 2-story house, so I sort stuff on my queen bed (no room in the small room where the machines are - hubby has all his suits, work shirts, dresser in there since our 100+yr-old house has tiny closets in the bedrooms.)

Edited by JFSinIL

This is how I sort mine:

dark clothes

light colored clothes and whites (we don't have a lot of all white stuff. If I did, I'd have a load just for whites.)

dark clothes that get washed on delicate cycle

light colored clothes that get washed on delicate cycle

towels

Susan in TX

whites

darks

denims and other smelly carpenter clothes

my clothes (I spin all of mine on low and drip dry)

lighter (will throw in with the darks if there isn't enough to make a load)

towels

sheets

Occasionally we will have a load of reds/oranges, especially if ds has new t-shirts. I'll wash those separately for the first few times.

Everything gets tossed together :lol:

I wash all the time during the week for clothes, I only keep out major delicates, woollens, and handwash items. The rest get plonked in together, otherwise it never gets done.

DH is in charge of his trousers (because 1 pair of his jeans could be a whole load), towels & large bedding, basically anything big. He does those items on weekends.

I sort items that can go in the dryer (since its rainy season now) and put those in, I hang up more delicate/non-dryer items on the various airers we have.

DH is in charge of bringing all the dry stuff from the dryer and airers, and leaving them in baskets in the family room. He also hangs up and/or dries the larger items.

I, whenever I get the time, put away the basketed items left in the lounge.

It sounds higledy-piggledy, but for the moment, it works for us. :D

My complex system is whites (washed on hot) in one load and everything that isn't white in another. :tongue_smilie: Sometimes, if I don't have enough for two loads, I throw them together.

I'm rebelling against my mother who separates every blessed color. As a kid, I never liked to throw down my favorite orange shirt because I knew it would be weeks until she could gather enough clothes for an orange load. :lol: She still twitches every time she watches me do laundry.

• Whites/really lights (lots of light pink in that load)
  • Darks (blues/blacks/dark purples/browns)
  • Dark pinks/reds (some of these can go with the darks if I run short of a full load, but some have light portions that I don't want the dark jeans tinting)
  • Towels (because they all dry at the same speed, roughly, and I usually throw in some OxyClean)

I occasionally have a separate "these need some bleach" load or a separate "gentle cycle" load--those are rare.

We have three hampers - white for whites and lights, green for towels, purple for colors. When I grab a load it is presorted. The kids have been able to put things in the right hamper since they were quite small. Makes the laundry a little easier for me.

Lights

Darks

Jeans

Towels

Sheets

And strangely, I have a basket in the kitchen for kitchen towels, and it seems to also collect children's socks. I pick out the few colored socks that might be damaged by bleach and then dump the contents of the basket in the washer. I know socks and dishcloths seem like an odd load, but it's a lot more pleasant to sort them out when they're all clean.

Mostly Jeans and towels get separate loads because the dryer does a better job if the fabrics in the load are all about the same weight. If there's only one or two stray towels or jeans I'll toss them in with lights or darks.

Cold delicate darks (including dance clothes)

Warm darks (boys stuff)

Warm whites (mostly undies)

Cold delicate white/pinks (girly stuff)

Warm - Denim / dress pants

Warm - Dress shirts and blouses

Warm reds

Towels / washcloths / dishcloths / cloth napkins

Sheets

Bathing suits (cold, no detergent)

Specialty items (backpacks, knee brace, etc)

Sparkly reds (now and again, otherwise the sparkles get all over; we have enough for a small load; I know, I know)

I try not to obsess. ;)

Whites- two loads a week

Lights- three loads a week

Darks/Jeans- two loads a week

Permanent Press- one load a week (sometimes every other week)

Towels- three loads a week

DH's work stuff- every other day

Delicates- when I've accumulated a load-- maybe once every two to three weeks, more in the winter because DD wears tights much more when it's cold

ETA: I also do one load of sheets & 2 loads of blankets a week. More if DS is out of Good Nights.

Edited by KristinaBreece

Some of the awesome ladies on this forum suggested sorting first by bedroom, so that you don't have to do that post-washing, and that has really enabled me to keep caught up. It's probably helped me so much because it gives me a mini-goal by breaking the laundry into manageable chunks. The sorting winds up looking like this:

Oldest ds (he does his own now! Yay!)-

Darks, lights

Middle ds and toddler ds-

darks, mediums, whites

parents-

darks, mediums, whites

I usually throw sheets in with our whites or the children's mediums, depending on the color of the sheets.

Other loads:

bath towels, combined kitchen towels/cloths/bibs

I usually aim for a set of laundry through the process per day 5 days a week. That keeps us caught up.

By person - each child has their own hamper they sort and wash it themselves. I do wash new jeans and red things separately first. I wash all my dh's clothes together & I wash mine separately. Towels & bedding are also separate loads. It's very simple & I almost always have laundry under control. I do have to use a hypoallergenic detergent for my sensitive skin people, and I do not use dryer sheets. If I start having static issues I throw a ball of aluminum foil in the dryer to conteract that. Easy peasy.

Here's how I sort mine.

1. Oldest sons clothes (it all goes in together with a color catcher sheet put in)
  2. Daughters clothes (it all goes in together with a color catcher sheet put in)
  3. Youngest sons clothes (it all goes in together with a color catcher sheet put in)
  4. DH and my whites/light color clothes
  5. DH and my dark clothes (if it's too much for one load I'll split it into pants/bottoms in one load and tops/shirts in another)
  6. Oldest son's towels (his are green)
  7. Daughter's towels (hers are Caribbean blue)
  8. Youngest son's towels (his are red)
  9. Dh and my towels (ours are white and usually take two loads since we have 14 of them between the two of us)
  10. master bed sheets
  11. oldest son's sheets (again these are green)
  12. daughter's sheets (again these are Caribbean blue)
  13. youngest son's sheets (again these are red)
  14. kitchen and bath hand towels

Upstairs I have 3 hampers. Each morning I empty one of the three and start one of these loads:

Lights

Darks

Towels

Downstairs there is a basket for kitchen towels, and white socks - this is the bleach load

Other miscellaneous loads done throughout the week as needed:

Tablecloth and napkins

Baseball uniforms/practice clothes (or whatever sport is in season)

Dog blankets

Sheets

all-white cotton linens: washcloths, dishcloths, bed linens. I pre-soak them in a non-chlorine bleach before I wash them.

all other towels--bath towels, hand towels, dish towels

Mr. Ellie's all-white, all-cotton tidy whities:D

The rest of our clothes altogether.

I don't separate darks and lights. I can't figure out why I'd do that.:confused:

When I buy something new that is dark blue or dark red, or denim, I would wash it alone or with other similarly colored clothing, but once it's been washed several times, I don't separate it.

When dds were home, I washed all of their clothes in one load, until they were old enough to do their own.

Whites

Jeans & dark socks

Dark perm. press

Light perm. press (yellows, grays, whites, tans)

Red clothes (lots of these!)

Blue & Green clothes

Delicates - split btwn. dark and light

White towels

Dark towels

Wow! Looking at it, it's a lot. The only loads that are not full are the delicates.

Denise

Diapers get soaked and a short wash cycle separately. Pretty much everything else except delicates just gets thrown in together.

If I have enough laundry at one time to get a full load of lights or darks, I'll separate them that way, but I usually don't bother. If I have something new and I'm not sure of the colorfastness, I'll separate out the darks and run it through with something light and inconsequential (like a dishtowel) to be sure it's ok before going back to the non-sorting.

I have three hampers, one each for:

--whites

--lights

--darks

Whites and lights can be combined if each is too small to justify a separate load.

Periodically, whites are bleached.

Usually delicates can go in a zippered open mesh bag, be tossed in the regular load, and are air dried. I'd rather not wait for a larger load to accumulate in order to justify a separate washing.

Occasionally, particularly in the winter, some pullover shirts are a separate delicate load - separate because of all the fuzz they leave behind if combined with other clothes.

Sheets used to be washed separately until I realized they could complete a light load; however, I remove the sheets and dry them separately for two reasons: 1) less overall time needed for drying them and the remaining load; and 2) the other items in the load don't get caught up inside the sheets.

I have a separate basket for towels which includes all towels - but - I separate the kitchen stuff out when it's time to wash. Eventually, when I find an appropriate-sized basket and a place for it, I will have one basket for bathroom towels and one for kitchen towels/napkins/placemats, etc.

These are periodic separate loads:

--blankets

--heavier coats/jackets/sweaters

--throw rugs

--cleaning cloths/rags

My crew knows to unbutton all buttons on shirts, unroll any rolled-up sleeves, zip up all zippers, unfurl socks, empty pockets, unfold the unused-for-normal purpose handkerchiefs. Except for the unused handkerchiefs, they abide by these *requests* (with an occasional *reminder* needed for dh [after many-many weeks of forgetting] on the buttons; buttons are particularly hard for me to undo in the winter months. No one is reminded about the handkerchiefs - I just go ahead and do it . . . the *normally* used ones need opened up anyway . . .)

Reading over this list makes it sound like more work than it actually is!!!

Edited by eaglei

Oh whew! I thought I was the only one! I don't sort either, EVER.

Dawn

If it's dirty it hopefully goes in the dirty pile to be washed.

If it's clean it hopefully gets put away.

I did use to sort, when I used cloth diapers. I didn't mix dirty diapers with dirty clothes.

We have a 3-bin laundry basket upstairs for clothes. That holds whites (which are DH's undershirts, exercise socks, and white bath towels), lights, and darks. We have a separate basket for the girls' bath towels and hand towels that aren't white. On the main level, which is where our washer and dryer live, we have a basket for kitchen towels, which happen to be mostly white and light yellow.

So laundry is pre-sorted for me, too. My whites load includes the kitchen towels, and I wash them on hot with bleach. The lights load I wash in warm, and the darks I wash in cold. The girls' towels (and now that it's pool time, the beach towels) don't get washed as frequently and don't get bleach.

Also, I don't specifically have a place for sheets, but I do them in hot, and if we've been sick, with a small amount of bleach. They're not white, but they're all pretty light.

I love my sorter and supplemental baskets. It makes my life so, so much simpler! Now if I could just get back in the habit of one load per day, and (most importantly) put that load away immediately, I'd be all set! :lol:

Whites, light colors and darks

Sometimes I combine darks and lights to make a load.

I have a three bin laundry bin in front of the washer. Theoretically it should all be sorted for me, but my boys have a hard time differentiating between light and dark colors. I keep whites separate because I always throw in a little bleach.

I had a suds saver on my washing machine for decades..until about 10 years ago, and I have been married for 35.......so 25 years I guess. That means the machine saves some of the wash water, not all, just half maybe. It saves it in a laundry tub and you return that water to the washing machine and then start the cycle. Machine will add more clean water to the load. You save water and you use less soap. ( I generally started with white clothes or towels and ended with jeans. If the saved water was too dirty, I just dumped it and started fresh.)

After doing that for years, you see what color the water is after washing different types of laundry.

Towels, sheets, not so much color, jeans, whoa, even those old jeans send a great degree of dye to the wash water. I can't bring myself to ever not sort now as I keep seeing that dark jean water going into my white clothes.

I do recall a day when my youngest was learning his colors and asked if he could sort clothes. He sorted by every color he saw. There was red piles, and purple piles, and blue piles and green piles, etc. He was so upset when I combined the green tshirt pile with the blue t shirt pile!

Edited by KatieinMich

Light athletic gear

dark athletic gear

light delicates

dark delicates

whites/off whites regular

brights regular

darks regular

pastels regular

sheets

towels dark

towels light

towels white

kitchen stuff

cleaning rags

Yeah, I think that's it. :tongue_smilie: And, next to food shopping, laundry is my favorite chore!

The important thing to me is that underwear are washed and dried on hot. We do those on their own along with socks and I've got enough to have full loads for that reason.

Kitchen laundry. We use cloth napkins as well as dish towels and I have enough to make a full load before I wash because I like to wash this stuff on hot as well.

Bath towels and sheets (again, we've got enough to make a load and I wash this stuff on hot too). You know, my son picked out these pretty but very dark bath towels for himself. I washed them on hot with all the rest without thinking and never had a problem. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Most of this load is light colored though. Nasty clothes (say my son threw up) go in this load too.

Around the house/play type clothes and jammies.

Good dress/work type clothes, jeans, and delicates (cold wash stuff)