Menu

X-Post - CLASSICAL or ECCLESIASTICAL

I know nothing about Latin, and I am confused as to which pronunciation we would use. We are Christian, but not Catholic, so I am not sure if we would ever use ecclesiastical pronunciation, would we? I wouldn't mind if we learned a few prayers, though. A few of my children might be bound for the sciences in university, would the classical pronunciation be better to learn? Or does it not matter which we use?

I would love help in making this decision!

I don’t think it matters. I did read something rather convincing from the Memoria Press website; learning Ecclesiastical Latin is easier. That really did it for me. LOL. We can always switch later.

You might want to read the article at the Memoria Press website.

Actually, my children chose Latina Christiana out of several choices that I gave them. (Really!) They will all be able to do it together, so it seems to be a good choice. We tried Getting Started with Latin but we didn’t do it consistently.

Bump for some replies. :bigear:

We went with classical. We don't attend a church that uses Latin, and classical is what they're most likely to be exposed to in college.

The pronunciation wasn't difficult to pick up. My 2nd grader, who's finished Song School Latin and just barely started Latin for Children, is familiar enough with the language to pronounce new words right most of the time.

If you use curricula from Classical Academic Press you can use either. The disks come with chants done in both pronunciations.

The differences are small enough that you should be able to easily move between them, if that should ever become necessary. I teach eccl. because my co-op group is Catholic, and that is what the parents prefer. I personally like the sound of the classical better, but really, it is a non-issue. :001_smile: