Menu

I am looking at the Algebra companion book at the prealgebra readiness questions. So if my child can do those, are they REALLY ready to start the algebra book, even if they have not had "prealgebra?"

If you use LOF only, how is it going? Do you feel your student is getting just as much as in a traditional textbook? What are your thoughts?

Tina in SC

We used LoF only for algebra. Dd used the Key to... books alongside Fractions and Decimals & Percents, but then went straight into Beginning Algebra. This was before the pre-algebra books were even out.

She did well with Beginning Algebra. She also did some work from Real World Algebra after finishing BA, but it was more review than anything. Then she did Advanced Algebra at the beginning of this past (2010-2011) school year. When she was done, out of curiosity, I gave her the placement tests for various AoPS classes.

This is my very mathy girl. Intuitively so, almost. She BOMBED those placement tests. Not because she hadn't covered the material, or didn't understand it. The standard algorithms were unfamiliar to her. Ouch. Wake-up call!

I should add here that she wants to major in math. She's already talked about getting a doctorate in math. So she HAS to know the standard algorithms backwards and forwards. For a humanities-focused kid, I think LoF could be enough, with careful work to ensure that the standard algorithms, etc. were recognized. But I'm not sure.

For a humanities-focused kid, I think LoF could be enough, with careful work to ensure that the standard algorithms, etc. were recognized. .

I like this part of what you shared. :D

I have a humanities - focused kid. :001_smile:

Me, too, as I'm hoping our LOF fractions and decimals and percents books will arrive today. She'll be doing them along with Saxon now, so I don't think lack of exposure to standard algorithms will be an issue at this point, but I'd like to be aware for the future.

My older son is an advanced math student (he considers reading through any math book fun, and frequents math competitions). He just finished 9th grade in an advanced class of Algebra II. He has read through the LoF Algebra I book that my daughter is currently doing and he is convinced it is complete. He even mentioned there are a few topics covered by LoF that were omitted in his advanced math program. I will ask him his thoughts on the algorithms later when he gets home.

• 1 month later...

We have done Saxon from the beginning. We are switching to LoF on a trial basis. I am making my dds do an extra bridge or two after passing one. So if they pass on the second try then they are required to go ahead and do the third try. If they pass that then they can go on, if not then another bridge until they pass. Then one more bridge.

We are also doing Saxon math fact sheets several times a week and Saxon math tests. If they pass all of the Saxon math tests then I'll feel confident that they know the material, if not then we will ditch our plan.

We haven't been doing this long enough to recommend it to someone else, but it seems to be working for now. I am not sure how they would be doing if we had not done Saxon up until this point.