Menu

Hello. My name is MFS. May I enter the virtual living room?

. . . You can't know the joy it brings me to realize that even virtual acquaintances remember him.

I was so very sad when I learned of his death and of your pain. My dh can tell you that I actually cried--he seemed like such a lovely man. I loved that he helped his sisters make their bed, and loved that they called him "boy-boy." Thank you for sharing him with us--I hope to be as proud of my own ds some day.

:grouphug:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so very sad when I learned of his death and of your pain. My dh can tell you that I actually cried--he seemed like such a lovely man. I loved that he helped his sisters make their bed, and loved that they called him "boy-boy." Thank you for sharing him with us--I hope to be as proud of my own ds some day.

:grouphug:

I too cried, MFS, and read and reread your posts about him. But I wish I could have known him--he was a truly beautiful soul. I am so glad to see you here again. :grouphug::grouphug: Like Eliana's, these are personal space recognizing hugs.

Welcome back to the boards. :D

I am slowly reading the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, and listening to Anathem, by Neal Stephenson. I recommend it highly. Just read Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis. Also very good.

Edited by Caitilin

It is so good to see you back here, MFS. I lurked on the old board and still don't post too much now that I have come out of hiding. I always enjoyed your 'On the Nightstand" posts. Actually there was one yesterday and I immediately thought of you.

I am reading 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' by Helen Simonson, 'Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey and 'Ivanhoe'.

Welcome back! I've been inspired by your posts over the years- your teaching, parenting, reading!! I found your blog a couple months ago again, and I was terribly shocked and saddened to read of your loss. I've prayed for and thought of your family often. Thank you for sharing with us here, and as other have said I respect your need for privacy...

Six months ago, our son, LCpl M-mv, died in an off-duty motor vehicle accident. You can't know the joy it brings me to realize that even virtual acquaintances remember him. Thank you for remembering starfish hands, Valerie.

I'm so sorry. I remember him and you with fondness. You and your son had a wonderful relationship and both of you were an inspiration to me. :grouphug:

I'm still mostly a lurker but I remember you well. Your posts on Shakespeare were a huge help several years ago!

I read about your son a few months ago and have been praying for you and your family. And if you ever want to, well, let me know if I can do more than pray.

Oh - reading Little Dorrit!

You and your nightstand are both welcomed back.

Words cannot express the sadness I felt when hearing about your son. I have always viewed posters' children as members of the virtual playground, children that I have watched grow up.

Best regards,

Jane

(1) Thank you for the lovely words and, as I said, for remembering. He was such a funny, wonderful, smart, *good* boy and man.

(2) A shout-out to Susan and the board moderators: In the days following our son's death, the intersection of my professional, personal, and virtual lives proved more than a little disconcerting -- overwhelming, even. In an effort to preserve some sense of privacy, the board moderators and Susan herself honored my request to delete both my (practically brand-new) account and my posts. I deeply appreciated their kind consideration. [MIch elle, I think this answers your question about H.B. And when I rejoined yesterday, it just made sense to be what I was, MFS of M-mv.]

(3) As for answering my own question, I am finishing up The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth (Alexandra Robbins). Of one of her other books, a reviewer wrote that it was part soap opera, part social treatise. I think the same can likely be said of this. More, the soap opera sections ring truer than the social treatise assertions. Heh, heh, heh. Next up? In the Basement of the Ivory Tower (Professor X.), I think.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
Note to item (2)

Hello! I have always admired your way with words; what a gifted writer, and a generous one to share with us your talent. I'm so glad we get to hear from you more often.

So very sorry for your loss. I don't have any other words to give you, so I'll just offer you a little silent spot.

Chris

[MIch elle, I think this answers your question about H.B. And when I rejoined yesterday, it just made sense to be what I was, MFS of M-mv.]

Welcome back, MFS! I hope you will join the discussions on "The Hive" more often. :thumbup:

I'm sorry for the loss of your son. Your blog has been a source of inspiration for me for many years - thank you. :001_smile:

I'm not even sure I see any familiar faces. Might you wave me over to your couch if you "know" me?

[*Padding gingerly across the room.*] Excuse me. Hello. Hi. 'scuse me. May I sit here?

So. How have you been? What are you reading? Am I in the right place?

Yup, I know you (though you may not remember me from the old boards)! HI!!! Welcome back! Please jump right in and talk!

Welcome back! I remember you well, although I am mostly a lurker (as you can tell from my post count). I always enjoyed hearing (reading) what you had to say.

I am so very sorry to hear about your son. :grouphug:

I am currently reading Father Elijah by Michael O'Brian, Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers and Signs of Life by Scott Hahn.

ElaineJ

As you can see, she's gotten over that :lol:.

That's the understatement of the year!!!! :lol::lol:

And without casting a pall on this merry reunion, I'll just say that we continue to miss our son fiercely every single day, but his laughter still rings in our ears.

I'm SO sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I read about it on your blog a few months ago.

Six months ago, our son, LCpl M-mv, died in an off-duty motor vehicle accident.

When you're ready, you might want to read this announcement from a year ago by Kari C in SC.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178251&highlight=car+accident

In an effort to process her grief, she has periodically posted about her son here.

I'm pretty sure she was an "old board" poster, too, so you might remember her.

Welcome back! I still have this post (the original, maybe from 05 or 06?) up on the fridge.

Jennifer

Loved that post, too.

It is wonderful to see you here. I'm one of the old timers, though you may not remember me as I kept a very low profile on the old boards.

I have tried to keep your "Read. Think. Learn." mantra alive for all the young whipper snappers who have joined the homeschool ranks over the last few years. Only I may have misquoted it, perhaps adding "discuss" before "learn".

I am shocked and so very saddened by your loss. I remember you talking about him reading Harold Bloom's How to Read a Book, something that still strikes me now that my boys are teen agers. One is an avid reader, but I just don't see him wading through Harold's writing! (I do hope I'm remembering this right -- I can't keep a 3 word quote straight so it is quite possible I have people mixed up!)

I'm finally reading The House of the Spirits based on the glowing raves by fellow posters of Isabel Allende's writing. I can't believe it sat collecting dust on my shelf for so many years before I read it! I love it.

I do not wish to prick raw flesh, but just wanted you to know that I believe there are many here who have had your family in our thoughts for a long time now and who will continue to send good wishes your way....

As for reading, I've been reading some C. S. Lewis of late: The Problem of Pain, Letters to Malcolm, The Great Divorce, Paved with Good Intentions, etc.

And I'm revisiting some old friends: just finished Wuthering Heights; starting Mary Stewart's Arthurian books today; moving into T. H. White....

I'm not even sure I see any familiar faces. Might you wave me over to your couch if you "know" me?

[*Padding gingerly across the room.*] Excuse me. Hello. Hi. 'scuse me. May I sit here?

:seeya: Welcome back. I was ElizabethB in NC on the old boards.

I am very sorry to hear about the death of your son. :grouphug:

I am currently reading How To Reach & Teach Children & Teens with Dyslexia by Cynthia M. Stowe.

Nice to have you back!

This thread is like a family reunion!

I'm supposed to be reading Kitchen for my book group meeting on Wednesday, but I don't even have it yet. I'd better get cracking!

I'm rereading Girl Meets God, as I occasionally do, and What the Dog Saw.

I'm so sorry about your son. :grouphug::grouphug:

I do not wish to prick raw flesh, but just wanted you to know that I believe there are many here who have had your family in our thoughts for a long time now and who will continue to send good wishes your way....

Indeed. :grouphug:

Welcome back, MFS!

I remember you well, MFS-- I was Margaret T in GA. I have often thought of you and yours. And so I sit here crying for your loss. I am sending you my love over the many miles between us.

Reading The Genius in All of Us, Just Kids, and Eaarth

Hugs,

Margaret

Welcome "home"! I have missed you :)

Hello, everyone! I was worried....

Anyway, coffee, please, Audrey. And Julie... a life update, eh? Where to begin? How 'bout this? The Misses are both in high school now. Do you read M-mv? If not, here's a photo of them. I know: They're growing up *so* quickly.

Mr. M-mv and I celebrated our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary last month, so I guess *we're* growing up, too. (*wry grin*)

And without casting a pall on this merry reunion, I'll just say that we continue to miss our son fiercely every single day, but his laughter still rings in our ears.

Welcome back, MFS! My sincerest condolences for your son. I remember many of the things you wrote about him and how very proud you were of him. He will not be forgotten!

I have always been Kate CA and have been around since almost the beginning of the boards so I certainly remember you. :001_smile: I remember the wonderful conversations we had here about what was worth a listing of "Great Book" and why we choose what we choose. I still think about it.

Since you asked, I am reading the John Adams biography by David McCullough, and Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It, by Gary Taubes. Both are highly fascinating in their own ways. What are you reading?

Warmly wishing you and your husband many more blessed years together.

Welcome back. :001_smile:

Hi Doll! So glad to see you are back. Cuddle up on the couch and have a cup of tea. Missed you. Love sharing and talking books. Hope you will join in 52 books weekly thread. I'm supposed to be reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for humanities class. Taking a side trip reading a fluffy paranormal romance. *hugs*

I am so glad that you're back to share your wisdom with so many more families in the living room.

I offered sincere (although clumsy) condolences many months ago, and still have a heart that is heavy for you and yours. He is not forgotten.

Reading: Bitter Lemons, by Lawrence Durrell (a wonderfully written account (from 1957) of the author's move to Cyprus) - highly recommended, even if only for the evocative language, the vocabulary that's making me reach for a dictionary, and the deft turn-of-phrase.

I have been here lurking since the old board's inception and remember you fondly.

I am so sorry for your loss and hope we can be of comfort here.

I am reading reams of short stories looking for lots of them to populate a short story discussion and writing club for ages 9-13. Do you have any must-reads in this category?

Do stay for awhile. have another cup of tea and perhaps a biscuit.

Hey MFS,

My daughter is in a one day a week classical ed program that next year will be studying Shakespeare. When I saw the reading schedule, I immediately thought about you and your son with fond memories of your reports on his passions. I remember your stories about living in the city, and then the move to the country. What was your tag line? Something about a little prairie at the edge of the woods? I don't know if this is correct or not, but I also seem to remember that your son was involved in swimming... either swim team or life guard? Whta I remember most was how much you love your children, how proud and supportive of them you are, and what upstanding character you nourished in them.

Anyhow, I haven't been on the boards in several years, and have lost touch with all but a few of the treasured virtual friends I've met here. I had the pleasure of visiting with SWB today and she told me about your son. I was devastated to hear the news. She said you were back on the boards so I came online to find you and let you know what a wrenching kick in the gut it was to hear about your loss and how very, very sorry I am.

Love and peace to you, MFS. May his memory be eternal.

Robin

I remember you well and you have been missed greatly! I am not a frequent poster but I've been here a long, long time.

I was not aware of your loss - I'm so sorry - I do remember enjoying all your swimming and lifeguard posts since my oldest dd was lifeguarding at the same time.

Bless you and your family as you journey into this unplanned turn on the road.

I'm between books but just finished Half-Broke Horsed by Jeanette Walls. Tomorrow I'm having high tea with a dear friend and then going to see Jane Eyre.