Menu

Hello. My name is MFS. May I enter the virtual living room?

I'm not even sure I see any familiar faces. Might you wave me over to your couch if you "know" me?

[*Padding gingerly across the room.*] Excuse me. Hello. Hi. 'scuse me. May I sit here?

So. How have you been? What are you reading? Am I in the right place?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grayer, with a softer heart, and more outspoken than ever, but still here!

How is the boy who once had starfish fingers, and the little misses?

ETA: my typing is getting worse, too. LOL

ETA2: if someone can tell me how to correct a subject line, I'd be very grateful!

ETA3: two down, one nearing the finish line (2 more years). Reading: gardening books; Known and Unknown.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Hello, everyone! I was worried....

Anyway, coffee, please, Audrey. And Julie... a life update, eh? Where to begin? How 'bout this? The Misses are both in high school now. Do you read M-mv? If not, here's a photo of them. I know: They're growing up *so* quickly.

Mr. M-mv and I celebrated our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary last month, so I guess *we're* growing up, too. (*wry grin*)

And without casting a pall on this merry reunion, I'll just say that we continue to miss our son fiercely every single day, but his laughter still rings in our ears.

I recognize you.

I was mostly a lurker on the old board, and read your blog often.

I'm re-reading David Copperfield and wishing my youngest was a little older, as it's just begging to be read out loud. Also reading Girls on Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum and Saving Seeds.

Cat

Six months ago, our son, LCpl M-mv, died in an off-duty motor vehicle accident. You can't know the joy it brings me to realize that even virtual acquaintances remember him. Thank you for remembering starfish hands, Valerie.

Edited by Mental multivitamin

**cough** Excuse me, but that's my seat on the couch you're in. [sneer]

Just wanted to make sure it felt like family here. That was may attempt at being the socially inept aunt/uncle/sibling/inlaw/cousin or whatever that we all have. Welcome home!!!

Welcome back!

I remember you! I can't remember if I switched my name when the board changed.

forgot to add, I am reading "Darcy and Fitzwilliam" and finishing "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and with my kids I am reading "Emily's run away imagination" and "The Mysterious Benedict Society" :)

Edited by Hen Jen
add books

Welcome back!

I remember you from the old board; I always enjoyed your "On the Nightstand."

Right now, I'm reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants, and making my way through some London/England guide books.

ETA: So very, very sorry to hear about your son.

Edited by Imprimis

Six months ago, our son, LCpl M-mv, died in an off-duty motor vehicle accident. You can't know the joy it brings me to realize that even virtual acquaintances remember him. Thank you for remembering starfish hands, Valerie.

I'll forever remember him as the Baywatch boy :001_smile:.

Hi MFS! It's good to see you here again. I think we lived in Kyrgyzstan when you were here before, and now we're back again. (I point that out because it's the most identifying thing about me.)

And I too am sorry for your loss. Even though I only ever read about your son here and on your blog, I wished my own boys could have known him. I'm always hoping for them to meet young men like him.

I was just looking at your blog, seeing the pictures of your sweet young women, and then looking for something that told about him, the dear *man* he must be growing up to be. And then I came to Apr 27, and now I'm sitting here crying for the the loss of the one who thought he was all that after several years lifeguarding, and who really *was* all that, after all you poured into him, and all the ways you chose to parent differently, and all the ways he chose to be a good (and funny!) man. Oh MFS, how can it be that someone I hardly know (well, really don't know...) can have such a grip on my heart, through your words that reflected who he was/is.

What a loss.

And what courage you have, knowing that coming here would bring this up. Sending you a gentle hug and my best wishes.

Did he ever tell his second semester college class that he was homeschooled?

Of to go find a box of kleenex, darn it....

Edited by Valerie(TX)

I'm not even sure I see any familiar faces. Might you wave me over to your couch if you "know" me?

[*Padding gingerly across the room.*] Excuse me. Hello. Hi. 'scuse me. May I sit here?

So. How have you been? What are you reading? Am I in the right place?

:grouphug:

Welcome back!

I am so sorry about your dear son. :grouphug: I loved the lifeguarding inspiration from Baywatch story!

So glad to have you back!! I do read your blog from time to time, and when I read about your loss I was so terribly sorry for you and your family & wished I could send my sympathy. From what you shared on the old board and on Mmv, he was a wonderful young man.

I'm reading How to Live or A Life of Montaigne (by Sarah Bakewell), listening to A Distant Mirror (Barbara Tuchman), and reading aloud The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (by Jeanne Birdsall).

Seriously? I can't believe it's been that long since you've been on the boards (since you are new posting here)! I remember, well, your name, but not so much your face . . .

:seeya:

(I came out of lurking years ago on the old boards.)

ETA: Reading through the threads here. I am so sorry about your ds. (((hug)))(((hug)))

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

I remember you, and have missed you. I am sorry about your son, one of your blog posts about him not putting his cereal bowl in the sink and how much you enjoyed him is still a reminder to take pleasure in my own son. I will take it even closer to heart now.

I've never been one of the more frequent posters, but I've been here daily since 1999! Welcome back!!!!I love reading your posts and your book recs!

I'm currently reading: Bleak House, Dickens.

Just finished: Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf and Pretty in Plaid, Jen Lancaster.

I'm sorry about the loss of your son. I remember him through your posts. He was a special kid--he lifeguarded, didn't he?

Beth

Edited by Beth in OH

Charmed to see you here again, Melissa. Love your blog. Loved it when you mused here as well. :cheers2:

Edited to add what I'm reading:

GK Chesterton's History of England

Meandering my way through various of the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency books

Evaluating various ancient lit pieces for dd's freshman year of high school. I'm having the time of my life and she is scared to death.

And just for fun, and to see what all the hype is about . . . the Twilight series. I actually enjoyed the first couple books of the series (not so much the fourth), though I had to restrain myself from wanting to coach and edit as I went along.

Edited by strider