Menu

do you change your wake-up time in the summer?

Ds had his last day of school today. I have been getting up at 5:50 to exercise. I am trying to decide if I should just stick with this or if I should sleep in a bit now that summer is here. Mostly, I want to make sure I stick with my habit of exercising as soon as I awaken. I just roll out of bed, throw on my exercise clothes, and do it. I was thinking of getting up at 6:50. I would still be able to get it done before ds wakes up (being a teenage boy and all :D), but I am wondering if there is any reason to change what I am doing. I guess I worry that I'll start sleeping later and later :lol:

Do you all change your wake-up times in the summer?

Edited by Hoggirl

I most certainly have no desire to get up at 6.15 am once my oldest finishes school. I will get up around 6.45 or 7.00 to have some peace and quiet before my dh gets up and then our youngest (I might even be able to push it to 7.15) , I don't have to worry about my oldest until 9.00 or later...

I changed when the time changed. I was getting up at 5:30am. Now I get up at 6:30am. Although I moved the children's schedules up an hour too, it wasn't as smooth a move as I had thought. Certain things had to stay the same, like lunch, so my morning is more cramped. But, it's always fun to do things differently for awhile!

I get up earlier in the summer because the daylight wakes me up, and I have tons more energy and need way less sleep. I'll wake up refreshed and ready for the day as early as 5:30-6:00am during the summer. I suffer with SAD during the winter so I stumble out of bed as early as I can...usually around 8-8:30am.

Another earlier-in-summer riser here. I do sometimes nap in the afternoons when the heat is at its worst. Generally we have to be out of the house earlier during the summer for camps and so forth, anyway, which often means I have to add packing lunches to our morning tasks.

:iagree: Actually we're closer to 10am at my house :leaving:

Thank you! I was going to post that, but was too embarrassed. Today, we started school AFTER lunch. Of course, it didn't help that I was out until after midnight last night.

My goal is to get up 1.5 hours before the kids are up. We normally get the kids up at 7:30 to take Dh to work. Now that he is off for the summer, the kids sleep till 8:30. And Mommy sleeps until 7:00!!!

that I could sleep until 9:00 as he often doesn't get up until 10:30!!!

He will be gone five weeks this summer, so I can't always correlate to this. I think I need to not be tied to his schedule.

I hate it that we do, but yeah--we do. For some reason, without even talking about it or planning it, we immediately switch to staying up late and waking up late as soon as vacation starts. But we live in California which is normally very hot and it makes so much more sense to get up early in the summer before it's a million degrees outside. What really irritates me is that I'm the worst offender. :tongue_smilie: Today's wake up time? 9:30am. :blush:

Yep, it's usually earlier because the sun rises earlier and wakes me up (I don't have an alarm that goes off. I can't stand waking up to BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! It just starts me off in a bad mood!). I like to get up and be outside before it gets hot anyway. I can always take a nap in the afternoon when it's like 400 degrees outside!:D

My goal is to get up 1.5 hours before the kids are up. We normally get the kids up at 7:30 to take Dh to work. Now that he is off for the summer, the kids sleep till 8:30. And Mommy sleeps until 7:00!!!

Wow, tell me your secret! I could get up at 3 am and my younger kids would probably be up by 3:15! It's like they have radar or something.

I get up earlier in the summer. Around 6:30 or so. It's harder in the winter when it's pitch black outside and freezing to leave my warm bed.

Exactly, but we're getting sunrise around 5:30 a.m. And, the birds around here sure do believe that "Early Bird" saying. Today, they woke me at 4:19 a.m. Yes, I got up. :) I ran an extra 3 miles because I had so much extra time. And, still had time for a nap too. :tongue_smilie:

We get up earlier to beat the heat also. I wake up at 6 am, the kids at about 7 and we eat and then get ourselves outside. We just have a baby pool and a sprinkler, but the kids have a blast. We try and stay out until about 11 and then we eat and the kids watch a movie or nap in their rooms and I get a wonderful 2-3 hrs to myself. Then we go back outside after dinner until about 9 pm and then its baths and bed. I only require about 6-7 hrs of sleep so it works for me! If I am tired I nap with the kids and if I am not I watch a movie or work :)

Lol, no secret, just tired babies. :) Bink is normally squirming in his crib as soon as he hears me knocking around, but he can't get up before 7:30, so he just has to wait it out. Same with the two toddlers, if they happen to poke their heads out of the door. I send them back for "quiet time". I get so much more done in the 1.5 hours without the babies crawling all over me than I get done in the entire day. I read scriptures, study Spanish, and get cleaning done.

I'm the mean mom who makes her kids sleep in. :tongue_smilie:

My Dh doesn't drive, so the school year wake up time is determined more by what time he needs to be at work than anything else. The kids get up 20 minutes before we leave, I get up 1.5 hours before that...just a domino effect.

Me- not generalyl because I still like getting up around dawn. I am a morning person and if I sleep in, I feel I have wasted the best hours of my day.

I let the kids sleep in much more, though. Which gives me even more time to myself.

But- it is my joy to do that. If it was work, or discipline- I would allow myself to relax and sleep in.