Menu

One-day potty training - help me find this post!

Several weeks ago, in the middle of some long thread, a mom of many posted the best step-by-step explanation I have ever seen of one-day potty training. She said that she had trained several children, all around the age of 20 months. Now I can't find the post. Does anyone remember it?

My DS wants to wear his "big boy underwear" on Saturday(daddy will be home to help=) I hope someone can post the link to this post.. I'm :bigear:! Thanks!

Several weeks ago, in the middle of some long thread, a mom of many posted the best step-by-step explanation I have ever seen of one-day potty training. She said that she had trained several children, all around the age of 20 months. Now I can't find the post. Does anyone remember it?

I don't think it was me as I can't remember posting about potty training lately. But I can tell you our "method" of potty training changed significantly after I read the potty training in a day thing. We did "normal" potty training with our oldest two as soon as they turned two. With Elizabeth I used elimination communication techniques (just a smidge) when she was 15/16 months to name her bowel habits. We had great success with that and she was fully trained to potty "on command" by 18 months and could be reliably left in underwear at that point. We came to find out she was just easy peasy. :) Becca's potty training didn't go so well, but part of that was just her food/behaviour stuff and part of it was she is easily sidetracked, so though trained by her second birthday, she did have an accident almost every day for a long while.

I read the book with Tim. There is an actual book, an old one, and it does work.

It is the difference between training to potty and training HOW to potty. :) There is a HUGE difference between those two and I never realized it.

For example, with my oldest children I trained them to successfully hold it until Mama took them potty.

Now I do it entirely differently and not TOTALLY according to the book, but an even less painful way.

Once they get to about the right age, and can do word association, you can teach them what "pee pee" and "poo" means without effort.

1. Every time you see them go poo, name it. "Poop? You're going poop? Okay, good girl, let's change your poop." It's as simple as that.

2. I put the potty chair in the bathtub and anytime I notice she's dry when I expect her to be wet, I sit her on the potty and let warm water run over her feet. It's instinctive and they can't hold it. They pee. We name it. "Good girl!! You went pee! Pee!"

This is a long term goal for me. The first few weeks, I use the water. When I think they're getting it, I stop the water but keep the potty in the same place. After they are successful at just peeing on the word, then I can move the potty to a convenient place. It's NEVER a sit until you go type of a thing. If they go, great. If they don't, oh well. I may not do it every day. I DEFINITELY don't do it often. I'm just trying to build a word association. A "key" word. That's all.

They're about 17-18 months at this point. (With Elizabeth she was 15/16 months.) I do this on OCCASION. This is NOT potty learning. This is simply teaching them word association. There are those that will then want to use the potty for pottying once they understand the connection/praise thing.

Then, once you have that word association thing down cold, you're set, just pick a day. You'll know because they'll begin telling you when they are pooping. They may or may not use the word, but you'll hear a grunt and a point, or they'll show you, or something. Generally if you're quick on your feet in the AM, they'll start staying dry at night.

So, you've picked your day. Now what?

1. The day before stock up on apple juice. (This should be a treat, not the norm. They should be totally used to water in their cup so this is a big deal.)

2. Pick up something or somethings salty.

The goal? Feed the child salt, make it thirsty, give it a lot to drink, make it pee. The more opportunities, the better the training. :D ONLY put on underwear, NO diapers.

*Make this a day (or two really) when you are NOT multi-tasking. This is your priority. Your only priority. Give it the importance it deserves and you won't turn it into a two week job.

Your goal today is not simply to place your baby on the potty and have them pee. That is not success. If you do this you are doing the same thing I did and training the child to potty on command. It's a definite plus over diapers, but it's not where you want to be.

Where YOU want to be is with the child taking himself/herself potty. So, you have them go potty on the potty, praise. That's enough for the first time. But then you need to have them walk themselves to the potty. No carrying, no hand-holding. You have THEM take off their underwear. (This is why pants aren't so great for a little while, or if you do easy up/down pants.) You don't sit them on the potty, they sit on the potty themselves.

Then they go, praise.

If you have enough fluids in them, this works remarkably fast. You'll take them about every 15 minutes. If they go, wait another 15-20 minutes. If they don't - only wait 5-10.

Don't make sitting on the potty a chore. It's fun.

They don't sit until they go. They sit for a short bit, telling key word association that they understand to be the relaxing of muscles. If it doesn't work, then wait five and repeat.

Accidents happen. If you're doing this when they are 18-23 months accidents just WILL happen. The sooner you accept that, the better. My son Tim was about 22 months. He really didn't have accidents, he really did potty train in about one day. It was great. Rebecca DID have accidents. Often. She is like me, easily sidetracked, and we'd have an accident (potty) about 3-5 times a week. It happens. Abigail had accidents 1-2 times a week. Sarah was pretty much potty trained once she was potty trained with an accident on rare occasion.

Daniella is 18 months on the 20th. She is showing definite awareness of being wet - grabbing her bottom when she goes pee, trying to take off her diaper, etc. She's ready, I'm just not. :D We expect the new baby sometime this month and I'm just not up for it right now.

*I need to add that my children are in cloth diapers. This creates a LOT of awareness of wetness that your average child may or may not have. It may still work just as smoothly but I've not tested it. :)

This is the book we read:

by Azrin

He goes into more detail, using a doll as an example for the child, etc. We never did use a doll. He doesn't do the word association thing. We picked that up from the Elimination Communication crowd.

Edited by BlsdMama

I want to read it too!! Our 2.5 yr old wants to wear her undies but we are having fits getting her to use the potty.

In our experience compared to others we've found that it is MUCH easier to teach a baby (18-23 months) than it is the 2.5-3yo crowd. We have a just turned 3yo and I could see her being willful about this though she would understand perfectly. I don't know how I'd handle that so I'm not much use to you....

In our experience compared to others we've found that it is MUCH easier to teach a baby (18-23 months) than it is the 2.5-3yo crowd. We have a just turned 3yo and I could see her being willful about this though she would understand perfectly. I don't know how I'd handle that so I'm not much use to you....

We've been working with her since she was 18 mos, she just did not get it at all. We've always done the word association part that you explained, but for some reason she's just one of those difficult kids that it did not click at all. She's not being willful, it's just not coming easily to her. K is an extremely active little girl, that may be part of the problem, I don't know. :001_smile:

2. I put the potty chair in the bathtub and anytime I notice she's dry when I expect her to be wet, I sit her on the potty and let warm water run over her feet. It's instinctive and they can't hold it. They pee. We name it. "Good girl!! You went pee! Pee!"

That's ingenious! I'm currently potty training my 23 month old dd and it worked!!!! Thank you!!!

So, you've picked your day. Now what?

1. The day before stock up on apple juice. (This should be a treat, not the norm. They should be totally used to water in their cup so this is a big deal.)

2. Pick up something or somethings salty.

The goal? Feed the child salt, make it thirsty, give it a lot to drink, make it pee. The more opportunities, the better the training. :D ONLY put on underwear, NO diapers.

*Make this a day (or two really) when you are NOT multi-tasking. This is your priority. Your only priority. Give it the importance it deserves and you won't turn it into a two week job.

Your goal today is not simply to place your baby on the potty and have them pee. That is not success. If you do this you are doing the same thing I did and training the child to potty on command. It's a definite plus over diapers, but it's not where you want to be.

Where YOU want to be is with the child taking himself/herself potty. So, you have them go potty on the potty, praise. That's enough for the first time. But then you need to have them walk themselves to the potty. No carrying, no hand-holding. You have THEM take off their underwear. (This is why pants aren't so great for a little while, or if you do easy up/down pants.) You don't sit them on the potty, they sit on the potty themselves.

Then they go, praise.

If you have enough fluids in them, this works remarkably fast. You'll take them about every 15 minutes. If they go, wait another 15-20 minutes. If they don't - only wait 5-10.

Don't make sitting on the potty a chore. It's fun.

They don't sit until they go. They sit for a short bit, telling key word association that they understand to be the relaxing of muscles. If it doesn't work, then wait five and repeat.

by Azrin

He goes into more detail, using a doll as an example for the child, etc. We never did use a doll. He doesn't do the word association thing. We picked that up from the Elimination Communication crowd.

:iagree: This is what I've used for most of my dc. I used pop, chips, and m&m's (idea from clicker training my dog). My 4th was 3 1/2 and potty trained in 2 hours. I still have no idea of how it happened so quickly. I'm hoping dh clears the house tomorrow with the children so I can work with dd one-on-one (except for infant ds). :D

We've been working with her since she was 18 mos, she just did not get it at all. We've always done the word association part that you explained, but for some reason she's just one of those difficult kids that it did not click at all. She's not being willful, it's just not coming easily to her. K is an extremely active little girl, that may be part of the problem, I don't know. :001_smile:

Well the question is:

Are you saying the word WHILE she's tinkling or can you get her not to tinkle? :D Because you're naming that relaxing of the muscle sensation - the release. But it does no good to tell them to go potty or try to potty unless they are actually doing it because then the association is with nothingness, not the action. :) The warm water triggers the instinctive release, then you can name the action.