Menu

Any opthalmologists or spouses on the boards?

I had an eye exam today, and there are tiny aneurysms and hemorrhages in both eyes. I am not diabetic, don't have blood pressure, haven't had any big coughing or sneezing fits, haven't strained myself lifting, etc. So I have to go back in five weeks to see whether they're still there. I have a grid thing that I have to look at every day, and if the way it looks changes, I have to go back right away instead of waiting the five weeks.

So the dr was saying that if the abnormalities are still there at my follow up appt, they will do angiograms with dye in both eyes so they can observe the blood flow. That freaks me out a little bit!

What are the odds that this is something serious? What are they looking for in the angiograms and what are next possible steps? I should have asked more questions, but I was caught off-guard since I was there for a routine eye exam and new prescription for my glasses.

(I'm not an optometrist and I don't play one on tv)

What about vomiting. I always break blood vessels around my eyes vomiting.

Is this your regular optometrist or someone new to you? Has it been along time seen your last exam?

Are you near a university that has a school of optometry? That would be a good place to find out more/get a second opinion.

Edited by OrganicAnn

:grouphug:

I'm not a doctor, but I have had a retinal hemorrhage. The dye test I had, they injected the dye in a vein in my arm or hand (don't remember which) and then took computerized pictures of the inside of my eyes. I think the dye lets them see the blood vessels better and where the leak(s) are.

My hemorrhage happened overnight (I had warning signs that I ignored) and almost completely obscurred the vision in my left eye. I had a vitrectomy (outpatient surgery) the next day, and they used lasers to stop the bleeding. My vision in my left eye is "dimmer" than before, but otherwise the same. At one of my followup appointments, the MD said I needed more laser work done which he did at the same appointment. I was awake for that and it wasn't too bad. I waited for about an hour and then drove myself home.

Your problem does not sound as severe as my problem. Please don't freak out. Keep checking your vision the way they told you; get back to them if it changes, and be sure to keep your 5 week appointment. Maybe you can call them back with your questions.

Best wishes.

(I'm not an optometrist and I don't play one on tv)

What about vomiting. I always break blood vessels around my eyes vomiting.

Is this your regular optometrist or someone new to you? Has it been along time seen your last exam?

Are you near a university that has a school of optometry? That would be a good place to find out more/get a second opinion.

No vomiting.

He's my regular opthalmologist that I've been going to for at least 5 years. A lot of people where I work go to him; he's a great doctor. It's been 2 years since my last exam.

They took pictures of my eyes and he showed me the spots on the pictures on the computer. I am comfortable that he knew what he was talking about.

Edited by LizzyBee

I'm not a doctor, but I have had a retinal hemorrhage. The dye test I had, they injected the dye in a vein in my arm or hand (don't remember which) and then took computerized pictures of the inside of my eyes. I think the dye lets them see the blood vessels better and where the leak(s) are.

My hemorrhage happened overnight (I had warning signs that I ignored) and almost completely obscurred the vision in my left eye. I had a vitrectomy (outpatient surgery) the next day, and they used lasers to stop the bleeding. My vision in my left eye is "dimmer" than before, but otherwise the same. At one of my followup appointments, the MD said I needed more laser work done which he did at the same appointment. I was awake for that and it wasn't too bad. I waited for about an hour and then drove myself home.

Your problem does not sound as severe as my problem. Please don't freak out. Keep checking your vision the way they told you; get back to them if it changes, and be sure to keep your 5 week appointment. Maybe you can call them back with your questions.

Best wishes.

I am glad to hear from someone who's been through this and to know that it turned out fine. That must have been scary for you! I had no idea anything was wrong other than I need new glasses, no symptoms at all.

The reason he's waiting instead of ordering the tests right away is because if I had some kind of strain that I forgot about, the problem should resolve within that time. That being said, he seems pretty concerned, and I am trying not to let that scare me.