Menu

Debating the Value of College in America: The New Yorker

Laura in CA

Interesting article here. My apologies if this has already been posted on this board!

~Laura

Excerpt:

A lot of confusion is caused by the fact that since 1945 American higher education has been committed to both theories. The system is designed to be both meritocratic (Theory 1) and democratic (Theory 2). Professional schools and employers depend on colleges to sort out each cohort as it passes into the workforce, and elected officials talk about the importance of college for everyone. We want higher education to be available to all Americans, but we also want people to deserve the grades they receive.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Laura. While other articles discussed the book Academically Adrift, I was happy to read this writer questioning conclusions made in that book. Specifically the duo who wrote Adrift rely on a questionable standardized exam (the CLA). There are two issues that I have here. One is simply whether the CLA is an accurate measure of knowledge or critical thinking. Secondly I have a larger problem in the use of standardized exams to measure knowledge--but I realize that many feel that using tests for measurable outcomes is both valid and preferable.

Once again the New Yorker publishes a thought provoking piece. Questioning the validity of college is not simple. This writer addresses this by noting the different missions of different types of post secondary schools and how majors themselves differ. Good article.

Jane

Thank you for posting that link. I really enjoyed the article and the author did a great job at explaining the different views of higher education. I believe we all hold one of the views. I see many of them mentioned on here in college threads.

As for myself? I've always been a "mutt" of sorts. I ascribe to all of the views together. My boys are going to college for the learning (overall - many subjects), for a job (specifically), and for the social aspects (life lessons). I can't say that one outweighs the others, but if I had to choose, the learning would be my #1. If they end up in a job other than their major, I'm ok with it.

Variety is the spice of life! I guess my own philosophy is that we need colleges that are all about #1, colleges that are all about #2, and colleges that blend both because there are legitimate cases for both learning institutions.

I have huge issues with the CLA exam and question the premise of the book so I am pleased with the tone of this article and the author's take on the matter.

One of the trends that I fear is that of the "one size fits all" educational philosophy. I feel as though colleges were more diverse both in campus life, educational offerings, ways of measuring learning, accomodated a wider variety of goals, etc. when I was at my LAC than now. Our governmental educational system, in its infinite wisdom that dictates a narrow view of what it means to be educated and a love affair with standardized tests in order to determine who is educated, has taken much of the variety and creative thinking out of k-12 education. I believe that this philosophy is now incidiously invading the halls of America's institutions of higher learning. The "bang for the buck" mentality is slowly dominating, thus interfering with a balanced approach.

Truth be known, it's a trap that every parent faces. I want my children to be well-educated citizens of this country, well-read, capable of serious critical thinking and exposed to a wide variety of learning opportunities. Unfortunately, the few institutions left that actually work very hard against the modern educational trend, are insanely expensive. Thus, sometimes, though we tend to be in the philosophy #2 camp, finances can make us very pragmatic, UGH!

Okay, now that was one completely rambling post. Good gravy, I may need a second dose of Allegra D so that I can get my head out of its allergy induced haze and think like a grown-up. Sorry!

Thanks for linking the article. Off to take more medicine!

Faith

Good article!

We've debated this quite a lot in our family, too, since we have a mix of engineering school and small private LACs in the clan.

I would like to point out that there are universities that combine both #1 and #2: they give almost anyone a chance and then have a few weeder classes early on. The debates in my family often center around whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. The general conclusion is that it is a good thing, a fair thing, but that we would all rather go to a school that does its weeding in the admissions process and then tries their best to get you through once you are there.

I have serious doubts about standardized tests assessing something like a college education. I think it varies too much, depending on major and school.

-Nan

I also thought this article was excellent -- thank you for posting it, Laura.

While other articles discussed the book Academically Adrift, I was happy to read this writer questioning conclusions made in that book.

I'm interested in reading more along these lines, and wondered if others who have read Academically Adrift have also read other books that they might recommend. Right now I am reading Readicide: How Schools are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It. I'm only 30 pages into it -- so not far enough in to recommend it (or not).

Any suggestions for further reading? Thanks! :)

As a community college adjunct myself, we've discussed In the Basement of the Ivory Tower in the faculty lounge quite a bit because the college library buys that sort of book and lets us know about it.

I teach technology to college students, but ironically I teach grammar and writing to homeschoolers for $ as well because I started at liberal arts college with that sort of major and then transferred to the technical world after three years of classes. So when I have my students write a 1 1/2 page paper and format it into a newsletter with columns, graphics, etc. and the writing is horrific, I have to take notice. And I've had "repeat customers" who have taken my class three times and failed all three times because "you're a fair professor but my life makes it hard to get my assignments done."

And yes, I've failed 1/2 of my class before. My class is not hard. There is a lot of homework though because you'll never technical skills only from a book. And many students will not sit down to crank it out. This summer might be an exception because we're almost to mid-terms and only one student is really bottoming out, but this group of students also told me that they're all planning to transfer to a 4-year college for a particular major, so they are the exception already.