Menu

Has anyone used Diana Waring's curriculum with 7/8 graders?

grace4me

I am looking for input on using either Ancient Civilizations or Roman, Reformers with a squiggly wiggly and an artsy/fartsy - grades 7 and 8 respectively (next fall). I have SL cores 6/7 and can pull readers from them.

I think both dd's would enjoy the audio portions and retain more from more hands-on activities. One dd is like pulling teeth to sit down and read (read-alouds work as does anything where she has my undivided attn. - the other is a voracious reader) We will be using IEW for writing and Aplogia Science....

I haven't seen much on the boards about this curriculum. Has anyone used it? Likes and dis-likes. Thanks!

It's not a popular choice on this board, as far as I can tell. I have the TM for Ancient Civilizations and the Bible and all of the audios but haven't seen the Student Book. There is a good portion of the Student Book printed in the TM, so I have been able to read the articles (which are excellent, full of information) and the complete book lists. I have given it alot of consideration for my children. My oldest will be in 7th next year. My youngest will be a 4th grader. I think it would be too mature for my youngest. The book lists are incrediable and definately at the right level for upper middle school and high school. I like that there are so many choices of learning activities and different ways for the children to present what they have learned. The children are encouraged to take alot of "ownership" in their own learning and I think it would be a very motivating approach. We do listen to the audios often and have enjoyed those very much. There is an active yahoo group where Diana regularly participates and quickly responds to questions. It is called SharingWaring, if you want to check it out. You can find lots of sample pages there, including the complete book lists.

I came pretty close to choosing this for us for the future but I'm not sure. She is very focused on some things that I disagree with but the issue is one that is just a personal "pet peeve", I guess you could say, of mine. It's probably a very minor thing for most (an issue of interpretation of prophecy). And, I'm still not completely ruling it out. With all of the very meaty books that she recommends, I imagine it would be easy to provide alternate viewpoints of various things just by sticking to the curriculum as it is written.

I came pretty close to choosing this for us for the future but I'm not sure. She is very focused on some things that I disagree with but the issue is one that is just a personal "pet peeve", I guess you could say, of mine. It's probably a very minor thing for most (an issue of interpretation of prophecy). And, I'm still not completely ruling it out. With all of the very meaty books that she recommends, I imagine it would be easy to provide alternate viewpoints of various things just by sticking to the curriculum as it is written.

Could you tell me how she interprets prophecy? I use HOD and her audios are used in upper levels. I am not sure if I want to use her materials because I have problems with people trying to impose there personal beliefs on other people.

Could you tell me how she interprets prophecy? I use HOD and her audios are used in upper levels. I am not sure if I want to use her materials because I have problems with people trying to impose there personal beliefs on other people.

We are going back to HOD next year :001_smile:!

She adamantly believes that present day Israel is a fulfillment of the end-time prophecies about Israel's regathering. I do not believe that. I believe God will fulfill those prophecies but I don't believe He has done so today through the nation of Israel as it currently exists. I do not believe that Zionism is the fulfillment of prophecy, atleast not in the sense that Mrs. Waring would promote.

I know it's just a little thing but it matters to me. What one believes about that really does impact their view of all of modern History. As I said, not an issue that most would probably have a problem with.

And, I really like the curriculum anyways. :D

We are going back to HOD next year :001_smile:!

She adamantly believes that present day Israel is a fulfillment of the end-time prophecies about Israel's regathering. I do not believe that. I believe God will fulfill those prophecies but I don't believe He has done so today through the nation of Israel as it currently exists. I do not believe that Zionism is the fulfillment of prophecy, atleast not in the sense that Mrs. Waring would promote.

I know it's just a little thing but it matters to me. What one believes about that really does impact their view of all of modern History. As I said, not an issue that most would probably have a problem with.

And, I really like the curriculum anyways. :D

I don't believe that either. Is the curriculum steeped with end times prophecy or is it something that is occasionally inserted and can be ignored?