Menu

Apologia (Elementary) questions...

We've only done the astronomy, but my kids loved it. They loved all the projects and learned a lot. I couldn't believe how much my K'er even got out of it. I bought all the Zoology ones and Botany, but haven't had a chance to look through them much yet.

We've only done the astronomy, but my kids loved it. They loved all the projects and learned a lot. I couldn't believe how much my K'er even got out of it. I bought all the Zoology ones and Botany, but haven't had a chance to look through them much yet.

Thanks, Sarah, for your reply. Obviously, we haven't done any of them, but I am planning to next year. Just not sure which one/ones.

Anyone else care to state your opinion? I know there are lots of apologia users. Pretty please?:D

Well, here is my experience:

Boys were in 2nd and 4th grades. We did Astronomy in the spring. It just took us a semester and I supplemented with lots of books. They did a power point instead of a notebook because we had done a human body notebook in the fall and a Texas history notebook all year and they wanted something different. They loved the book. A semester was plenty of time to finish it. Their power points were great.

Boys were in 3rd and 5th

We did Botony 1st semester and Zoo 1 2nd semester. We did notebooks and they enjoyed it.

Middle one in 4th and 5th

It gets fuzzy here as we had co-op, but to me it wasnt' enough science. So in addition, he completed the Zoo 2 and 3 book. My oldest one went on to General science in 6th and Physical in 7th.

Last year my girl was in 3rd grade. My co-op did the Human Body one all year. Oh my goodness, the material is SO much harder than the other books. I'm glad we took all year to do it. To me, this book is 5th-8th grade material. The other books you can easily incorporate K, 1st and 2nd. By the end of the year, she was doing ok, but the spelling...oh my goodness. This would make a very good health textbook for middle school. You could add in a basic first aid course and perhaps a drug/alcohol unit, and a more indepth- s-- unit. The reproduction is more about DNA and development not birds and bees. Anyway, they need to repackage this as it is too hard for most younger elementary students.

The other books can easily be done in a semester. Mine would have been too bored doing it over a whole year and it was so easy to read. We just spent like 30 minutes of science a day and easily finished the books in a semester. The Human Body book was VERY good, but very detailed: all the bones in the body, etc.

Chrisitne

We've only done a couple- Astronomy, and Zoology 1 (flying creatures). We are doing Zoology 2 (swimming creatures) next year. My kids have loved all of them. They are also very hand's-on. If you get the notebook, there will be some writing and cut & fold books to do that are fun. We have avoided Botany because it seemed uninteresting to me, but I know someone who did that one and said it was really good. There appear to be hands-on activities for all of them.

I think Astronomy was my favorite so far.