Menu

Please HELP, i need a writing program for rising 5th grader ds

babygemma

hi, i'm sure this question has been asked over and over again, but i'm wondering if you all could help with my specific situation. my 9-yo ds is finishing up 4th grade and likes to write, although he has never received formal writing instruction at public school where he has been, just not much time devoted to learning how to write. the teacher didn't even edit much of the kids' work, so sad. i've been reading a lot about WWE and Writing Tales and read that some people use this combination. I just visited WT website and it looks comprehensive with grammar study and that would be a plus for us since I'm also looking for a complete secular LA program, this is my son's strength. Right now i'm using my friend's Voyages in English but it's kind of dry.

Anyway, is there a writing program that have the kids break down sentences from the passages and teach them to re-write them in many different ways? I think that is one of the areas that my son could benefit from. He hasn't learned to vary his sentences to make his writing more colorful. I've also read about narration, dictation, copywork and wonder the value of these for someone at his age. we've never done any of these:(

thank you so much for whatever input/suggestions/opinions you are willing to give.

I would highly suggest the IEW recomended in the previous post. My son (12) and daughter (10) spent the year doing it with a co-op and we are working on it with my younger daughter (8) this summer. I have seen amazing results with my older 2 children. It breaks down the writing process and makes it really simple. It starts by giving a you a paragraph which you outline and then rewrite it. It is expensive but having tried many other programs this is by far the best one I have ever seen.

Annmarie

Saxon/Hake Grammar and Writing is FINALLY working for us here. It combines grammar, writing, some vocabulary work, dictation and journal writing. I have tried pretty much all the others. IEW is okay. We found it annoying and waay too much money. I would not do WWE 1-4 and something else at this stage, really.