Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My3Boys

No Soda Bought With Food Stamps?

I have seen so many variations of these threads. I am always :confused: at them, though. No one ever changes their mind or manages to change someone else's mind. So we go round and round trying to convince others that we are the one with the "right" attitude, "right" solutions, "right" ideals, "right" fill - in - the - blank. <sigh>

I do find it hilarious that the minor fraction of the federal budget that makes up the food stamp portion causes SO many people to get SO wound up. :001_huh: You could entirely eliminate the program and it wouldn't make a dent. But, we debate away, regardless of insulting people and hurting feelings. Is it to feel holier - than - thou over superior choices? :(

It feels like "let's spend $10 to save $1." Of the masses on food stamps, most are honest, hard working people trying to bridge a gap. There are a few here and there that are scamming the system, taking advantage, etc. But we hyper - focus on them to the detriment of the majority who aren't doing anything wrong, just struggling to get by. :confused: And no matter *what* rules and regulations are in place, there will be cheaters and scammers. They will find a way to exist within the confines of any given system. But penalizing the very major majority over the garbage of the very few minority is sad.

I know several families on food stamps who had a parent lose a job, be unable to find another one, and go back to school for long term job prospect improvement. That is a *good* choice. That is a *positive* for not only that family, but for society at large. Why turn it into such an ugly thing that they are using social helps to get back on their feet, stronger than before??

I didn't mean it to be snide, or to make light of your father's situation. I meant only to illustrate the slope we find ourselves on. No matter how small the gift, someone can always find a cheaper way to do it. I can't see nitpicking at every. single. item. that crosses into my child's life always looking for the way to make it cost less, or to make that money be spent how I would have spent it. I also said that I have no idea how I would deal with that situation. I also wanted to put across that that is NOT the reality most people are dealing with today. The struggles are different.

I am truly sorry if I offended you, as that was so far from my intention.

Thank you so much for apologizing. It does mean a lot to me. :grouphug:

Again, many people on assistance are working. Usually long hours on at least one job, often more, and at wages that can't sustain a family.

When I was on food stamps, the office I had to go to (and this is in suburban Houston) was more than 30 miles away. They allowed a phone interview, but documentation, etc. had to be done by scanning, mail, fax.

Learning to cook from scratch was not something I had time to learn, let alone do once I learned it.

The assumption that recipients have copious amounts of non prodcutive time is erroneous.

I understand that. That is not everyone's situation. In a 2 parent home, oftentimes 1 of the parent's can leave a job and stay home with just a few cutbacks. Almost half of the wages of the second parent's job go to the cost of working. That's not always the case. No one case will fit everyone.

---------

Until Dh got a raise last month we qualified for food stamps. We are low-middle income. We did not apply, we re-arranged our budget and did without material possessions so we could buy food. This is not everyone's situation. I consider it my job to be frugal. I make items I could buy. We garden and I preserve the harvest. We raise chickens and have fresh eggs and chicken meat. We sell some of the eggs and give some away. We help people when we can by giving them food from our pantry or giving them our expertise. Dh continuously helps people with their computers and doesn't charge. I keep the finances for our church, when I did this for a living, it would have cost the church $300-$400 a month. We give of our time and resources to help others. If everyone did that we wouldn't need the government programs. People would try to better their positions in life so that they, too, could give back to others. People feel better if they have the sense that they've "earned" your charity, by whatever means they have to offer. I trade babysitting for Ds's upper level math. I feel like I get the better end of the deal because I can't afford the math class but I can certainly homeschool the teacher's 2 kids 1 day a week. She feels like she gets the better end of the deal because she has someone she can trust homeschool her kids for that day instead of them missing a day of school every week. We can all help each other; that's the way it should be and that's the way it was when our government was put into place.

First let me say, I am not affiliated with them in any way, except in so far as they have been a lifesaver some months.

Angel Food Ministries

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

- Provides highly discounted food/grocery packages.

- There is no income requirement.

- No strings attached.

- They take EBT. (or cash, or check, or credit)

- And they have distribution locations all over the U.S.

Just thought someone out there might benefit from this info.:D

I used my food stamps to pay for my Angel Food. :)

Also, out of curiousity, for those who want to see "junk food" banned from being purshcased with food stamps, how would you "react" (internally, as I doubt anyone here would actually *react* in a grocery store!) if you saw a person in line in front of you buy fruits and veg with FS and then go on to purchase cookies and pop with cash?

I can kind of see that thread starting like this:

Do you KNOW what I saw today?! Someone used food stamps to get food and then bought junk with cash! If they have the cash for junk, they have the cash for food!!!!

Just sayin'... (And my dd10 wears the *nicest* hand me downs EVER. I have a friend who has a friend who loves to shop for pricey cothing for her dd. When she outgrows it, my dd is the recipient, lucky girl! ;) But one could get confused if they saw her while I used my FS card. And we hardly receive any benefits, at all. Dh works LONG hours... )

You could bake it for @ $1 a loaf.

I feel the need to add that the post I replied to regarding the bread did not say to buy the ingredients for the bread and bake it yourself- she said that food stamps should be approved for healthy foods to include whole grain breads. Not the ingredients.

(Thanks for saying that...almost everyone here has me on IGNORE :lol:)

I wasnt ignoring... :lol: I wasnt talking about making the bread from scratch and neither was the poster I was replying too. But I think the recipe would be appreciated! I have been looking for a good, inexpensive bread recipe. Thanks! :001_smile:

Also, out of curiousity, for those who want to see "junk food" banned from being purshcased with food stamps, how would you "react" (internally, as I doubt anyone here would actually *react* in a grocery store!) if you saw a person in line in front of you buy fruits and veg with FS and then go on to purchase cookies and pop with cash?

Do you KNOW what I saw today?! Someone used food stamps to get food and then bought junk with cash! If they have the cash for junk, they have the cash for food!!!!

Just sayin'... (And my dd10 wears the *nicest* hand me downs EVER. I have a friend who has a friend who loves to shop for pricey cothing for her dd. When she outgrows it, my dd is the recipient, lucky girl! ;) But one could get confused if they saw her while I used my FS card. And we hardly receive any benefits, at all. Dh works LONG hours... )

:iagree: (and my kids get a lot of nice hand me downs also. Enough that I've had to pare down and pass clothes onto other families)

1 c. milk

1/4 c. molasses

1 tbsp. butter

1/2c. warm water, 105-115 degrees

4 c. sifted all purpose flour

2 tbsp. milk for glaze

1 1/2 c. cold water

2 tbsp. light brown sugar

1 tbsp. salt

2 pkgs. active dry yeast

5 c. unsifted whole wheat flour

Bring milk and cold water to a boil in a small saucepan. Off heat, mix in molasses, sugar, butter and salt; cool to lukewarm. Place lukewarm water in a warm large mixing bowl and sprinkle in yeast. Stir cooled mixture into yeast, then beat in all purpose flour, 1 cup at a time. mix in whole wheat flour, 1 cup at a time. Place dough in a buttered large bowl, cover with cloth and let rise about 1 hour in a warm draft free place until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down and stir briefly (it will be stiff). Divide dough in half and pat firmly into 2 well greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pans, rounding tops a little; brush tops with milk to glaze. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes until almost doubled in bulk. When loaves are risen, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake 20 minutes, reduce oven to 375 degrees and bake 45 to 50 minutes longer or until richly browned and hollow sounding when tapped. Turn loaves out immediately and cool on wire racks.

Any more problems I need to solve?

Thanks!!;)

I understand that. ---------

Until Dh got a raise last month we qualified for food stamps. We are low-middle income. We did not apply, we re-arranged our budget and did without material possessions so we could buy food. This is not everyone's situation. I consider it my job to be frugal. I make items I could buy. We garden and I preserve the harvest. We raise chickens and have fresh eggs and chicken meat. We sell some of the eggs and give some away. We help people when we can by giving them food from our pantry or giving them our expertise. Dh continuously helps people with their computers and doesn't charge. I keep the finances for our church, when I did this for a living, it would have cost the church $300-$400 a month. We give of our time and resources to help others. If everyone did that we wouldn't need the government programs. People would try to better their positions in life so that they, too, could give back to others. People feel better if they have the sense that they've "earned" your charity, by whatever means they have to offer. I trade babysitting for Ds's upper level math. I feel like I get the better end of the deal because I can't afford the math class but I can certainly homeschool the teacher's 2 kids 1 day a week. She feels like she gets the better end of the deal because she has someone she can trust homeschool her kids for that day instead of them missing a day of school every week. We can all help each other; that's the way it should be and that's the way it was when our government was put into place.

I am flabbergasted at this post. I could list the activities I (and my DH) participated in while on assistance, but I won't.

What I will share is that my perspective on living responsibly, people "in the system", people "in need", and their lifestyles changed radically in the last 5 years. I no longer assume that my choices are rare, superior, or that others make lesser choices.

I wasnt ignoring... :lol: I wasnt talking about making the bread from scratch and neither was the poster I was replying too. But I think the recipe would be appreciated! I have been looking for a good, inexpensive bread recipe. Thanks! :001_smile:

Here is mine if you are interested:

6 cups warm water

1 cup olive oil (can use butter or regular veg oil)

1 cup honey (can use sugar instead and can use less of either)

3 tbsp yeast

1tbsp salt

1/4 cup wheat gluten

@15 cups whole wheat flour (I grind my own but you can use store bought)

Mix all the ingredients and half the flour. Then knead in the rest of the flour, a little at a time, until a soft dough. Cover and let rise until double. Punch down, shape into loaves and put into 4 loaf pans. Cover and let rise @ 45 min and bake for 30 min at 350. Brush with butter when warm ( not necessary but sooo good lol)

I have a bosch but used a KA for years. This could also be done by hand.

Here is mine if you are interested:

6 cups warm water

1 cup olive oil (can use butter or regular veg oil)

1 cup honey (can use sugar instead and can use less of either)

3 tbsp yeast

1tbsp salt

1/4 cup wheat gluten

@15 cups whole wheat flour (I grind my own but you can use store bought)

Mix all the ingredients and half the flour. Then knead in the rest of the flour, a little at a time, until a soft dough. Cover and let rise until double. Punch down, shape into loaves and put into 4 loaf pans. Cover and let rise @ 45 min and bake for 30 min at 350. Brush with butter when warm ( not necessary but sooo good lol

I have a bosch but used a KA for years. This could also be done by hand.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I am flabbergasted at this post. I could list the activities I (and my DH) participated in while on assistance, but I won't.

What I will share is that my perspective on living responsibly, people "in the system", people "in need", and their lifestyles changed radically in the last 5 years. I no longer assume that my choices are rare, superior, or that others make lesser choices.

Joanne, I'm truly sorry. I didn't say my choices are superior. I just think that what I described would help people more than the current system.

Please accept my apologies, I didn't mean to make you feel less than. I don't even want to make the abusers of the system feel less than.

BTW, I don't think any of us were saying that any kid "deserves" anything. In my case, I'm saying that I'm not going to dictate what a grandparent gifts. I'm also not going to intentionally offend the grandparents by selling something they gave my children. Yes, if we were destitute, the grandparents would help out, but we have worked our butts off to pay our own bills. They've helped in the past when we were younger. But having bills or being part of the working poor does not mean that my children are not permitted to be gifted nice things...particularly if it's a rare thing. Yes, I understand the pp's frustration with needing help and then being showered with only frivolous things. That would be an issue. But at the same time, I would not be unkind to the gifter.

BTW, I don't think any of us were saying that any kid "deserves" anything. In my case, I'm saying that I'm not going to dictate what a grandparent gifts. I'm also not going to intentionally offend the grandparents by selling something they gave my children. Yes, if we were destitute, the grandparents would help out, but we have worked our butts off to pay our own bills. They've helped in the past when we were younger. But having bills or being part of the working poor does not mean that my children are not permitted to be gifted nice things...particularly if it's a rare thing. Yes, I understand the pp's frustration with needing help and then being showered with only frivolous things. That would be an issue. But at the same time, I would not be unkind to the gifter.

And you said in one post what I couldn't effectively communicate in several.

I'm having a hard time seeing this whole things in terms of dignity. There is nothing undignified about needing help or accepting help. There is also nothing inherently undignifying about attaching stipulations to help that is given. The same is true of just about anything else people choose to avail themselves of: jobs have stipulations, parks and libraries have stipulations, schools have stipulations, auto registrations (in our state) have stipulations that you need to have insurance in order to be registered ... anyone is free to find an alternative if they don't like the choices offered.

I completely agree that people on foodstamps generally contribute tax dollars as well; it's not the wealthier, better-educated, superior "we" who give to the poor, dumb, lesser-than "them"; it's everyone collectively pitching in to help those who find themselves in need. I know plenty of people on food stamps who feed their families well. I know plenty of people who don't get food stamps who feed their families crap. So be it. However, if we are going to use our tax dollars to provide food to people, I think we should demand that the recipients receive high-quality food--not because I am the nutrition police but because I think people deserve it, and I stand by my earlier statement that if food stamps were limited to healthier options, food providers in areas that serve a high proportion of food-stamp recipients would adjust their stock accordingly.

Tara

And not everyone is able to do everything listed. Many cities don't permit livestock. Many city yards aren't big enough for a garden or able to sustain a garden (one house we are looking at has a neighbours oak tree hanging over...it has destroyed all grass in the yard with it's acid). I used to have a couple of home businesses, but I no longer have the time...I can only be stretched so far and my children's education comes first (eventually I hope to have my own business again).

Yes, each situation is different and we cannot judge others by what WE have done or can do.

I'm having a hard time seeing this whole things in terms of dignity.

There is also nothing inherently undignifying about attaching stipulations to help that is given. Tara

If you'd like the answer, it lies in stripping the recipient of her (or his) ability to make autonomous, adult choices for their family. Imposing (debatable, arbitrary, and inconistent) restrictions on families that qualify patronizes them.

I know there is often concern about misuse of tax dollars. Why do we seem to have such a hard time with a person on food stamps buying something we wouldn't spend money purchasing? Is it because it is in front of our face at the supermarket?

In reality the amount spent helping the poor is nothing compared to the amount our governement spends helping the rich. Why don't we get into a tizzy about that?

So, should the commissary remove all unhealthy foods from their shelves and stop subsidizing those items for us? When we lived in Hawaii I shopped almost exclusively at the commissary because it cost about half of what it would at a local store. Should they only do that for healthy items?

The commissary isn't goverment aid. It's not even comparable to the food stamps. I seldomed shopped at the commissary stateside because it cost more than Walmart or Food Lion. I use it now because we are overseas but even than I rather go out in town for the fresh veggies/fruits.

I completely agree that people on foodstamps generally contribute tax dollars as well; it's not the wealthier, better-educated, superior "we" who give to the poor, dumb, lesser-than "them"; it's everyone collectively pitching in to help those who find themselves in need. I know plenty of people on food stamps who feed their families well. I know plenty of people who don't get food stamps who feed their families crap. So be it. However, if we are going to use our tax dollars to provide food to people, I think we should demand that the recipients receive high-quality food--not because I am the nutrition police but because I think people deserve it, and I stand by my earlier statement that if food stamps were limited to healthier options, food providers in areas that serve a high proportion of food-stamp recipients would adjust their stock accordingly.

Tara

My issue with this is who decides what is healthy? Vegetarians? Vegans? People who swear that eliminating dairy is healthiest? People who think grains are poison? Are hot dogs Ok? What about all - beef, no nitrate/no nitrite hot dogs? White bread? Juice? Go - gurt? Cheese crackers? Saltines? Ritz crackers? Goldfish crackers? Pretzels? Bacon? Red meat?

And while it is admirable to want to "teach" food stamp recipients how to eat healthy, it is also the epitomy of flat out insulting. You are poor, let me dictate what is Ok for you to eat. I am rich and will eat whatever garbage I deem Ok. But I am using "my own money" and you are using "my tax dollars," not the tax dollars you pay or paid in already.

It is a very slippery slope. Right now, health insurance is based on the whole. Well, I don't want *anyone* filling their bodies with garbage, drinking, and smoking, and costing me more money through premiums and higher health care costs, so let's just educate everyone on healthy habits.

Wait, let's make junk food and cigarettes illegal. They are killing us (as a nation) and costing us *all* a fortune. Oh, no, that won't work. What with the lobbies and subsidies and all... :glare:

It is SUCH a huge problem and it is attempting to put a band aid on a gaping wound. End subsidies. Make cigarettes illegal. But that infringes on "free choice." We live in a free country where we are allowed to make the very worst decisions about our lives.

The cheapest foods (and the sales and the coupons) are SO often on garbage food. It is *awful.* But the corn subsidies ensure that gravy train keeps right on chugging along.

Taking junk off of food stamps does nothing. It doesn't make anyone healthier. It is a way to make "TPTB" show that they are being proactive on public health. Hogwash. :glare:

I'd much rather see (and maybe even complain about) this than seeing a toddler running around with a baby bottle half full of Coke.

I'm having a hard time seeing this whole things in terms of dignity. There is nothing undignified about needing help or accepting help. There is also nothing inherently undignifying about attaching stipulations to help that is given. The same is true of just about anything else people choose to avail themselves of: jobs have stipulations, parks and libraries have stipulations, schools have stipulations, auto registrations (in our state) have stipulations that you need to have insurance in order to be registered ... anyone is free to find an alternative if they don't like the choices offered.

Tara

:iagree: I wish all food providers would adjust their stock to higher quality foods no matter the recipient.

Yes, each situation is different and we cannot judge others by what WE have done or can do.

Exactly!

My issue with this is who decides what is healthy? Vegetarians? Vegans? People who swear that eliminating dairy is healthiest? People who think grains are poison? Are hot dogs Ok? What about all - beef, no nitrate/no nitrite hot dogs? White bread? Juice? Go - gurt? Cheese crackers? Saltines? Ritz crackers? Goldfish crackers? Pretzels? Bacon? Red meat?

And while it is admirable to want to "teach" food stamp recipients how to eat healthy, it is also the epitomy of flat out insulting. You are poor, let me dictate what is Ok for you to eat. I am rich and will eat whatever garbage I deem Ok. But I am using "my own money" and you are using "my tax dollars," not the tax dollars you pay or paid in already.

:iagree:

Do we want other people making decisions for us about what food our family should or shouldn't be able to eat, should we fall on hard times?

I also think it's insulting to assume that poor people don't know how to eat okay. I mean, if a family was using all of their food stamp money on soda and chips, yes, that would indicate a problem. But I really don't think that a family buying a bottle of soda along with a bunch of nutrient-rich foods signals either that they are too stupid to know how to eat right or that they are doing damage to their children, or should be something that concerns any of us.

Should my employer get to decide how I spend my income? After all, it's *their* money. What about my students? Their tuition pays for my income. Should they get to say what I can or can't spend it on? The whole "it's not really their money thing" just rubs me the wrong way.

How about we get outraged over the increase in the number of people receiving food stamps, because the jobs being created right now pay so poorly that you can't support a family on them? That seems like it would be far more productive than getting angry because somebody dares to buy a bottle of soda using "your" tax dollars.

Chucki, I am confused. :confused: What does a baby with a bottle full of coke have to do with anything? Do only welfare/food stamp recipients give babies bottles of cr*p to drink? Not IME. There are a lot of things I would rather see dicussed, like how to help people, how to improve the quality of life for seniors without families, how to end child abuse... Honestly, not being snarky, I don't get what your point is...

Chucki, I am confused. :confused: What does a baby with a bottle full of coke have to do with anything? Do only welfare/food stamp recipients give babies bottles of cr*p to drink? Not IME. There are a lot of things I would rather see dicussed, like how to help people, how to improve the quality of life for seniors without families, how to end child abuse... Honestly, not being snarky, I don't get what your point is...

Here's a thread on how to help. It IS being discussed. You are welcome to start threads regarding the other topics you wish to see discussed. If this thread isn't your cup of tea then ignore it. I'm truly not being snarky either.

Isn't this entire thread about not buying soda with foodstamps?

I'm saying I'd much rather see people buying whole healthy foods for their families with food stamps than buying Coke for their families.

Here's a thread on how to help. It IS being discussed. You are welcome to start threads regarding the other topics you wish to see discussed. If this thread isn't your cup of tea then ignore it. I'm truly not being snarky either.

:confused: I said in my post that I thought how a thread would go, Chucki replied she would rather XYZ be discussed, I asked for clarity b/c if we are talking about what we would rather discuss, I have a whole list.

Your reply makes no sense.

:confused: I said in my post that I thought how a thread would go, Chucki replied she would rather XYZ be discussed, I asked for clarity b/c if we are talking about what we would rather discuss, I have a whole list.

Your reply makes no sense.

She was talking about FS recipients filling baby bottles with Coke. Did you not understand that? She didn't say she'd rather discuss something not involved with this thread. You did.

She was talking about FS recipients filling baby bottles with Coke. Did you not understand that? She didn't say she'd rather discuss something not involved with this thread. You did.

I addressed that. :confused: Plenty of people who AREN'T on FS give their babies cr*p in bottles. I said that. She implied that only the "poor" do that. Wrong. Many do.

Please read my whole post, each one pertaining to this.

I addressed that. :confused: Plenty of people who AREN'T on FS give their babies cr*p in bottles. I said that. She implied that only the "poor" do that. Wrong. Many do.

Please read my whole post, each one pertaining to this.

No, I didn't imply that poor people are the only ones giving babies/toddlers soda.

Again, the thread is about food stamp recipients being able to buy soda.

You are right, Chucki. You said you would rather discuss what people buy rather than discuss babies with coke in their bottles.

But no one ever said anything about any baby, much less a fs baby, with coke in its bottle. It was confusing and to me, insulting, as if only poor people make poor food choices.

No, I didn't imply that poor people are the only ones giving babies/toddlers soda.

Again, the thread is about food stamp recipients being able to buy soda.

Yeah, so why the reference to babies with coke in their bottles????

Okay, I'll say this time I'll say it slowly.

From a few posts back. I'll quote myself. Then I have to go to to a class.

Isn't this entire thread about not buying soda with foodstamps?

I'm saying I'd much rather see people buying whole healthy foods for their families with food stamps than buying Coke for their families.

Which was what was referred to in the post I quoted about the babies drinking coke from a bottle. Did you read that entire post earlier?

ETA: This as a refresher:

:

Originally Posted by cindergretta viewpost.gif

I'd much rather see (and maybe even complain about) this than seeing a toddler running around with a baby bottle half full of Coke.

Okay, I found GB and SC in kilts, but how do I post the pics? We need some tension release here!

Alright, I think I got it!

:chillpill: and enjoy!

search%3Fq%3Dsean%2Bconnery%2Bkilt%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=sean+connery+kilt&usg=__z_RbesxX33y0trxSZNuHinmR0DU=&sa=X&ei=AhXoTdC7OYG4sAOE4InbDQ&ved=0CCMQ9QEwAw&dur=1438

post-1654-13535084956322_thumb.jpg

post-1654-13535084956492_thumb.jpg

post-1654-13535084956322_thumb.jpg

post-1654-13535084956492_thumb.jpg

Yes, also speaking slowly. :glare: I read that AFTER your post about babies with coke in their bottles.

Very slowly now...

Why the reference to babies with coke in their bottles? What did that have to do with anything, except to "imply" that poor people on fs put coke in their babies bottles?

Yes, also speaking slowly. :glare: I read that AFTER your post about babies with coke in their bottles.

Very slowly now...

Why the reference to babies with coke in their bottles? What did that have to do with anything, except to "imply" that poor people on fs put coke in their babies bottles?

Oh, for the love of all that is holy! I'll never convince you that I was NOT being derogatory to poor people so I'm done trying to convince you otherwise.

Oh for the love of lipstick!!! :glare:

I didn't understand. I said I didn't understand. You have never said anything other than I am not reading what you wrote correctly. You have offered *no* clarification.

You don't need to clarify or explain. That is your right. It read very insulting to me so I asked for clarification since I didn't think you were trying to be. Now, I am not so sure!

to foodstamp recipients. 47% of working Americans pay no federal income taxes. They pay FICA (social security/medicare/workers comp) but not federal taxes. Food stamp funding comes from federal funding. A family of four making less than about $50,000 annually pays no federal income tax.

Also my hubby's dime, who's working full-time and paying taxes to support it, and my own dime for years of taxpaying up until August of last year. I'm quite fine paying taxes to help out others, and to now be helped out by it for a while until hubby finishes his degree. If they chose to regulate those, so be it, but if they give me X amount for food stamps and I feed my family well and have enough left for some ice cream, I don't see that as a problem.

Here, this was helpful. You two seem to be in agreement. She and I aren't. Yet she read it the way I did but I didn't think that was actually what you meant!!!!!!

to foodstamp recipients. 47% of working Americans pay no federal income taxes. They pay FICA (social security/medicare/workers comp) but not federal taxes. Food stamp funding comes from federal funding. A family of four making less than about $50,000 annually pays no federal income tax.

People in the lowest income stanine pay a bigger percentage of their income in federal taxes (not income taxes, but other federal taxes) than those in the highest. I am at tennis, but if you do an advanced search under my name with the word stanine you are sure to find a reference or two.

I have no problem limiting what people can buy with food stamps. I'm pretty liberal, but no one is forced to use food stamps, so if you choose to use them (which is totally cool with me and I am fine with my tax dollars being used to support the food stamp program) you agree to the limitations. WIC has a ton of restrictions on what you can buy, and no one gets all up in arms about that. (Well, except for my friend who was vegan and had a degree in nutrition and was told by her WIC office that she wasn't buying enough milk, so her kids weren't getting enough calcium, and when she talked to them about leafy greens, tofu, and almonds, they acted like she had three heads and lectured her about appropriate food choices.)

I would be fine with limiting food stamps to actual food and not junk masquerading as food. Won't happen though, as the junk food lobby is too powerful.

Tara

Choose to use food stamps? Huh? Like someone just goes "Gee, I think I'd like to use food stamps"? Have you ever been on FS?

Most people who are on FS are on it because the other "choice" is not eating often enough.

And what's up with thinking if you are on FS you don't have the right to be human and have ice cream every now and again? Also, what about birthday parties? That is one of the few times my kids get to have junk. And you are buying for more than just a few, making it costly. So I should just explain to the kids that they get bran muffins and 100% juice because you folks would like them to eat healthier? Lovely. (And I am not actually on FS-but I have been.)

I agree with the idiocy of WIC. I have peanut, dairy and wheat allergies. And try to limit animal products in our diet. I got the same lectures.

I totally agree on principle, but can we consider things like b-days and halloween? Maybe a monthly quota on such items? Like extra for Halloween and Easter and Christmas, less for most months? I dunno-just trying to inject a little perspective here.

Lakota

I know there is often concern about misuse of tax dollars. Why do we seem to have such a hard time with a person on food stamps buying something we wouldn't spend money purchasing? Is it because it is in front of our face at the supermarket?

In reality the amount spent helping the poor is nothing compared to the amount our governement spends helping the rich. Why don't we get into a tizzy about that?

:iagree::iagree::iagree::D

There are a lot of things food stamps should not be allowed for and this is one of them. Food stamps should be used for FOOD! Soda is not a food!

I wasn't able to read every response, but a lot of the points brought up have to do with the increased commercialization of food and our changing food culture.

I grew up without soda (except for special occasions) and just about all junk food. Not only could my family not afford it, but also there wasn't the sense that people needed or deserved it. Snacking wasn't prevalent. You ate your meals, and that was it. We didn't snack regularly, and if we did, we made a sandwhich or grabbed a piece of fruit. A treat was the occassional ice cream, not something that was regularly stocked in the pantry or experienced daily. I came of age in the 80s, too by the way. Not during the Great Depression. :)

My husband and I also did without while putting ourselves through college. We lived in a "bad" part of the city, and spent less on food than what food stamp allotments would have been. We were able to make good choices at our ghetto grocery store.:D The difference was not money, but education and the willingness to sacrifice.

I don't think it's too difficult to draw food boundaries without getting into reductive arguments or shrill "rights" stances. When my church (not a goverment entity, obviously) supports meals for various ministries, it doesn't call for soda and Doritos to supplement diets. It asks for spaghetti and sauce, canned tuna, salad dressing, canned fruits and vegetables, peanut butter, applesauce cups, Cheerios, oatmeal, 100% juice, and granola bars. Those are all reasonable food items that don't seem to violate the givers (even the vegans) or the dignity of the recipients.

If you'd like the answer, it lies in stripping the recipient of her (or his) ability to make autonomous, adult choices for their family. Imposing (debatable, arbitrary, and inconistent) restrictions on families that qualify patronizes them.

I'm not trying to be insensitive or deliberately obtuse. I simply disagree. I was a social worker for many years, and I heard this argument many times. I just disagree with it. Alcohol is a beverage. It cannot be purchased with food stamps. If they can arbitrarily exclude alcohol, why not soda? Is it patronizing to say that someone cannot use food stamps for alcohol? I don't think it is.

No one forces people to accept food stamps or dictates what people can eat. Restricting what food stamps can be spent on is not the same as telling people what they can and can't eat.

I hope that is not what you got from my post, because I specifically pointed out that I don't view food stamp recipients as dumb or people who don't contribute tax dollars.

Taking junk off of food stamps does nothing.

I don't believe that. I honestly believe that stores that serve large proportions of food stamp recipients would improve their offerings if food stamps could only be spent on certain items. And as I live in a city that definitely suffers from the "convenience store grocery" problem, I think it would be a good step toward helping people have access to the food they want, not the food they are limited to by corporations and their bottom lines.

I guess it's a case of agree to disagree.

Should my employer get to decide how I spend my income? After all, it's *their* money.

No, it's not. People agree to trade labor for wages. The employer gets the labor, and the employee gets the wages. The wages do NOT belong to the employer.

Tara