Menu

No Soda Bought With Food Stamps?

check out the food at your local gas station next time you are there. Often that is their options.

congrats on denying hot dogs. You just denied a lot of kids protien.

It is not the government's job (or anyone else's) to make sure someone lives close enough to the grocery store.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you have to keep going back to the same old song and dance -

FS recipients are using *my* money. *I* am using *my* money. I should have a say in what they buy as well as what I buy.

That is why it is so insulting. And for the record (and 100th time) WE receive FS and we pay federal taxes. So, I am using MY money, too!!

Recipients ARE using my money, as well as many other people's money. We SHOULD have a say in what they buy. Not having a say is what has gotten us into this ridiculous discussion of pop and food stamps.

Anyone who receives assistance knows there are (should be) strings attached. Do what you want to with your own money.

It is discrimination to insist that disabled and poor people only eat staples, when more affluent and healthier people can choose their own food for better or worse.

The best thing for everyone is to just let people pick their own food and to keep their noses in their own grocery carts.

No, it is not discrimination. Your money, your choices.

I would love for everyone to pick and pay for their own food. Excellent idea!

But when discussing underprivileged people you also have to consider whether or not they have a car

I have never seen a convenience store that offers fresh vegetables and meat. Some here have fruit, but it is pricier than a grocery store would be

Whether someone has a car is something for them to worry about, not the tax payer.

I would like to think that recipients of social programs paid for out of my taxes at least appreciate the program.

I'd like to think that the general public had an accurate, gracious, but for the grace-of-the-universe-go-I approach to those in need of assistance.

Fail.

Ok, two things are in your statement - healthy eating AND temporary program. One has nothing to do with the other. People can eat an extremely healthy diet and be on the program for ever. People can eat extremely poorly and get off the program quickly.

If the aim is about eating healthy, why are elderly and disabled exempt? Don't they need healthy diets?

If it is supposed to be temporary, obviously elderly and disabled are exempt as they aren't going to get younger and most disabled on FS are on for life long issues, not a temporary disability.

Now, for the healthy part - who decides what is healthy? The same gov't that decided ketchup could be considered a vegetable in a well balanced school lunch? How do we make criteria that meets the needs of the recipients considering their access to whatever food and considers their cultural specifics? (I ask because WIC went through changes that added things like rice and tortillas to meet the needs of more cultural diets.)

Food stamps are federal. What works in Seattle isn't very likely to work in New Orleans. What works in St. Jo, Missouri probably isn't what is needed in Lutherville, MD. So how are all these things rectified?

Keeping in mind that more classes, more regulation, more restrictions cost more money, more tax dollars. So (totally random made up numbers here ;) ) now it takes $2 tax dollars to get $1 FS dollar into the hands of a recipient.

Now if we wanted to make FS locally handled by state gov'ts, that is change I can get behind. Then the amounts can be tailored to the actual COL in a given city. Then we can have some basic regs based on foods and transportation in a given area.

But as long as it is federally run, it is too much to put on one system. Our country is vast, our people diverse. One size does NOT fit all unless it is a loose fit. Right now, FS are a loose fit.

(Did you see where my state made yogurt covered raisins candy but Red Vines weren't??? :svengo: These are not people I want telling anyone what is healthy!!!! :willy_nilly: )

These issues are exactly why the federal government should not be involved in providing food stamps.

:confused: Yikes, I hate to say it, but your system is going to cost one whack of money! The oversight to run such a convoluted system would surely stifle it. :001_huh:

So, let's continue to waste as much money as possible with the current system.

This has been addressed over and over ad nauseum in this thread - it is NOT an abuse if it is legal. Right now it is legal and therefore, not an abuse.

My nostrils would flare if someone were paying that close of attention to what I was buying and how I paid for it!

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

That's the problem I have. I have great ideas to make something better but it costs twice as much! :glare: I truly want to help people. I'm really not a bad person. :crying:

Cheryl, you're not a bad person. You have common sense and that must offend some people. Not me!

Ok, I have to ask- what's with the tag on this post? :tongue_smilie:

Google is your friend. For us old-timers, it denotes the boxing method of Cassius Clay. He himself said he floated like a butterfly and stung like a wasp. Others noted that he "took" a lot of harrying until the other one was spent, and then went in. He was a fair fighter, but a fighter.

There are a disproportionate amount of boxing terms that have entered our lexicon. I have never had the least interest in boxing, but I am interested in phrase origins, and it appears that boxing was really REALLY big in times past.

Google is your friend. For us old-timers, it denotes the boxing method of Cassius Clay. He himself said he floated like a butterfly and stung like a wasp. Others noted that he "took" a lot of harrying until the other one was spent, and then went in. He was a fair fighter, but a fighter.

There are a disproportionate amount of boxing terms that have entered our lexicon. I have never had the least interest in boxing, but I am interested in phrase origins, and it appears that boxing was really REALLY big in times past.

How interesting. I would have never guessed that was a boxing term.

How interesting. I would have never guessed that was a boxing term.

I am wondering, too.

I know what a rope-a-dope is (I am embarrassed to say I like boxing. :blush: I used to watch it with my dad) but I don't see that as Mrs. Mungo's style at all. :confused: I'd say she is more of an inside-fighter. :D

ETA: Or a swarmer. Certainly not peek-a-boo. :lol:

Wiki boxing styles

I answered upthread what rope-a-dope means but I disagree that it is Mrs. Mungo's style.

I answered upthread what rope-a-dope means but I disagree that it is Mrs. Mungo's style.

Ah,yes, missed that. I would agree with your assessment. Perhaps we could get Mike's Hard Lemonade to sponsor her bouts. A cool refreshing beverage waiting at the end of each round.

Oh, look! Hive colors too!

hard_lemonade.jpg

Edited by elegantlion

Please read the thread before jumping on your high horse. This was discussed already and was shot down quickly. QUOTE]

This was a pretty darned rude comment directed at someone who gave a personal and very meaningful life story about something you are unaware of (by your own admission.....lack of access and such).

You may or may not take my opinion as such, but you have come across as insulting and "superior" but then claim not to.

The last thread like this I participated in got deleted so I am a bit leary here, but I thought I would just mention this, in case it does any good at all.

Food stamps are federal. What works in Seattle isn't very likely to work in New Orleans. What works in St. Jo, Missouri probably isn't what is needed in Lutherville, MD. So how are all these things rectified?

(snip)

Now if we wanted to make FS locally handled by state gov'ts, that is change I can get behind. Then the amounts can be tailored to the actual COL in a given city. Then we can have some basic regs based on foods and transportation in a given area.

But as long as it is federally run, it is too much to put on one system. Our country is vast, our people diverse. One size does NOT fit all unless it is a loose fit. Right now, FS are a loose fit.

(Did you see where my state made yogurt covered raisins candy but Red Vines weren't??? :svengo: These are not people I want telling anyone what is healthy!!!! :willy_nilly: )

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is the biggest problem with fed. programs PERIOD. What works in a state the size of Maine, will not work in a state the size of TX. A state with the pop. of Wyoming has different needs than the state of NY. One size fits all solutions rarely work for anyone well.

Ah,yes, missed that. I would agree with your assessment. Perhaps we could Mike's Hard Lemonade to sponsor her bouts. A cool refreshing beverage waiting at the end of each round.

Oh, look! Hive colors too!

hard_lemonade.jpg

I :001_wub: you! :lol:

That tag has been on other threads before ( and I disagreed with it then , I think!) and I'd love to know why the tagger thinks that way.

Edited by unsinkable

This thread got crazy. I think I knew it would that is why I just stopped posting. But here goes, I have been broke for years now since my boy got sick. I cannot believe all the posts on here about taking kids gifts back, selling them etc. WOW. My parents knew I was in a bad place, they knew their college kid didn't do anything to get here and have always been happy to buy my kids things.

Last year they built their dream house and I got the hand me down house. Maybe I should have said no mom sell the house and buy my groceries. In a few months or whatever when the money was gone I would still be in government housing though so I don't see that point. And for the record here if you ever see my kids they wear all name brands. It is called yard sales and second hand stores.

It is also called knowing how to shop on clearance. I get their clothes probally much cheaper than those who are buying in season at Wally World. I have a nice van. I got it when my elderly grandma died two years ago. Maybe I should have sold it to buy groceries and bills? Of course when that money ran out we would still be hungry riding the bus.

People have posted that families shouldn't be giving gifts they should be helping with bills and food, well not to be rude aren't the majority of those gifts helping? I was always taught to take a gift and be thankful not rude or expect a certain thing. Oh and for all the people out there on assistance who have family members with money to throw away can you put in a good word for me, my kids would love a Wii. :D

I can't believe the posts I have read on this board over this. It is shameful. I also think it is shamful that any parent would punish a child by taking their personal belongings to pay a bill instead of swallowing their pride to ask for help. Our children did not ask to be here. They will live in the hard cold world soon enough why punish childhood?

I had to get rid of the kids dog when things started going bad before I finally asked for help. My kids have never forgiven that. It has been 6 years and they still will talk about Sebastian. My oldest now 14 will still say she would have shared her food to keep the dog. Telling them I had money problems only scared them cause if mommy can't feed our dog and he had to go live somewhere else, what will mommy do with us?

I also know deep down she knows that it is because her brother got sick. So his illness greatly changed our life. At 14 she will tell you that she probally won't have kids she will adopt cause that way you know what you get. :confused: Horrible for a child to live scared.

Cheryl, I don't think you are a bad person :-) When I was younger I had experienced some things that were CLOSE to what I saw others experiencing and it led me to form some incorrect assumptions about their experiences.

I was awfully judgmental and improperly informed. And also I had been raised in situations where no one thought that all people had the right to be treated with dignity and that all people are born with certain intrinsic rights just because they are human.

Even though I wasn't born in the USA, I received most of my education here and really didn't have a lot of contact outside of the groups that were abusive to me. I didn't know there was a whole big world with people with entirely different ideas, and was taught to fear and mock those people when I did have any tiny contact with them.

You are NOT bad! I just think you haven't had enough experiences with people and situations that would cause you to think differently if you had.

-

Cdrumm, I'm not sure where you are coming from. I'm assuming you froth at the idea of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and don't agree with any human rights that the USA had declared for their disabled citizens. Money was gold, and then it was just paper, and now it is electronic blips. Is money really the great divider on who is good or bad and worthy or unworthy?

-

Food stamps are not temporary for many people and they are not meant to ONLY ensure survival. The assistance systems in this country are very, very flawed, but food stamps is the last place we want to START reforms! Proper access to a variety of food keeps many people from using more costly programs, medical and mental. The reforms need to be started in other areas. Food is a big thing in people's lives. It is more than energy and vitamins. It is cultural and a self-soother and so many, many things. Don't most of you add in recipes to your unit studies? The psychological reaction of the brain to certain foods, and even to food in general is a fascinating study. Our government is making a financially wise choice to not dismantle the food stamp program, even though it is one of the most VISIBLE places of the flawed SYSTEM.

Edited by Hunter

I have read *most* of this thread. (I will admit to a great deal of skimming over some of the more eye-gauging repeats of "Yeah-huh", "No way", and the rehashing of the ways in which one poster has offended another.)

I have also been following another thread the past few days where a board member has shared how her family has become financially trapped by a government program designed to help. I see the dilemma of that poster and the overall condition of the FS program as being very closely related.

We have a tendency in our country to say, "Let's help!", and then to create a program with so many rules and regulations that you not only need a small army of bureaucrats to oversee it and a gang of lawyers to understand it, but you wind up with many people actually being harmed in some way by the very same program that was intended to provide help.

What would happen if we had a simple, straightforward assistance program that did not require those who used it to perform varying degrees of acrobatics just to placate our fear of being scammed? People who are dishonest will always behave dishonestly. I would hope that none of us are so naive as to think if we just create the right guidelines that there will be no abuse of a system/program.

Here is my pre-tax, adjusted for inflation, two cents:

*I would rather have a few scammers in the system than create a system that denies aid to those in need.

*I would rather see a system that builds people up and equips them to prosper than a system where just trying to navigate and break free of the system becomes a demoralizing loop.

*I would rather clench my fist and rail against the wind over the most egregious government waste than to treat the recipients of FS as if *they* are the reason we as a nation are in this financial shape.

*I would rather see the federal government stick to what they can be effective with, (like foreign policy, national defense, providing infrastructure, etc.), than trying to tell me or ANY of my fellow citizens how to eat.

Edited by BLA5

Food stamps are not temporary for many people and they are not meant to ONLY ensure survival. The assistance systems in this country are very, very flawed, but food stamps is the last place we want to START reforms! Proper access to a variety of food keeps many people from using more costly programs, medical and mental. The reforms need to be started in other areas. Food is a big thing in people's lives. It is more than energy and vitamins. It is cultural and a self-soother and so many, many things. Don't most of you add in recipes to your unit studies? The psychological reaction of the brain to certain foods, and even to food in general is a fascinating study. Our government is making a financially wise choice to not dismantle the food stamp program, even though it is one of the most VISIBLE places of the flawed SYSTEM.

I was also thinking of this. We use food for alot of things. Teaching math skills, THAT IS A BIG ONE, colors shapes, odor as well as geography. My son learned to measure with gummi worms lol. Could he have learned with a ruler well yeah. But he will remember learning to measure those worms because of all the senses he used in doing that activity. Let's not mention the joy of eating your schoolwork.

They also remember eating certain treats according to continents. Would they remember without them, maybe. The memories would not be as clear or fun though.

It is not the government's job (or anyone else's) to make sure someone lives close enough to the grocery store.

Incorrect. That is something to be considered when deciding whether or not something qualifies for FS.

Whether someone has a car is something for them to worry about, not the tax payer.

Incorrect. That is also something that has to be considered when deciding whether or not something qualifies for FS.

I do not think the government should do things arbitrarily. That would not be effecient.

Edited by Sis

Amazing post HUNTER, breathtaking. Thank you!

CLARKACADAMY: I commend you for telling your story. I am certain it will have as powerful of an affect on many others as it did on me. Thank you.

Thank you. I am so glad others can see points of view in this thing. Many things can happen to make people be in financial trouble not all of us woke up one day and said I don't wanna work anymore.

Cdrumm, I'm not sure where you are coming from. I'm assuming you froth at the idea of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and don't agree with any human rights that the USA had declared for their disabled citizens. Money was gold, and then it was just paper, and now it is electronic blips. Is money really the great divider on who is good or bad and worthy or unworthy?

I don't froth at the mouth over anything. I have never said or implied that money is the great divider on who is good or bad, and worthy or unworthy.

My opinions are mine. You are entitled to yours.

I have read *most* of this thread. (I will admit to a great deal of skimming over some of the more eye-gauging repeats of "Yeah-huh", "No way", and the rehashing of the ways in which one poster has offended another.)

I have also been following another thread the past few days where a board member has shared how her family has become financially trapped by a government program designed to help. I see the dilemma of that poster and the overall condition of the FS program as being very closely related.

We have a tendency in our country to say, "Let's help!", and then to create a program with so many rules and regulations that you not only need a small army of bureaucrats to oversee it and a gang of lawyers to understand it, but you wind up with many people actually being harmed in some way by the very same program that was intended to provide help.

What would happen if we had a simple, straightforward assistance program that did not require those who used it to perform varying degrees of acrobatics just to placate our fear of being scammed? People who are dishonest will always behave dishonestly. I would hope that none of us are so naive as to think if we just create the right guidelines that there will be no abuse of a system/program.

Here is my pre-tax, adjusted for inflation, two cents:

*I would rather have a few scammers in the system than create a system that denies aid to those in need.

*I would rather see a system that builds people up and equips them to prosper than a system where just trying to navigate and break free of the system becomes a demoralizing loop.

*I would rather clench my fist and rail against the wind over the most egregious government waste than to treat the recipients of FS as if *they* are the reason we as a nation are in this financial shape.

*I would rather see the federal government stick to what they can be effective with, (like foreign policy, national defense, providing infrastructure, etc.), than trying to tell me or ANY of my fellow citizens how to eat.

Personal giving fixes most of these problems. Unfortunately, the government systems in place have eliminated (for many people) the urge to personally help.

Incorrect. That is something to be considered when deciding whether or not something qualifies for FS.

Incorrect. That is also something that has to be considered when deciding whether or not something qualifies for FS.

I do not think the government should do things arbitrarily. That would not be effecient.

Whether the government currently considers it to be their job was not my point. It shouldn't be the government's job to micromanage people's lives. I am certain most people can decide if they can make it to the closest grocery store.

Whether the government currently considers it to be their job was not my point. It shouldn't be the government's job to micromanage people's lives. I am certain most people can decide if they can make it to the closest grocery store.

And it should be up to those people to make that determination. Not you.

The government isn't micromanaging. You are. You are the one that wants to monitor what is in every grocery cart. The government does NOT want to do that.

And it should be up to those people to make that determination. Not you.

The government isn't microanaging. You are. You are the one that wants to monitor what is in every grocery cart.

Actually, no. I would rather have a more limited FS program. Actually, I'd rather have every government progam in existence limited.

This thread got crazy. I think I knew it would that is why I just stopped posting. But here goes, I have been broke for years now since my boy got sick. I cannot believe all the posts on here about taking kids gifts back, selling them etc. WOW. My parents knew I was in a bad place, they knew their college kid didn't do anything to get here and have always been happy to buy my kids things.

Last year they built their dream house and I got the hand me down house. Maybe I should have said no mom sell the house and buy my groceries. In a few months or whatever when the money was gone I would still be in government housing though so I don't see that point. And for the record here if you ever see my kids they wear all name brands. It is called yard sales and second hand stores.

It is also called knowing how to shop on clearance. I get their clothes probally much cheaper than those who are buying in season at Wally World. I have a nice van. I got it when my elderly grandma died two years ago. Maybe I should have sold it to buy groceries and bills? Of course when that money ran out we would still be hungry riding the bus.

People have posted that families shouldn't be giving gifts they should be helping with bills and food, well not to be rude aren't the majority of those gifts helping? I was always taught to take a gift and be thankful not rude or expect a certain thing. Oh and for all the people out there on assistance who have family members with money to throw away can you put in a good word for me, my kids would love a Wii. :D

I can't believe the posts I have read on this board over this. It is shameful. I also think it is shamful that any parent would punish a child by taking their personal belongings to pay a bill instead of swallowing their pride to ask for help. Our children did not ask to be here. They will live in the hard cold world soon enough why punish childhood?

I had to get rid of the kids dog when things started going bad before I finally asked for help. My kids have never forgiven that. It has been 6 years and they still will talk about Sebastian. My oldest now 14 will still say she would have shared her food to keep the dog. Telling them I had money problems only scared them cause if mommy can't feed our dog and he had to go live somewhere else, what will mommy do with us?

I also know deep down she knows that it is because her brother got sick. So his illness greatly changed our life. At 14 she will tell you that she probally won't have kids she will adopt cause that way you know what you get. :confused: Horrible for a child to live scared.

For real? If your mom sold her house, and give you the money, you'd only have enough for a few months of groceries?

I am not asking that to be snarky at all. I truly don't know how that can be possible.

I know what it means. But thanks. :001_smile:

It is a pretty nasty accusation from someone who obviously has no clue.

In case anyone else doesn't know:

from wiki

Astroturfing is a form of advocacy often in support of a political or corporate agenda designed to give the appearance of a "grassroots" movement. The goal of such campaigns is to disguise the efforts of a political and/or commercial entity as an independent public reaction to some political entity—a politician, political group, product, service or event. The term is a derivation of AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to look like natural grass.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Clarkacademy, you are assuming that I don't know how to shop clearance or use garage sales, and you are assuming my kids live in clothes from Walmart. Why? Why wouldn't you think that an obviously frugal person dedicated to independence would have a clue how to shop?

I've never taken my child's personal possessions and sold them to pay a bill. I've never punished a child because we are poor.

I have refused extravagant gifts from people who don't care that a child has actual outstanding physical needs...people who just want to gratify themselves by showering a kid with luxuries while ignoring the realities of his life...but that's not the same thing, is it? Did you never read Dickens? It is immoral to buy a kid a pony while ignoring his bare feet. The principle stands, no matter how small the pony or how soft the road on which the bare feet walk.

Black-and-white thinking is a problem. You can't paint everyone on your side as the cowboys with black hats and everyone of a different opinion as the cowboys with black hats. Big problems are more complex than that. Convictions are more complex than that.

I'm not an ogre or a bad mother. I simply disagree with you on some issues of federal and state economics (and parenting). It really is useless to try to paint me this way. This perspective is false, and this reputation you want to assign to me is entirely untrue.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Clarkacademy, you are assuming that I don't know how to shop clearance or use garage sales, and you are assuming my kids live in clothes from Walmart. Why? Why wouldn't you think that an obviously frugal person dedicated to independence would have a clue how to shop?

I've never taken my child's personal possessions and sold them to pay a bill. I've never punished a child because we are poor.

I have refused extravagant gifts from people who don't care when a child has actual outstanding physical needs and just want to gratify themselves by showering a kid with luxuries, but that's not the same thing, is it?

This black-and-white thinking is a problem.

I'm not an ogre or a bad mother. I simply disagree with you on some issues of federal and state economics (and parenting). It really is useless to try to paint me this way. This perspective is false, and this reputation you want to assign to me is entirely untrue.

:iagree:

For real? If your mom sold her house, and give you the money, you'd only have enough for a few months of groceries?

I am not asking that to be snarky at all. I truly don't know how that can be possible.

No I just phrased that then typed or whatever ....I know it would be more than a few months but as is my son won't get better. That was the point the money would not last and we would be in same place.

I have refused extravagant gifts from people who don't care that a child has actual outstanding physical needs...people who just want to gratify themselves by showering a kid with luxuries while ignoring the realities of his life...but that's not the same thing, is it? Did you never read Dickens? It is immoral to buy a kid a pony while ignoring his bare feet. The principle stands, no matter how small the pony or how soft the road on which the bare feet walk.

Black-and-white thinking is a problem. You can't paint everyone on your side as the cowboys with black hats and everyone of a different opinion as the cowboys with black hats. Big problems are more complex than that. Convictions are more complex than that.

Well maybe they figure if he has a pony he won't need shoes? I am sorry you walked into that one. I never said you personally you. I stated what I had read key word POSTS with an s for meaning more than one. Are you a bit defensive on that? I said nothing to you. Me thinks the lady does protest too much.

So tell me, how does it apply here? If it is too unpleasant for the board, you can PM or email me. Thanks.

It is a very nasty accusation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/feb/23/need-to-protect-internet-from-astroturfing

If someone thinks someone is doing this, they should report them to the mods or they should learn what a word means before using it.

Edited by Sis

I find the tags assigned to this thread so ridiculous that they are laughable. I hope Mrs. Mungo in particular is having a good guffaw at the rope a dope reference. Goodness.

I just love reading about anything she says even if I don't agree. She is just wonderful

Guest Dulcimeramy
Well maybe they figure if he has a pony he won't need shoes? I am sorry you walked into that one. I never said you personally you. I stated what I had read key word POSTS with an s for meaning more than one. Are you a bit defensive on that? I said nothing to you. Me thinks the lady does protest too much.

If they think having a pony means he doesn't need shoes, than they are more self-absorbed and stupid than even I previously believed.

Quoting Shakespeare doesn't change the fact that you addressed an idea put forth only by me. You didn't address me, but you addressed my posts when there were not posts on that subject by anyone else. I found it reasonable to answer since you said that I should be ashamed of myself, but I disagree that I protested too much.

Amy didn't walk into anything.

You chose to write that.