Menu

Please vote: What gender is Yves (Yeh-vuh)?

What gender is Yves (Yeh-vuh)?  

1. 1. What gender is Yves (Yeh-vuh)?

• Male
    • Female
    • Either male or female

I really like the name Yves. My dh and I have only met female Yves, but found out it is actually a French male name. Just wanted to know what others thought when they heard it.

We would pronounce it "Yeh-vuh."

Thanks for voting :)

I know several Russian Jewish women with this pronunciation, but not this spelling.

Really? How do they spell their name? I love the sound of it. I wonder if all these years the spelling was different than I had thought...

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm so glad I asked or we would've accidentally scarred our future child for life with a wrong spelling/pronunciation and gender. lol!

Okay, now to figure out how to spell Yeh-vuh...any suggestions? :D

This reminds me of a time when I was a child and the family was in British Columbia for a summer while Dad did some contract work for a helicopter company.

There was an American engineer who's name was Daniel an he insisted, since he was in Canada where French is one of the official languages that his name be pronounced Danielle. It DOES sound like the French pronounciation but we were in the backwoods of BC with exactly one French-Canadian (another engineer) within hundreds of kilometers. So he walked around with a girl's name for several months. It was actually the least weird of his many quirks.

Just for the curious these, "I knew this American who..." stories seem to be ever present in Canada. Everyone seems to know one American tourist/friend who is just off-their-rocker weird. I suspect there's a secret program by all the sane ones to offload the crazies on Canada. :)

I've only ever seen it referencing a male. I have no idea how to pronounce it.

I know a Canadian-French Yves - he pronounces it like Eeeeve (kind of a long "E" sound at the beginning).

I've only known males with this name.