Menu

Teenage girl problems regarding historical fiction & puberty

Ugh! I am so frustrated!

My dd has always been my busy bee. She is a level headed "just get it done" kind of kid. Or at least she was... then puberty hit. Crikeys, where did my daughter go?!

I have my kids read historical fiction as we study our way through the timeline. They have to read their books at least one hour a day (on school days only). My son who couldn't put his book down (caught him reading it several times at night) was actually disappointed that he finished his today after only 15 minutes of reading. My DD who has found a million reasons not to read her book even when she is supposed to be reading it (although I do believe she is on her 10th or more reading of Pride & Prejudice, and is close to memorizing the entire book) tosses her historical fiction book down and claims to have finished it 5 minutes after my ds finished his.

Hmmmm... I gently remind her that book reports will be done on these books. She shrugs and says "ok". Still very skeptical I pick up the book for a "pop quiz". I watch as the panic starts to creep into her eyes. Trying to make it easy I find a major plot point near the end, describe in great detail the scene and ask her to name some (any) of the major characters involved in the scene. Nope, none, nada.... please understand... my daughter has a photographic memory. This is no exaggeration, she has never in her life used a bookmark, she doesn't have to, she can burn into eternal memory her page numbers. If she couldn't name the characters it is because she didn't read the book. And the fact that she couldn't even guess at them (being that these were main characters) means she didn't read it at all. :sneaky2:

So of coarse I am both shocked and horrified, and yes I must admit surprised. My kids are big readers, they LOVE to read. My dd knows I spent a lot of money (that we really don't have) on a huge historical fiction library this year for us to read (because, in our area at least, real libraries no longer carry real books). This was a betrayal of sorts. And as unfair as it may sound I would have expected this from my sons, but my daughter has always been so trustworthy! So I confront her, and maybe I am a bit snippy (but I assure you, not too much) and she throws the book onto the floor and shouts in disgust, "It doesn't even have any romance!!"......................... uh oh........ oh no..... argh :banghead::ohmy::crying::confused:

So I say to her in my sternest mother/teacher voice, "well it's schoolwork, it isn't supposed to be a romance novel". Meanwhile I am glancing nervously sideways at our beautiful new bookshelf displaying our amazing new selection of costly books, secretly wondering how many of them have or don't have romantic themes. Then she says she refuses to read any books without romance period. So I call her father and get that all sorted out. Now she is back to reading (since her father grounded her till she finished the book) and she actually seems to be enjoying the book a bit (thank goodness). But I am seriously worried about future battles of this sort.

So any tips, advice, comforting stories of solidarity from parents of other homeschooled girls post puberty? Do they go back to normal? Please tell me this is just a short lived phase!! :001_unsure:

How much choice does your DD have regarding assigned reading?

Is there a way she can select between different options?

I love to read, but I have, at times, encountered books that just did not click and that were a chore to get through. So, if this is a first, I would try to involve her more in the selection of the reading material.

Unless it is a classic of significant importance that I feel MUST be read (I am unwilling to compromise about The Iliad, for example), I can't imagine that there is a book that is the ONLY valid option for a certain time period - so I would let her choose which of the (carefully pre-selected by you) historic fiction to read. (Again, major literary works are different).

I generally try to keep my kids different interests in mind when assigning reading. This pretty much guarantees that the books my son devours will not be what my daughter finds most fascinating, and vice versa. Maybe it really was a book she could not get into?

Btw, just because you paid for a book is, IMO, not a sufficient reason to read it.

This said, cheating about schoolwork is NOT OK and should have consequences. But I would be reluctant to force her to read books that she is clearly not interested in if there are so many other options that she might like.

The thing is, I did pick out books that cater to their individual interests. I was very careful to choose the types of stories they normally read. That is why they are each reading different books. This romance thing is a new development. I blame it on her discovery of Jane Austin (and puberty). And I have poured over the historical fiction lists (just today after this incident) and a lot of historical fiction is lacking in the romance department. Not to mention her dad would have a fit (rightfully so) if the only books she read in school were romance novels. It is important to note that once she actually started reading the book she grudgingly admitted it was pretty good.

The reason my kids are such good readers is I always made sure to find books they enjoyed and then made sure they had access to them (in fact now when I ask them what books they want for free time reading they always tell me to pick something for them). But to be honest, imo everyone should have the skills to read through a book that doesn't grab their interest (critical college level skill). Even you mentioned the importance of that, so even if that was the issue, it still would be important for her to finish the book in my opinion.

But this obsession with romance and flashes of rebellion is what my main concern is. :001_huh:

We haven't had quite that degree of attitude/defiance, but we have definitely had times when an assigned history reader sits there while dd reads a Harry Potter or Sisters Grimm book for the 17th time. Usually I can just tell her no more fun reading until her assigned reading is done. And since she can finish most books in a day or two, it hasn't been much of a problem. If we someday encounter a fixation with romance books I would probably speak to her about that. Any attitude like you're seeing (we see it in other areas, just not reading, and I do think it is hormone-related) does result in some consequences. Around here that could be "you need more sleep"=earlier bedtime, or loss of privileges. There would be a forced vacation from Jane Austen for awhile.:001_smile:

She actually just said to me, "Hey mom this book is pretty good! I guess you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover!" ;)

Feeling better now, thank goodness her dad told her to read it, it isn't like she wanted to admit her love of romance to him.

This romance thing is a new development. I blame it on her discovery of Jane Austin (and puberty).

But Jane Austen goes WAY beyond a mere romance novel!!! There is satire, a wonderful picture of the English society of her timee, a lot of deeper thoughts that distinguish her books from "twaddle" and makes it great literature.

I would be glad if she discovered Jane Austen, would encourage her to read her other works, and would use the momentum to steer her towards the Brontes and other similar works of literature. If this is where her current interest lie, I'd play off it - discuss finer points of the novels, have her research the author and her time, have her write about it.

The best laid schemes... I know you had planned it all out carefully. I have found that some things I planned don't work out the way I had thought, and that my kids surprise me with their interests. Working WITH their interests and not against has been rather fruitful.

But to be honest, imo everyone should have the skills to read through a book that doesn't grab their interest (critical college level skill). Even you mentioned the importance of that, so even if that was the issue, it still would be important for her to finish the book in my opinion.

I agree. But I also think that not every book that was begun needs to be finished - that's why I was asking whether this was a first, or a regular occurrence.

Two things.

I have a long story that goes with this first bit of wisdom, so if you want it, let me know. I do not give assigned reading at my house. I give lists of books and let the kids choose from books on the list. The power of choice is important around here. The kids have to read a certain amount of time per week from the "school" books, but I don't give them a list of read this book for this long on this day.

Second, I always require a 4 chapter trial of any book chosen before it can be discarded. I got that number from a SWB audio lecture. It has served us well.

Good luck. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

But Jane Austen goes WAY beyond a mere romance novel!!! There is satire, a wonderful picture of the English society of her timee, a lot of deeper thoughts that distinguish her books from "twaddle" and makes it great literature.

I would be glad if she discovered Jane Austen, would encourage her to read her other works, and would use the momentum to steer her towards the Brontes and other similar works of literature. If this is where her current interest lie, I'd play off it - discuss finer points of the novels, have her research the author and her time, have her write about it.

The best laid schemes... I know you had planned it all out carefully. I have found that some things I planned don't work out the way I had thought, and that my kids surprise me with their interests. Working WITH their interests and not against has been rather fruitful.

I agree. But I also think that not every book that was begun needs to be finished - that's why I was asking whether this was a first, or a regular occurrence.

She has read Bronte as well :D As a family we are big on reading.

Please remember that the books I am talking about are part of their history curriculum. I am not talking about language art classics or free reading, which they do plenty of. Living history books is a big part of our history studies this year. Just like other curriculum, math, writing, science, etc.. they cannot be optional or we would never get anything done ;)

There's actually a lot of YA historical fiction with romantic themes - I've been avoiding it thus far, but who knows I may have to change my tune in a couple of years. :tongue_smilie:

Some authors you might want to look at if you want to find different historical fiction for her that does have romantic (but not chest-heaving, at least I hope not - have only read the previews) elements:

Donna Jo Napoli

Eva Ibbotson (I just discovered she wrote a bunch of YA with these themes)

Ann Turnbull

Sally Gardner

Don't know where you are in the history cycle, but for the French Revolution, I loved the Scarlet Pimpernel - very romantic.

Two things.

I have a long story that goes with this first bit of wisdom, so if you want it, let me know. I do not give assigned reading at my house. I give lists of books and let the kids choose from books on the list. The power of choice is important around here. The kids have to read a certain amount of time per week from the "school" books, but I don't give them a list of read this book for this long on this day.

Second, I always require a 4 chapter trial of any book chosen before it can be discarded. I got that number from a SWB audio lecture. It has served us well.

Good luck. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

I would love to hear your story!

I have a couple of questions though. :001_smile:

How would you do a Living Books program without an assigned list? Also how would you obtain that many historical fiction books with a limited income and no access to a decent library?

As for the four chapter rule, my daughter just hit the fourth chapter in her book. She apologized to me and thanked me for making her read it saying that it was truly a great book. :)

Guest Dulcimeramy

Just tell her that to all her other accomplishments she must add something else: She must improve her mind by extensive reading.

To take it a step farther, would Mr. Darcy approve of the way she is spending her study time? Or is she silly, like Mary Bennett, spending untold hours on entirely inadequate study without ever improving her character or information?

:tongue_smilie:

A quote from P&P:

"Oh! certainly," cried his faithful assistant [Caroline Bingley], "no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half-deserved."

"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."

There's actually a lot of YA historical fiction with romantic themes - I've been avoiding it thus far, but who knows I may have to change my tune in a couple of years. :tongue_smilie:

Some authors you might want to look at if you want to find different historical fiction for her that does have romantic (but not chest-heaving, at least I hope not - have only read the previews) elements:

Donna Jo Napoli

Eva Ibbotson (I just discovered she wrote a bunch of YA with these themes)

Ann Turnbull

Sally Gardner

Don't know where you are in the history cycle, but for the French Revolution, I loved the Scarlet Pimpernel - very romantic.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into them. We are actually doing Ancient Egypt right now. We started from the beginning with our Living Books/timeline construction program we are working on. We do have the Scarlet Pimpernel, my oldest son loves that book! :)

Just tell her that to all her other accomplishments she must add something else: She must improve her mind by extensive reading.

To take it a step farther, would Mr. Darcy approve of the way she is spending her study time? Or is she silly, like Mary Bennett, spending untold hours on entirely inadequate study without ever improving her character or information?

A quote from P&P:

"Oh! certainly," cried his faithful assistant [Caroline Bingley], "no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half-deserved."

"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."

Awesome idea, I will definitely use it! :)

A quote from P&P:

Thanks! She finished the quote as soon as I started it and she totally agrees! :lol: You are seriously my new hero! :D

I became my own half-decent library just for this purpose. I haunt library book sales, used-book stores and the goodwill bookshelves.

I started homeschooling my ds in miuddle school. I used SL one year; I was eclectic one year; I followed WTM one year; I followed CM for more than a year. Above all, we read and discussed lots of books. By the time my ds was in high school, he HATED to be assigned books to read, but I just kept on because he was very compliant. He would read his book, discuss it, and write about it. I thought we were doing great. He graduated well-read and able to hold his own in school. Then one day we had a chat while he was in college. He'd been reading Frankenstein while commuting to school. He asked me if I had ever read it because it was AMAZING. I have a very nice paper that he wrote about it that I even checked through plagarism sites at the time (because I'm that kinda mom). We had spent more than an hour discussing it. He wrote an essay about one of the themes. But two years later, he didn't even remember reading it. That was just the first of many books he discovered at college.

My favorite book is Moby Dick. I love it, and when I finish reading it, I just flip back to the beginning and start again. I remember it being on my highschool reading list as one of the books I could choose but never did. I remember it being a choice in a Western Civ. class in college that I never chose. After I read it the second time, I realized that if I had been forced to read it any sooner in my life, I would have hated it.

Right now, my ds is fascinated by linguistics and thinks Tolkein is a genius. I assigned him to read LoTR in highschool, and he hated it. When we discussed this at Christmas break a couple of years ago, he said that being assigned a book just takes away part of the enjoyment of it.

So if my dd reads 5 books by Jules Verne this year and half of the books from the SL list that she chose on her own, I'm really happy. I know that it will be better than if she had read all of the books on the SL list and nothing by Verne.

Now you have my long story about assigned reading. :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into them. We are actually doing Ancient Egypt right now. We started from the beginning with our Living Books/timeline construction program we are working on. We do have the Scarlet Pimpernel, my oldest son loves that book! :)

I know that Mara, Daughter of the Nile has romantic themes, as my girls are just young enough that they complained it was a bit too lovey-dovey for them. :tongue_smilie:

I know that Mara, Daughter of the Nile has romantic themes, as my girls are just young enough that they complained it was a bit too lovey-dovey for them. :tongue_smilie:

Yes my daughter loves that one, she read it a couple of years ago. That was kind of what she was hoping they all would be like I think. :)

Edited to add ~ She has read it many times since then as well. :)

I became my own half-decent library just for this purpose. I haunt library book sales, used-book stores and the goodwill bookshelves.

I started homeschooling my ds in miuddle school. I used SL one year; I was eclectic one year; I followed WTM one year; I followed CM for more than a year. Above all, we read and discussed lots of books. By the time my ds was in high school, he HATED to be assigned books to read, but I just kept on because he was very compliant. He would read his book, discuss it, and write about it. I thought we were doing great. He graduated well-read and able to hold his own in school. Then one day we had a chat while he was in college. He'd been reading Frankenstein while commuting to school. He asked me if I had ever read it because it was AMAZING. I have a very nice paper that he wrote about it that I even checked through plagarism sites at the time (because I'm that kinda mom). We had spent more than an hour discussing it. He wrote an essay about one of the themes. But two years later, he didn't even remember reading it. That was just the first of many books he discovered at college.

My favorite book is Moby Dick. I love it, and when I finish reading it, I just flip back to the beginning and start again. I remember it being on my highschool reading list as one of the books I could choose but never did. I remember it being a choice in a Western Civ. class in college that I never chose. After I read it the second time, I realized that if I had been forced to read it any sooner in my life, I would have hated it.

Right now, my ds is fascinated by linguistics and thinks Tolkein is a genius. I assigned him to read LoTR in highschool, and he hated it. When we discussed this at Christmas break a couple of years ago, he said that being assigned a book just takes away part of the enjoyment of it.

So if my dd reads 5 books by Jules Verne this year and half of the books from the SL list that she chose on her own, I'm really happy. I know that it will be better than if she had read all of the books on the SL list and nothing by Verne.

Now you have my long story about assigned reading. :)

Thanks for this story, it is definitely worth thinking about! So I take it you would avoid any type of living books program?

I love living books and can't imagine doing history without them. I'm just not commited to the reading list or the order the books are read. The four chapter rule really helps us. I choose a time-period or theme, gather books together in a box and require reading from the box. She spends an afternoon of non-school time going through to box, then selects a stack and uses those for school reading. Anything that I consider key to our studies gets read as a read aloud. I also assign reading from our "spine."

I'm with the OP on assigned reading. It is part of college life. If you are taking a course on English Literature, you have to read the assigned texts, not the ones you would rather read. If you are in a history course, you read the assigned texts. But around here assigned texts are not seen as something negative--we've found so many wonderful books thanks to the Biblioplan book list that we use for history. Sometimes there are choices on there, as the authors will indicate that one book may be preferred by girls and another by boys. Once in awhile we'll drop a book that doesn't seem worthwhile. But mostly we all do the assigned reading and enjoy it. It's assigned for a reason--to expose you to particular ideas, a particular culture, a time period, particularly beautiful writing, powerful themes, etc. Assigned reading is not necessarily a bad thing.

I alternate between assigned books and choice books. However, my son doesn't like to pick out books. He will only look at Star Wars books on his own. Beyond that or whatever is current narrow focus de jour is, he doesn't care. However, I have gotten him started down many a good book series by assigning the first book. Many of his favorites were assigned.

My dd hates every. single. book that would be on any living books program. If I let her pick, she would only pick the same few twaddle series over and over and over (stuff fine for free reading but not literature studies). If I have her choose from a list and only require 4 chapters, she would never make it past 4 chapters. NEVER.

IN fact, DH and I were talking about letting her totally pick from a list and see if she makes it past 4 chapters of any book this upcoming school year.

Yup, but it also has an extremely negative view of Hatshepsut, one of the most intriguing women of ancient times. So you want to assign Mara, which I guarentee your daughter will love, and then also the Hatshepsut book by Miriam Greenblatt for non-fiction and also to balance the view of that great Queen Pharoah.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Thanks! She finished the quote as soon as I started it and she totally agrees! :lol: You are seriously my new hero! :D

giggle.gif

I was stunned when DD got interested in romantic fiction. Stunned. Twilight was her presenting series. Not Jane Austen, TwaddleLight. Grrr.

This kid was a READER. And two things happened.

Puberty, and a G1. Suddenly I could no longer control screen time without confiscation, so she was watching a lot more TV before I realized that this was happening; and her dad was so pleased with himself for getting her this that it was hard to take it away. And suddenly she got interested in romance stories, quite suddenly, overnight.

So what happened? It all kind of petered out. She still watches a lot more TV than I would like, but she controls her screen time better than she did at first. I still take her G1 and computer cable away when things are getting out of hand, but I don't have to do it as much. And she remembered that there are other things that she likes to do, including reading (thankfully).

In the meantime, I pointed her back to pretty decent books that include some romance that had pretty much gone over her head before. We laughed together over what she had missed in them earlier. And yes, Jane Austen is on the list, as is some Louisa May Alcott! We talked about Romeo and Juliet in a whole new way. And she still has to do assigned reading, and it's certainly not all going to be romantic.

This is the story of a young Jewish girl taken captive by Romans. It is a trilogy and wonderfully written. Your dd will not be able to put it down. It does present a very straightforward view of Roman society and the debauchery of the people, but there is great learning to be had along with the story. I didn't want it to end and can't wait to read it again when we get back to ancients. You might want to pre-read to see if she's mature enough for it.

HTH and blessings,

PameLA in VA

To take it a step farther, would Mr. Darcy approve of the way she is spending her study time? Or is she silly, like Mary Bennett, spending untold hours on entirely inadequate study without ever improving her character or information? [/color]

Exactly.

I would explain to her the literature approach to teaching history, how it differs from a textbook apporach, and what the benefits are. Then explain that this isn't optional reading, it IS her assigned school work.

Everyone needs to learn to work first and play later, and that is the approach I would take here. She is free to read whatever she wants (within your guidelines for free reading) as soon as she has read her assigned work. You might need to give her an amount of pages per day or manage it a bit more until she has learned to manage her workload herself.

Yikes! Just contributing sympathy, and a list of book ideas of historical fiction, female protagonists, set in ancient times, some with a touch of romance:

- Mara, Daughter of the Nile (McGraw) -- ancient Egypt

- The Foreigner (Malvern) -- (ancient Israel) story of Ruth= http://www.amazon.com/Foreigner-Story-Ruth-Gladys--Malvern/dp/1934255858/ref=pd_sim_b_1

- Behold Your Queen (Malvern) -- (ancient Israel) story of Esther http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193425584X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GABUWG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=177G85T0KBWFMT3342RN

- Tamar: A Story of the Messiah (Malvern) = http://www.amazon.com/Tamar-Story-Messiah-Gladys-Malvern/dp/1934255939/ref=pd_sim_b_3

- Tirzah (Travis) -- ancient Israel

- Adara (Gormley) -- ancient Israel

Till We Have Faces (Lewis) -- CS Lewis' masterful retelling of the Cupid & Psyche myth, set in a type of ancient Mesopotamian culture -- NOTE: this is a meaty book with powerful themes, and best to read/discuss together in high school, but a mature 8th grader could do this one with mom

- The Lily and the Bull (Caldecott) -- ancient Minoan culture of Crete

- Bull Dancer (Korsness) -- ancient Crete, Babylon and Egyptian cultures

This sounded interesting: The Penelopeia: A Novel in Verse (Rawlings) -- Odysseus' wife, Penelope, and her adventures when she goes to consult the Oracle -- perhaps one to check out while reading The Odyssey??

Here's an Amazon list of female protagonists in teen historical fiction for Ancients:

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Young-Historical-Fiction-ancient/lm/R3E3N8N8EIDIT5

But this obsession with romance and flashes of rebellion is what my main concern is. :001_huh:

I thought you handled it well, personally. If it happens again, I'd go through the same motions.

I don't have daughters that age yet, but I remember it all too well. (I was a GREAT kid before I hit puberty. I'm not sure I've recovered yet. Pregnancy hormones always seem very similar to puberty & I've been either pg or nursing (or both) for over 10 years.)

General comments:

Vitamins (esp. B complex) seem to help settle some of the ups & downs.

The advice about keeping to the "this is assigned" line is good, IMO. You DID your do-diligence with your reading list. You didn't just assign willy-nilly. Now, if she decides she wants to read the same thing your son is reading ... :tongue_smilie: I'd let her. :lol:

What works for one family isn't going to necessarily work for another (as me how I know).

I haven't done the four chapter rule yet, but I have read aloud the first two chapters to my oldest when she couldn't get into the book. That tends to be enough for her to grab it & go (unless it truly is terrible or beyond her).

Keep up the good work, Mom! Deep breaths, lots of reinforcement from your DH, and repeated doses of patience will be helpful in the months & years ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that I wanted to read those romance novels when I was a teenager. That urge does go away eventually. I was curious--you know. Maybe getting her those non-fiction books that discuss those issues would quell some of the interest. I've run across some historical fiction that has romance--Mara, Daughter of the Nile, Beduins' Gazelle, for example. It's not Pride and Prejudice, but it's historical. Hang in there. I got tired of Harlequin romances and your daughter will too.

I hate to admit this (outloud, or in print) but I fell in love with American History based on John Jakes books. I wouldn't suggest them for a young teen, but it is funny how books, even what might be considered twaddle can lead to a love affair with a period in history. After I finished them I began to devour biographies, and meatier novels. But I still love history and it is surprising how accurate *Some historical 'romances' can be.

But I am seriously worried about future battles of this sort.

It sounds like you needn't be. Dd tested the rules, and she lost. It sounds like she knows where things stand now.

That said, not wanting to read an assigned book is far from the worst thing that could ever happen.

Tara

If your daughter enjoys romances I would really recommend the Georgette Hayer books. They are fantastic, sweet Austen type books with impeccable research and historical detail. They are completely harmless, have wonderful characters and are just a real treat. I adore them and have learnt so much looking up the funny things they mention, like different types of carriages, driving clubs, style of dress, major society players, and things like that.

There isnt anything wrong with a good historical romance IMO. Id exploit the interest and find the things she likes to read.