Menu

Music majors

Ame E.

Son wants to major in Music composition, but I am afraid this will cut him out of other fields (such as teaching piano, or playing the organ, or piano accompaniment)... Is it better to get a general music degree, or to specialize in something like composition while an undergrad? I am thinking general is better but he seems clear he wants to major in music composition..

This came up today. One school offers audition scholarships.. but the auditions are in organ, piano, and voice... not in composition.. If I talk to him he will probably cut this school off his list... but personally I think he is specializing too young... and may cut out a lot of opportunities..

Any opinions?

Ame

Edited by Ame E.

1) What does his piano teacher think?

2) Do you have any other musical people (through church or friends or whatever) who might have relevant experience?

3) Call the head of various music departments and ask for his/her opinion!

4) College confidential has a music majors forum that is pretty active. You might spend some time on that.

I would just go for the composition degree if his heart is set on it. I was a performance major, and while I performed a lot for a little while I discovered later that I ADORED teaching! I had taken 1 required pedagogy class (bleah) and it really didn't enhance or detract from my ability to teach. You can work as an accompanist, organist, or teacher without having a specific focus in those areas as an undergrad. He will get the same thorough general musical training as all the other music students. The only differences are likely to be private lessons in composition, some kind of group symposium, and maybe 4-6 classes specializing in composition. Compare composition to other specialty areas in his music department and I think you'll find the coursework isn't all that different. Most people earn a living making music become a "jack of all trades," earning a little doing that, a little doing this and patchworking a bunch of stuff together. Unless he goes the purely academic route and ends up teaching at a university. Anyway... I really don't think majoring in composition will cut off other possibilities.

Thing about performing is no degree is required at all. It doesn't matter if he has a performance or comp degree, if he's the best fit at the audition, he'll get the gig. As to teaching, private lessons from home don't have restrictions, but of course at a school he'll need the certificate or possibly a great resume.

As to the scholarships, they may be restricted to performance majors (or minors), but not always.

He can do a double major or minor in something else like teaching piano and things like that. His mind will probably change a few times and that's okay. I don't want to tell you how many times I have already changed my mind about my career. Just because he majors in something, doesn't mean he can't go back and do something else.

(Advice from a lot of great people in this forum!):)

• 2 weeks later...

Just because you major in composition DOES NOT mean you don't also have to take lessons. I majored in music therapy and EVERY music major had to have both a principal and a secondary instrument even if they weren't majoring in performance. My principal was voice, my secondary was piano. I wasn't majoring in performance but I still had to give an hour long recital on my principal instrument my senior year. Performance majors just have a whole lot more performing to do than others. But even with that said, I had to take 8 semesters of choir, 8 semesters of another group performance thing was optional; 8 semesters of a principal instrument; give a recital on said principal instrument; 8 semesters of a secondary instrument; pass a piano proficiency exam; pass a guitar proficiency exam; pass a "working knowledge" exam on at least one instrument in each orchestra family (percussion and strings in group class, and then because one of my music therapy classes met at the same time as the required class in brass and woodwinds, I got to take saxophone and trumpet lessons for a semester each) pass a guitar proficiency exam; basic conducting skills class; and five semesters of music convocation class which basically consisted of attending twenty concerts a semester plus performing in a weekly class and several other concerts each semester besides just concert attendance. Oh and then there was performance in master classes and repertoire classes. So you get plenty of performance even if there isn't a performance major involved. Performance majors just get MORE.

Oh, and as to specializing too early? I was told it was a good thing I came to school KNOWING which specialization I wanted to do because it made for a shorter time there. My scholarship money was for four years and four years only. I had to go to school 2 summers even with that (2 summers that my scholarship did not pay for) to get out in four and a half, the final six months being my internship out of state. If I hadn't gone in knowing what I wanted to major in, it probably would have taken me six years to get out of school, because every music major I met, no matter what they were majoring in in the department, their degree was at the limit of the number of hours allowed for a bachelor's degree which back then was 150. Music majors are some of the most expensive, most grueling, most time consuming, and HARDEST majors ever. Most people I knew were taking at least 5 years to get out of school and if they changed their major whether in or out of department even once then they were taking 5 1/2 or 6. But I have a passion for music and wouldn't do anything else.

Hope you find something there that's helpful to you.

I would say that the hardest thing when I got out of school with my music degree was finding a job because the on-campus career center really didn't know which way to steer me. The business majors and accountants and typical people they KNEW which way to go with, but music majors just made them look puzzled, no matter which area of music they specialized in.

Just because you major in composition DOES NOT mean you don't also have to take lessons. I majored in music therapy and EVERY music major had to have both a principal and a secondary instrument even if they weren't majoring in performance. My principal was voice, my secondary was piano. I wasn't majoring in performance but I still had to give an hour long recital on my principal instrument my senior year. Performance majors just have a whole lot more performing to do than others. But even with that said, I had to take 8 semesters of choir, 8 semesters of another group performance thing was optional; 8 semesters of a principal instrument; give a recital on said principal instrument; 8 semesters of a secondary instrument; pass a piano proficiency exam; pass a guitar proficiency exam; pass a "working knowledge" exam on at least one instrument in each orchestra family (percussion and strings in group class, and then because one of my music therapy classes met at the same time as the required class in brass and woodwinds, I got to take saxophone and trumpet lessons for a semester each) pass a guitar proficiency exam; basic conducting skills class; and five semesters of music convocation class which basically consisted of attending twenty concerts a semester plus performing in a weekly class and several other concerts each semester besides just concert attendance. Oh and then there was performance in master classes and repertoire classes. So you get plenty of performance even if there isn't a performance major involved. Performance majors just get MORE.

Oh, and as to specializing too early? I was told it was a good thing I came to school KNOWING which specialization I wanted to do because it made for a shorter time there. My scholarship money was for four years and four years only. I had to go to school 2 summers even with that (2 summers that my scholarship did not pay for) to get out in four and a half, the final six months being my internship out of state. If I hadn't gone in knowing what I wanted to major in, it probably would have taken me six years to get out of school, because every music major I met, no matter what they were majoring in in the department, their degree was at the limit of the number of hours allowed for a bachelor's degree which back then was 150. Music majors are some of the most expensive, most grueling, most time consuming, and HARDEST majors ever. Most people I knew were taking at least 5 years to get out of school and if they changed their major whether in or out of department even once then they were taking 5 1/2 or 6. But I have a passion for music and wouldn't do anything else.

I would say that the hardest thing when I got out of school with my music degree was finding a job because the on-campus career center really didn't know which way to steer me. The business majors and accountants and typical people they KNEW which way to go with, but music majors just made them look puzzled, no matter which area of music they specialized in.

This!!!! I could have written this post. I majored in piano performance, instrumental education, and philosophy. I cannot emphasize enough how much music departments care about potential degree candidates coming into the department already proficient on an instrument or with extensive vocal experience. There are NO remdial music classes at good music schools. They are not looking for a candidate that needs to be brought up to speed. Yes, music therapy, composition, music education, etc. majors will not have as much performing to do at that nerve wracking level. No, you won't get out of performing and you will be expected to be a good player and for instrumental education and composition majors, HIGHLY proficient is good way of putting it.

Faith

I majored in Music Education and managed to graduate in 4 years but that was with AP credits for Biology, summer school (American Lit, Economics, & History and routinely taking 21+ credit hours per semester. And often a 1 credit class (like marching band) took up so much more time than a 3 credit Sociology class. It was grueling indeed.

I majored in Music Education and managed to graduate in 4 years but that was with AP credits for Biology, summer school (American Lit, Economics, & History and routinely taking 21+ credit hours per semester. And often a 1 credit class (like marching band) took up so much more time than a 3 credit Sociology class. It was grueling indeed.

AMEN AMEN and AMEN. Grueling. Expensive. And no room for "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Someone already mentioned that just because he's majoring in composition doesn't mean he won't be required to take music history, a variety of performance-based credits, electives within the department that don't count toward his composition requirements, not to mention the general ed classes he'll have to take in other departments of his college/university to satisfy the "liberal" part of his liberal arts degree. :001_smile:

My husband was an organ performance major for his BA because that's what his scholarship was for. He has always worked in sacred music and continues to do so, regardless of that specialization. If the scholarship is an issue, your son can always minor in composition to satisfy his desire for mastery of that subject.

Very good/helpful answers already!

I started college on a hefty scholarship for music composition, but there was no narrow degree plan for that -- was a "music" degree. All students were required to obtain proficiency on one or more instruments (or in voice), if not already possessed. If already possessed, one continued studying ones instrument.

As so many years have passed, I don't know which colleges currently offer scholarships for music composition. Hope you find several possibilities to investigate. Mine was the "Mary Duke Biddle" composition scholarship from Duke; probably it still exists. It was not given out every year; only when a good "fit" came along.

Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

He was also interested in composition, but his school doesn't offer a major in composition. Choices were: BS in Church Music, BS in Vocal Performance, BS in Instrumental Performance, BS in Music Education, and BA in Music. He chose to do a BA in Music. It's a more general degree, and there are some courses (including foreign language) that BA students are required to take that BS students are not.

At ER's school (and all the others I know anything about) ALL music majors are required to take piano proficiency, music history, music theory, and private lessons in the primary instrument. Voice is considered an instrument, and that was ER's choice, although he actually prefers to guitar, but it was not a choice at his school. All music majors are required to undergo juries (perfom and be critiqued by the entire music faculty) each semester, and give a senior recital (perform for the public). Music majors are required to attend all such recitals, as well as other performances throughout the school year.

One important thing to know is that at all of the schools I know anything about, music is actually a 5-year degree--something to consider when seeking scholarships, which are often available for only 4 years. With most other majors, students spend the first couple of years working on their core, and then concentrate on their major their last two years. Not so with music majors. Music majors start off the first semester of their freshman year working on their track. If not, they are behind when they start. They don't have the luxury of starting on their college work and then making up their minds which direction to go.

Edited by ereks mom

This experience sounds exactly like hers!