Menu

Winning with Writing (from GWG writers) is out

I couldn't decide whether to start with Level 3 or 4, so I emailed the company. They responded within minutes (!) and then gave some great advice. Basically, level 3 requires one paragraph writings and toward the end a few three paragraph writings. Level 4 requires three paragraph writings right away. Based on that, and that my daughter doesn't write in paragraphs yet, we're going to go with Level 3. That feels comfortable for me, as we are using Growing with Grammar Level 3 as well.

I'll photo-blog our experiences with the program soon.

very helpful. thanks for sharing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those marks you are seeing are not supposed to be there. Those are supposed to be actual writing lines for the students. I would appreciate help from you wonderful folks. Could you tell me which browser you are using to view our sample pages? I've used Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome and they all show me the writing lines and no marks.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please know that we're working on this and will have these sample pages fixed as soon as we figure out why they are showing up like this for only some folks.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

JacKris Publishing

I am seeing them in firefox. But not the latest 4.1 version....maybe I should download the update and see if they are still there.

I wish it wasn't set up for a 36 week-5 days/week school year. I really want something else for writing for the kids extra and the scope & sequence is about what I'm looking for, but...

I had the same thought. At least for my kids, that's a lot of workbook writing if I want them to do anything else with writing. It's just too much.

The samples are fixed. Please refresh your browser once you get to the sample pages, otherwise your computer will still show you the old sample pages that are stored in your computer's cache (memory).

Thank you for your patience.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

JacKris Publishing

Back to writing...

I'm going to show my dd these samples. I'm very happy with WWE for my kids, but dd has been telling me how much she likes writing paragraphs in CLE LA for awhile, and wishing she could write more paragraphs and reports. This is inexpensive enough to add in for her. I don't think I can let her drop WWE though.

What I really think she'd like is IEW, but I can't deal with it right now.

The samples are fixed. Please refresh your browser once you get to the sample pages, otherwise your computer will still show you the old sample pages that are stored in your computer's cache (memory).

Thank you for your patience.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

JacKris Publishing

I still see them in Firefox. I refreshed. I closed the tab and reopened the file in a new one. Still there. Not a big deal for me, but just an FYI.

I am using the latest version of Firefox and I see just those funny lines. I'm glad they are not actually there, lol!

Ditto!

So glad to hear the lines will be typical 3 lined writing lines for kids! I think mine shipped a few days ago :)

I couldn't decide whether to start with Level 3 or 4, so I emailed the company. They responded within minutes (!) and then gave some great advice. Basically, level 3 requires one paragraph writings and toward the end a few three paragraph writings. Level 4 requires three paragraph writings right away. Based on that, and that my daughter doesn't write in paragraphs yet, we're going to go with Level 3. That feels comfortable for me, as we are using Growing with Grammar Level 3 as well.

Thanks! This is extremely helpful!

Just wondering if anyone else has asked or pondered...since it is broken up by semester, could one use WWW 3 2nd semester and then WWW 4 1st semester in a yr? I looked at the table of contents and we have covered a good deal of the 1st semester stuff (level 3), but someone listed the writing requirement for level 3 vs 4 and I don't know that jumping straight into 3 paragraph writings is a good idea.

I'm going to get the Grade 1 level. I just decided. I don't have GWG or SWS (they're on my "probably" list for second grade), but this looks really good to me for learning about sentence types, etc. I like the sample lessons.

See, and I just looked at the Grade 1 level and thought "Aack! There is no way we are ready for that!":lol:

Ds can't even spell single words on his own, I'm pretty sure asking him to complete sentences would be like torture (for both of us). We're going to have to stick with the WTM copywork/narration/dictation/spelling/grammar combo until his visual memory is better built up for original writing.

See, and I just looked at the Grade 1 level and thought "Aack! There is no way we are ready for that!":lol:

Ds can't even spell single words on his own, I'm pretty sure asking him to complete sentences would be like torture (for both of us). We're going to have to stick with the WTM copywork/narration/dictation/spelling/grammar combo until his visual memory is better built up for original writing.

This is why sample lessons are so great--you can really see if they fit your kid or not. :001_smile:

Why did I open this thread? LOL.

Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong. We have been using WWE and just finished WWE4, successfully, BTW. But it didn't cover many of the things listed for Level 3 of WWW. Doe PHP just take a very different approach to teaching writing? These workbooks look really great but I feel ridiculous backing my 5th grader up to WWW3 when he has been successful at WWE4. Am I the only one scratching my head in bewilderment? I thinking of ditching WWE for my soon to be third grader and just jumping in with WWW. I was already planning on doing GWG with the rising 5th grader (and maybe 3rd grader too) so that's why I opened the thread.

:confused: Anyone else feel my pain?

Wow! The acronyms are making my head spin. WWE, WWW, WTM too many WWWWssss!!!! What are we talking about again?

Edited by Guest

Just wondering if anyone else has asked or pondered...since it is broken up by semester, could one use WWW 3 2nd semester and then WWW 4 1st semester in a yr? I looked at the table of contents and we have covered a good deal of the 1st semester stuff (level 3), but someone listed the writing requirement for level 3 vs 4 and I don't know that jumping straight into 3 paragraph writings is a good idea.

I was wondering that too. It looks like it can be done.

Okay, maybe I'm doing something wrong. We have been using WWE and just finished WWE4, successfully, BTW. But it didn't cover many of the things listed for Level 3 of WWW. Doe PHP just take a very different approach to teaching writing? These workbooks look really great but I feel ridiculous backing my 5th grader up to WWW3 when he has been successful at WWE4. Am I the only one scratching my head in bewilderment? I thinking of ditching WWE for my soon to be third grader and just jumping in with WWW. I was already planning on doing GWG with the rising 5th grader (and maybe 3rd grader too) so that's why I opened the thread.

:confused: Anyone else feel my pain?

I think I will be using level 3 with my daughter who will be in 4th for the same reason. I am glad they are calling it "level" instead of "grade" or she would be pretty unhappy with me :001_smile:

Wow! The acronyms are making my head spin. WWE, WWW, WTM too many WWWWssss!!!! What are we talking about again?
Riting

LOL:lol:

I"m using Safari v5.0.3 on a Mac and I see the marks, no lines.

Those marks you are seeing are not supposed to be there. Those are supposed to be actual writing lines for the students. I would appreciate help from you wonderful folks. Could you tell me which browser you are using to view our sample pages? I've used Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome and they all show me the writing lines and no marks.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please know that we're working on this and will have these sample pages fixed as soon as we figure out why they are showing up like this for only some folks.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

JacKris Publishing

I think it's a difference in philosophy. More sooner/faster is not always better. You have to decide which path you want to take. Some of the things listed in WWW3 are/can be addressed in dictation: quotations, strong verbs, strong adjectives. Some of the topics are covered in SWB's First Language Lessons. It just depends on your philosophy. Many have used SWB's methods and produced great writers. For many, the method doesn't work. YOu have to look at your goals, your kid, your teaching style. Several of those topics are covered in SWB's new writing program Writing with Skill which is coming out in the Fall. Also, some of the topics I think become intuitive for kids where copywork, narration and dictation has worked well for those kids. My thoughts are that some of the issues addressed in GWG explicitly (and some of us need that - like me lol), is handled by the parent when it occurs using narration and dictation. For example, DC gives you narration with choppy sentences that need to be combined. You then help DC to edit the choppy sentences and rewrite the narration which is from his/her history, science, or literature.

This is something I've struggled with. If you do a separate program such as WWE, WWW then you really don't have much time to do a lot of writing in history, science, literature. It's a trade off of having it laid out for you and being pick up and go, or forging the road alone lol. My oldest is finishing up WWE4 this year (he's in 5th grade but we didn't start HSing until 3rd grade so he's done nearly 4 levels in 3yrs) and I'm so looking forward to having the WWE time slot for writing in history and science. We did Writing With Skill beta test and I'm going to replicate that using content from his history and science so we're working in writing but also cementing/discussing history and science simultaneously.

I don't know....I hope others chime in. Perhaps we should start another thread about this.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I like this. I like WWE, but I don't think my kids' writing skills have progressed, really, using WWE. I love the passages SWB has chosen, though. Is it too much to do both? I'm confused. :confused: (But, the whole writing thing has been confusing to me from the get-go.)

I inquired this morning about leveling in the upper levels, and here was the reply (very quickly and on a weekend, I must add:001_smile:)...

Jill,

One of the differences in levels 6, 7, and 8 is the amount of writing. 6th grade requires 5 paragraph assignments, 7th grade requires 6 paragraph assignments, and 8th grade requires 7 paragraph assignments. More writing is required as the student progresses.

Different types of writing are introduced as well (biographical essay, cause and effect essay, research report, informative essay in 6th grade - compare and contrast essay, explanatory/expository essay, and autobiographical essay in 7th grade - problem and solution essay in 8th grade).

The main point of these levels is to get the student writing more and feeling more confident with what they are writing to prepare them for high school.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Kelly

JacKris Publishing

Growing With Grammar

Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary

Winning With Writing

www.JacKrisPublishing.com

telephone (317) 919-3624 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (317) 919-3624 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

fax (888) 554-0182

I have to say after looking at the samples, I like the looks of this program. We have loved WWE in the early years, and we are continuing with narrations, dictation and copywork in grammar, history and science. We've enjoyed Aesop A this year, and I originally intended to do IEW SWI-A next year. I've now changed my mind. I just ordered WWW 4 and 5 for my dds. Darn this board! :001_smile: I'll have to change my sig line, now.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by amsunshine

I am so glad that I found this thread! We have been using the grammar and spelling programs and loving them. I also have been struggling to find a writing program for my daughte especially (age almost 11), but also my 9 year old son. My only concern is placing them...since my daughter has very little skill in writing, I know that she is nowhere close to being at the 5th grade level (like all of her other subjects), but if i take her down too far, I am wondering if it will look too babyish...but if I dont' take her back far enough she will continue to struggle and get frustrated. Any thoughts for that for me??

Well, now that I know that the writing lines aren't those ''''' marks, I'm back to considering this. I was looking to add a new writing program because I don't feel that WWE is teaching him how to write his own thoughts, but I am hesitant to give that up because it is our only source of copywork and dictation, and my son loves the book excerpts. We really like GWG so I know this approach works well for him. I was going to continue with WWE and add Writing Strands and then switch from GWG to EPGY LA. Do you think I could do WWE and WWW with a 4th grader? Too much writing? Too much redundancy?

I too am wondering if I should use this along with WWE. I don't know whether to start WWW or wait for Writing with Skill. Does anyone know if they would be similar or two totally different philosophies? And if different, oh please tell me which one to choose :)

I got levels 2 and 3 today. They look good! I can't compare them to anything else as this will be our first time HS'ing and I haven't seen other writing curriculum. Looks like they will be pretty busy with a 5day/week schedule!

I just ordered Level 1 for the coming year :D We are currently using Write Source K, which I do really like a lot, but after taking a look (several times) at WWW, I just really like the layout of it! We will give it a go once we finish up Write Source :D YAY! I was so tempted to go ahead and order it Priority, but opted for Media mail since there isn't a rush...but OH how I don't want to wait, LOL!!

I just ordered Level 1 for the coming year :D We are currently using Write Source K, which I do really like a lot, but after taking a look (several times) at WWW, I just really like the layout of it! We will give it a go once we finish up Write Source :D YAY! I was so tempted to go ahead and order it Priority, but opted for Media mail since there isn't a rush...but OH how I don't want to wait, LOL!!

It shouldn't take long for you to get it even with media mail. I received mine within a week of ordering (5 days to be exact) and I chose media mail shipping. They have excellent customer service.

I was just looking at their website and then saw this thread today. For those who are familiar with this program, what are your thoughts on this idea? I would really like to do MCT Grammar Town, etc. with my upcoming 5th grader. He is really good with language - verbally and reading, but no so great with writing. Would WWW be a good writing program to go with the MCT grammar program? Thanks for your thoughts!

Melody

We got ours within 3 days with Media Mail. We did it two days last week and so far I think this will be our only writing program. We may peek at additional resources in the colorful Write Source student book sometimes, but WWW will be our everyday program.

We got ours within 3 days with Media Mail. We did it two days last week and so far I think this will be our only writing program. We may peek at additional resources in the colorful Write Source student book sometimes, but WWW will be our everyday program.

:willy_nilly: you are getting me so excited :D Now I really can't wait to get it, LOL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered WWW3 today with 2 student books for dds. I told the customer service gal that I heard about this from you, Angela. :001_smile:

Dd8 needs work on paragraph writing and editing. I hope this is a good fit. Dd7 will be along for the ride.:auto:

We are going to try WWW3 alongside WWE 2 and 3 for my oldest. I just placed the order. I think the simplicity of a daily workbook will be painless for him....bite size chunks, open and go, small investment of $$ and time for skill building.

I won't give up WWE though and I still intend to use Writing Tales, Kilgallon, and Classical Composition or Writing With Skill down the line. I LOVE using a variety of resources to learn about writing. Keeps things interesting and fun. WWE is our "constant" right now though. WWS is our "supplement".

What fun:001_smile:.

I have to say after looking at the samples, I like the looks of this program. We have loved WWE in the early years, and we are continuing with narrations, dictation and copywork in grammar, history and science. We've enjoyed Aesop A this year, and I originally intended to do IEW SWI-A next year. I've now changed my mind. I just ordered WWW 4 and 5 for my dds. Darn this board! :001_smile: I'll have to change my sig line, now.:tongue_smilie:

I just purchased IEW to use for our writing. My long term plan is to use R&S for grammar and IEW for writing. So what made you change your plan for writing (IEW)? I will receive my IEW SWI A tomorrow (hopefully) to use for my 8.5 yr old with 6.5 tag along. We are still using WWE 3 and WWE 1 for my two kids.

• 4 months later...
When we finish a page, I cut the right lower corner (when you have the front facing you) off at an angle, about half and inch in. You can flip right to where you left off, and if the page is "whole" you know you've got the other side to do. Of course, I do one front and one back each sitting. Very handy.

I know this is old, but thought for anyone else like me who is investigating writing options and was concerned about the flipping I'd post. When I grew up, my mom had us go through workbooks every summer to be sure we didn't forget everything. After she checked a page, she would fold the bottom right corner up toward the top left corner, aligning what was originally the right side with the left side (sort of like dogearing a page, but a really big triangle instead of a little one). Then for the next page, she would do the opposite - top right corner folded down toward the bottom left. Made it very easy to find your place, and it looked nice & neat. You could easily do the same with a top-bound workbook, folding bottom right up, then for the next page folding bottom left up toward the top right.