Menu

Winning with Writing (from GWG writers) is out

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up - we love Growing with Grammar. I wonder if we could combine it with our current writing program (Write Source) and use the workbook part. I'm looking at it and wondering what level we'd start at - 3 or 4...

I really dislike all this new curriculum! LOL :-) it make me want to buy it when what I have works perfectly well. I love GWG products! I am sure this is going to be great too! OH man!!! (must use what I have, must use what I have, I must...)

Edited by Tina in WA

Grrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaat.

My writing curriculum attempts/currents could take up my entire signature line.

Kathy - MeaningfulComposition-WWE-WritersJungle-Kilgallon-StepUpforWriting-6TRaits (Mulling over Winning with Writing, Write Source, CW, WWS, and 2 others if I could remember what I bookmarked).

Kathy - MeaningfulComposition-WWE-WritersJungle-Kilgallon-StepUpforWriting-6TRaits (Mulling over Winning with Writing, Write Source, CW, WWS, and 2 others if I could remember what I bookmarked).

:iagree: Mine too, although we've only so far attempted WWE and Write Source. I have read most of the rest and some of it isn't really programs with lessons, just good reading for me. And some we're just not ready for yet.

Anther program to look at! :tongue_smilie: Why did they change the format of the binding? The Grammar and Spelling have the spiral at the top. This was great for lefties! I wonder why the difference?

I'm trying not to sound like a writing snob...but I looked at the samples and can't quite place my kids in their program (I guess because we've been following TWTM writing for so long). Anyone else? :confused: 9 yro is planning to do Writing Tales this year, but 8 yro might be pretty compatible with this program (he uses GWG also, so we know their format very well).

Anyone else not sure what level to get their kid? :bigear:

I'm trying not to sound like a writing snob...but I looked at the samples and can't quite place my kids in their program (I guess because we've been following TWTM writing for so long). Anyone else? :confused: 9 yro is planning to do Writing Tales this year, but 8 yro might be pretty compatible with this program (he uses GWG also, so we know their format very well).

I thought my kids place nicely at their grade level (2nd and 3rd next year) but we are coming out of public school.

I thought my kids place nicely at their grade level (2nd and 3rd next year) but we are coming out of public school.

Hmmm... I was a science major and writing/language arts has always been like wandering around in a dark cave for us. :tongue_smilie: I really have no idea what I'm doing. Grammar, writing and spelling. It's like Kryptonite.

I guess I'll keep browsing the samples and mull it over. :nopity:

We are doing GWG 4 and SWS 4, but it looks like WWW would be a 2. Kiddo is better at spelling than anything else, and we have been chugging along on the grammer for nearly 2 years. But, he is not ready to "make up" so much stuff, yet. We will continue WWE, but after it, he might be ready for WWW 4+.

We like the top spiral very much, too.

We are doing GWG 4 and SWS 4, but it looks like WWW would be a 2. Kiddo is better at spelling than anything else, and we have been chugging along on the grammer for nearly 2 years. But, he is not ready to "make up" so much stuff, yet. We will continue WWE, but after it, he might be ready for WWW 4+.

We like the top spiral very much, too.

You know, I think this is just so different from TWTM writing that I can't figure out where my kid would fit into it. I think I'll consider WWW for the 8 yro, but just for 3rd grade. It might be overkill with the other stuff we do. :confused:

I can't stand it when shiny, new curriculum comes out!!! :lol:

It does look very good, tho.

I abhor the top spiral LOL. I am surprised people like it! We always get confused flipping back and forth looking where the last lesson was done - it sounds silly typing that out but I can't even count how many times I've had to flip those workbooks back and forth and I can't find the right spot. Perhaps I am top spiral challenged. :)

My oldest (almost 11) is nearly done with GWG5. I looked at the samples and scope/sequence and I'm not sure I'd want to start him at level 6 on the writing - it looks like there is some good content in levels 4 and 5.

For my 9yo level 3 of the writing seems a bit light so I'd start him on level 4 (which would be on grade level for him in the fall).

For my 7yo level 2 would work fine.

All this is moot though cause I have all these other writing programs right? I mean I don't need to do WWE/WWS/Bravewriter/IEW/WWW right? :D

One of those was probably Essentials in Writing. :leaving:

:D

I abhor the top spiral LOL. I am surprised people like it!

It means my son doesn't spend ANY time fighting with a spine that won't lay flat, or a side spiral that digs into his forearm. We have no logistical struggles with it at all, and we do with every other spine down the side book.

The flipping is a bit annoying, and I'm glad the text is side spiral, but for my boy (and lefties, I hear) the top spiral is a stroke of genius.

I abhor the top spiral LOL. I am surprised people like it! We always get confused flipping back and forth looking where the last lesson was done - it sounds silly typing that out but I can't even count how many times I've had to flip those workbooks back and forth and I can't find the right spot. Perhaps I am top spiral challenged. :)

I'm top spiral challenged too. I can never tell if I'm flipping in the right direction.

These do not appear to be bound from the top (or has everyone else already noticed this? :o)

Hmmm... I was a science major and writing/language arts has always been like wandering around in a dark cave for us. :tongue_smilie: I really have no idea what I'm doing. Grammar, writing and spelling. It's like Kryptonite.

I guess I'll keep browsing the samples and mull it over. :nopity:

Oh I'm with you there! We are a family where language is not our strong suit.

I just saw that the new writing program is on the Growing with Grammar website.

Thanks a lot. That's all I need. Another writing program to look at! :willy_nilly::drool5:

I wish it wasn't set up for a 36 week-5 days/week school year. I really want something else for writing for the kids extra and the scope & sequence is about what I'm looking for, but...

As we don't do 36 week-5 day school years (more like 34 on a 4-day week with a light summer schedule), I looked at the samples. At Level 3 & below, it looks pretty easy to do more than one day at a time for some lessons. At the higher levels, you could combine some days (WT1 combines writing & editing rough drafts in one day) but probably not quite as easily.

I'm trying not to sound like a writing snob...but I looked at the samples and can't quite place my kids in their program

Ahem, since I already have my writing program picked out for next year (WT2 for the oldest one, some WWE2 as needed for #2), I *cough* didn't look that closely. I'd have my writing-shy #1 kid start with Level 4, probably. My writes-for-fun #2 kid could do Level 3 without batting an eye, but she wouldn't quite be ready for the outlining-stuff in Level 4 from a developmental standpoint. (She could do WT1 this upcoming year but with everything else we are doing, we're putting it off until next year.)

:glare: Now I see why one of my bf IRL is on a sabbatical from the WTM Curriculum board. :tongue_smilie: For these type of posts!

I need to log out and have my DH change my password to these forums.

Anyway, here's the Scope and Sequence for the program. Since we're really good on grammar for now, so I think Level 4 would be best for us, but I'm always more thorough/perfectionist, so we'd probably start with Level 3.

It's inexpensive, super easy to do, other products work well for us... why not add a 3rd writing program (plus others that I've read). Lol.

I'm top spiral challenged too. I can never tell if I'm flipping in the right direction.

When we finish a page, I cut the right lower corner (when you have the front facing you) off at an angle, about half and inch in. You can flip right to where you left off, and if the page is "whole" you know you've got the other side to do. Of course, I do one front and one back each sitting. Very handy.

We've used GWG for 3 yrs and really like it so I can see liking this program as well. My son is a really weak writer and this looks like it has incremental steps which is what he needs. We've done so many things but he's just lazy about writing!

We're using Writing Skills now (which I think is very good) but he needs more practice.

I'm not sure where I would place him either. He's doing GWG 6 now but it looks like doing WWW 4 or 5 might be a good place to start for review and practice.

I'll look forward to hearing more reviews about this come fall ;)

I also dislike the top spirals. I wonder if they did the side spirals on these writing books since the kids will have to rewrite their drafts and the side spiral will make it easier for them to flip back and forth.

My daughter loves GWG and SWS, so I think we will do WWW this year to try it out. I can't figure out which level I want her to do, though. The level 3 material looks like good foundational material that would be both a great review and fill in some "holes" but the level 4 material seems like it would keep her attention more since much of it would be new material to her.

I couldn't decide whether to start with Level 3 or 4, so I emailed the company. They responded within minutes (!) and then gave some great advice. Basically, level 3 requires one paragraph writings and toward the end a few three paragraph writings. Level 4 requires three paragraph writings right away. Based on that, and that my daughter doesn't write in paragraphs yet, we're going to go with Level 3. That feels comfortable for me, as we are using Growing with Grammar Level 3 as well.

I'll photo-blog our experiences with the program soon.

I need to log out and have my DH change my password to these forums.

Anyway, here's the Scope and Sequence for the program. Since we're really good on grammar for now, so I think Level 4 would be best for us, but I'm always more thorough/perfectionist, so we'd probably start with Level 3.

It's inexpensive, super easy to do, other products work well for us... why not add a 3rd writing program (plus others that I've read). Lol.

I hear you. We have Write Source, Unjournaling, Kilgallon, and WWE already for older, and WWE for younger. Hmmm. I bet younger would like to use this program...;) Maybe at the 2nd grade level.....

I also dislike the top spirals. I wonder if they did the side spirals on these writing books since the kids will have to rewrite their drafts and the side spiral will make it easier for them to flip back and forth.

My daughter loves GWG and SWS, so I think we will do WWW this year to try it out. I can't figure out which level I want her to do, though. The level 3 material looks like good foundational material that would be both a great review and fill in some "holes" but the level 4 material seems like it would keep her attention more since much of it would be new material to her.

This is a big problem for me. My son is a lefty and we LOVE the top spiral. It might actually prevent me from buying WWW for him.

Would GWG, SWS, and WWW be too much? Would you consider this workbook curriculum?

If you used all three, how would you schedule them?

I really like GWG....and SWS + WWW seem appealing as well. :001_smile:

Ya, that's one of my concerns: overdosing on the workbooks.

When I am looking at the samples, the spaces where the child is to write all has these accent marks ``````````` Is everyone else seeing the same thing? And if so, why did they use this instead of lines? I really do like the looks of the writing program. However, I am worried that these would be distracting to DS.

Yeah, that threw me off until I thought they decided to use them instead of choosing which writing line style that other programs use. Had they used the 3 lines (dotted middle), we couldn't have used the program. Maybe they thought that would cater to a wider audience if they just didn't use lines at all?

Honestly, I think that is the only thing keeping me from buying it right now. If a page is too visually distracting, it will take us forever to complete it. I can see him connecting the "dots" and making them into some kind of zigzag line.

When I am looking at the samples, the spaces where the child is to write all has these accent marks ``````````` Is everyone else seeing the same thing? And if so, why did they use this instead of lines? I really do like the looks of the writing program. However, I am worried that these would be distracting to DS.

I printed out the sample so ds11 can take a look himself and see what he thinks. The ````````` stuff printed as actual dark, black lines. Try downloading and printing a page or two of the samples and see what you think.:)

HTH

Those marks you are seeing are not supposed to be there. Those are supposed to be actual writing lines for the students. I would appreciate help from you wonderful folks. Could you tell me which browser you are using to view our sample pages? I've used Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome and they all show me the writing lines and no marks.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please know that we're working on this and will have these sample pages fixed as soon as we figure out why they are showing up like this for only some folks.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

JacKris Publishing