Menu

Funnix Math Available for Free

MeaganS

should I sign up again??

The first time I signed up, I didn't click on the spot which told them if I had a PC or Mac-it's in the very top right portion of the sign up page. So, when I got the email from them, it didn't have any instructions.

Then, I signed up again, and clicked on the computer type, and did receive instructions.

The first time I signed up, I didn't click on the spot which told them if I had a PC or Mac-it's in the very top right portion of the sign up page. So, when I got the email from them, it didn't have any instructions.

Then, I signed up again, and clicked on the computer type, and did receive instructions.

I signed up again and it came right away. I have limited internet with hughes and it is a huge file so I will have to wait till like 2 am during free download time grrrrrrr So anyone who gets it set up today please share thoughts :)

I just went through the first full lesson. It is exactly the same as the phonics one, complete with clicker training. It has a man's voice instead of a woman's for most of it, and it is math, but that's the only difference I can see.

We've gone through two lessons so far. There's a readiness test that is basically counting to 10 and knowing the difference between 4 and 2 on sight. Then, the first couple of lessons are counting and number recognition. We'll be taking an accelerated pace with this until we get to something my 4 yo doesn't know. It's set up exactly like the phonics program, except there are two "teachers" instead of one. Since we're using Funnix Reading for his phonics, that works really well for him. I think it ends around double digit addition and subtraction. There are 100 lessons, and a workbook to print out, where they practice matching, number writing, and number recognition (at least in the first few lessons, I haven't looked through them all).

It looks rather basic, but it'll work.

Lance, my six year old completed the first lesson. He knows how to count but he has trouble writing the numbers. I figure starting and continuing with lesson 1 can't hurt ;)

I like the math better than the phonics. Not sure why but then again, I never could get use to phonics on the computer. I own Talking Fingers and it doesn't get done. Weird.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I tried downloading Funnix Math onto my Mac and it didn't work. My screen just went black and nothing appeared. Has anyone been able to download onto a Mac? I did make sure I downloaded the Mac version.

I got that too. I played around with it a few times and got a voice and some graphics, but it was very buggy and I (temporarily) gave up.

I will try again, but thus far it seems dodgy on the Mac.

Bill

I tried downloading Funnix Math onto my Mac and it didn't work. My screen just went black and nothing appeared. Has anyone been able to download onto a Mac? I did make sure I downloaded the Mac version.

I got that too. I played around with it a few times and got a voice and some graphics, but it was very buggy and I (temporarily) gave up.

I will try again, but thus far it seems dodgy on the Mac.

Bill

The placement test installed fine. I did notice that there was a black screen, but I happened to accidently squeeze the middle of the mouse (I don't know what that's called) and funnix appeared from behind the black screen. When I clicked the funnix, it came to the front. I'm installing the second set of lessons. I'll report back in a bit.

Yeah I tried it -I'm not impressed. I have the reading one as well and we quit after Lesson 11 we both hated it so much. My DD hates the repetition -she rolls her eyes every time she has to repeat something she already answered. Plus I find the math version runs really fast - the child doesn't have time to think of the answer before it is on to the next thing and my DD gets super frustrated by that. She always says "I knew that but I didn't have time to say/do it. So unless your kid can answer immediately without thought (which would mean they didn't need to be using the program anyway) - then this program is a dud.

I think clicker training is for dogs - not humans:glare:

Yeah I tried it -I'm not impressed. I have the reading one as well and we quit after Lesson 11 we both hated it so much. My DD hates the repetition -she rolls her eyes every time she has to repeat something she already answered. Plus I find the math version runs really fast - the child doesn't have time to think of the answer before it is on to the next thing and my DD gets super frustrated by that. She always says "I knew that but I didn't have time to say/do it. So unless your kid can answer immediately without thought (which would mean they didn't need to be using the program anyway) - then this program is a dud.

I think clicker training is for dogs - not humans:glare:

When I sit with Lance, I hit the pause button to give him time to answer. Although the first lessons are pretty easy for him right now, so he can answer in time. Once it gets to the addition and such, I'm sure we'll use the pause more;)