Menu

Need recommendations for educational magazines

I've been watching the sale boards for goodies, and I ran across someone selling Zoobooks. I was too late to buy them (you all are FAST!! :)), but in researching what they are, I've become intrigued!

I'm thinking that if I get a subscription to these magazines, that my daughter will eat them up! We are planning on studying animals this year, so it fits our theme. My kids LOVE to get their own mail! My son has a subscription to a Lego Magazine. Every day he is asking if it has come yet. When it finally arrives he disappears for quite a while, devouring the magazine from cover to cover! He then keeps it in the bathroom and re-reads the magazine over and over again until the next one arrives. SO, it got me thinking! Maybe I can get the same effect, but with more educational type of magazines! Maybe the excitement of it being "their mail" will make the kids more likely to read the contents!

In looking on eBay for Zoobooks, I ran across National Geographic for Kids. I am wondering what some other wonderful, educational magazines you all may know about! I was thinking it might be cool for each kid to have their own subscription. My kids are dd7, ds9, and dd12. Can't wait to see all your awesome suggestions!

Thanks!

The Scholastic classroom magazines are cheap for single copies (A couple dollars more per subscription than if you do a class set, but still only about $5-$6/yr). You get a bundle every month with however many issues are in that month's subscription. I get the ones in Spanish for my daughter to use to practice, and I'm considering adding a couple more next year because she likes getting mail.

I also just did a 3 month Little Passports subscription through a Mamapedia deal. We just got the first one today. We'll see if it's worth keeping or not.

I like the Ranger Rick magazines. We started with Wild Animal Baby when DD was 2-3, then used Your Big Backyard for ages 4-5. We have a borrowed copy of Ranger Rick and are probably moving to that next year.

Occasionally we get a National Geographic for Kids from the library. I think we'll be subscribing to that at some point. We did get their Little Kids version for a year and it was good for her around age 3-4.

Another one we use is Gods World News. Right now, we're subscribed to the Early Edition for Pre-K through 1st grade, but they have it for several different age groups.

I'm planning to get the Zoobooks sometime. I remember reading those when I was a kid and they were one of my favorite magazines. I also remember enjoying Highlights and Cricket when I was somewhere between 1st and 4th grade.

What do you all think of the National Geographic for Kids? I saw on-line that I can get a year for $15. Do you think the information is as meaty and as educational as some of these others?

I looked up the Cricket mags. They look great!

Off to look at the other suggestions!

Thanks so much!

:)

You might be interested in this thread. I think post #19 says something about Nat. Geo. and content.

I will just fully disclose ... I love the Cricket magazines group and have not subscribed to Nat. Geo. for Kids. I'm only pointing out some opinions previously posted and letting you know what I prefer!

I would suggest you go to the local library and see if they have subscriptions to any of these (our library has many of them). That way you (and your kids) can look at several issues and see which one might be a good fit. We've gotten (at different times) Highlights, Puzzlemania, Owl, American Girl, Ranger Rick and Kiki (a fashion magazine aimed at preteens that is actually age-appropriate for my 10 year old daughter--what a relief!--and also includes some educational content related to the issue's theme). I've been able to check out back issues of Faces to use as part of our geography studies this year. I've thought of getting Muse or Odyssey for her as well, but held off for now.

If your kids like science, they might be interested in Spigot. It's an online kids' science magazine, though, so doesn't have the coveted quality of coming in the mail with one's name on it ;). http://spigotsciencemag.com/

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the amount of advertising in National Geographic for Kids. I'd prefer to pay more for the magazine and not have ads or lots of articles about the latest Disney/Nickelodeon show.

I would suggest you go to the local library and see if they have subscriptions to any of these (our library has many of them). That way you (and your kids) can look at several issues and see which one might be a good fit. We've gotten (at different times) Highlights, Puzzlemania, Owl, American Girl, Ranger Rick and Kiki (a fashion magazine aimed at preteens that is actually age-appropriate for my 10 year old daughter--what a relief!--and also includes some educational content related to the issue's theme).

This is a GREAT suggestion! I think I remember seeing some of these type of magazines there before! I always forget to use the resource of my library! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

What do you all think of the National Geographic for Kids? I saw on-line that I can get a year for $15.
I thought there were way too many ads and WOW! effects instead of real information. We greatly prefer Ranger Rick and then YES Mag for slightly older readers. YES is Canadian, but is available through Amazon in the US. They have also published a handful of engaging books.

I like Click and Ask a lot (and so do my kids!). Ladybug and Spider, sometimes. I check those out at the library. My library also gets others that we occasionally read.

You can buy these through magazines.com also and sometimes get a huge rebate through ebates. Just sayin'.

National Wildlife Foundations' magazines (Ranger Rick, Your Big Backyard) are not bad, but I don't like them quite as much as Click and Ask. They tend to run a special on Black Friday (end of November).

I bought some back issues from Know/Yes magazine for a reasonable price, directly from their website.

We just got back from Barnes and Noble and picked up a few of the Cricket magazines. I saw some of the others mentioned, but they didn't appeal to me as much as the Cricket ones. I've been meaning to order one of their magazine subscriptions but wanted to try an issue first.

We got Click and Ask (science & nature ages 3-6 and ages 6-9). I think I'd like to get Appleseed (history/culture ages 6-9)too but they didn't have it at the store. We'll probably get two subscriptions once we figure out our favorites.

EDITED LATER: Forgot to mention we also got Art Dawg - art magazine for ages 5-12. I loved it as it teaches how to draw a realistic bird, about John James Audubon, Handimal (painting on hands), cool bird craft, texture project, painting pet portraits and more. Small magazine but looked worth it for us.

We also get Highlights Which Way USA and Top Secret Adventures. I used to get other Highlights magazines but stopped the subscription.

Here's a good link:

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/childrens/booklists/kidsmags.html

Edited by Satori
added Art Dawg mag

I just ordered a subscription to Kids Discover. After I did it, I read last year's post and saw some great reviews on it. So I'm glad I ordered! Also just ordered Zoobooks...

Today I put all my impOnline subscriptions on hold (Masterpieces, Ancient Civ, Classical Composers, and Wildlife Safari). They were getting so expensive! Magazine subscriptions are much more reasonable, whew.