Menu

All About Spelling

DD (7) has hated Spelling Workout...haven't finished book one because she hates it. Now I'm hating it. Major.:glare:

Have been considering All About Spelling...thinking we'll try that next:). I emailed the company and they suggested level 2 for her. Is that what you would suggest? She CAN spell and VERY WELL...just NOT with Spelling Workout...you'd think she'd lost all ability to read, write, and what letter is this again:confused:. She can read and read very well...except for yes you get it...Spelling Workout! She's read about AAS on the website while I was looking at it and thought that yes she can do that one.

So....long way of asking...level 2 with the review cards for level 1?

Janelle

If she can spell well, I think AAS might be overkill? Definitely start with level 2 if you're going to do it though. Level 1 is mostly short vowel sounds, and a few extras that are reviewed at the beginning of level 2. In fact, all the key cards of level 1 are included in level 2, so you don't need the level 1 key cards. You'll need the level 1 phonograms/sound cards though.

Just be aware that with AAS, you will probably go very fast through the program and need multiple levels per year. Are you financially ready to do that?

I use AAS with my good reader, but he hadn't had a lot of phonics when learning to read, and he is not a natural speller. AAS works very well for him, and he's getting more confidence about writing in general because he's starting to be able to spell the words he wants to write. We worked through 2 levels in 3 months, and now we're in level 3 and starting to slow down and do a step in 2 days instead of 1 day. We haven't hit the writing station yet, but I expect that will cause us to slow down a bit more, probably taking at least 3 days to do a step. I have level 4 on the shelf though, because I know we'll get to it before my next RR order. :tongue_smilie:

For a good speller, you'd probably not use the program as written, but instead streamline it a bit. There is a lot of repetition built into the program. We don't review quite as often as it says to. Actually, in level 2, we didn't review hardly ever. Now in level 3, we're needing to review once a week. We also don't spell with the tiles. I use the tiles only for the teaching section of the step. Then we write the words on the white board - just once. The book has you spell with tiles, then spell on paper. So we just do the one time without tiles. Then we do some of the dictation sentences. I don't do all of them because the physical act of writing is DS's weak spot, though AAS has gotten it much better. We usually do 3-4 sentences per day, and there are 12 sentences in level 3 steps. So if we're doing a step in 2 days, I'll do probably half the sentences. I pick them specifically for what they're reviewing and how hard I think it will be (harder is better ;)).

I do like AAS. It holds my hand, as it's completely scripted. It's so easy to teach. I just grab the book and spelling box and sit down in front of the white board. No prep needed at all. It can be very slow though, so that's why I streamline it like I do. DS isn't a natural speller, but he does pick up on things taught to him very quickly, and he applies the spelling rules very easily. I suspect that if he'd been taught phonics when learning to read, he probably would have been much better at spelling.

Hope that helps!

My first thought was that Spelling Workout A would be too easy for most 7 year olds, especially one who is naturally good at spelling. Have you tried level B or C?

I am using AAS with all of my kids, but mostly because I want them to learn the rules of spelling. None of my kids has struggled with spelling, we move fairly quickly through the books (we don't do spelling year round). The books are rather pricey to use with 1 student who is a good speller already, it works out to be $320 for the 7 book series with shipping. It is a great program, just wanted to point out that a "good speller" could go through the whole series in 2 years, and that is a big price tag.

Have you looked at Spelling Power? You only buy a single book for around $60 (plus test forms, you can buy a booklet for $5 or print free online) that you use for multiple years. There are placement tests to decide which level she will need to start at (good idea for good spellers). Spelling Power states the rules, but doesn't TEACH the rules like AAS does -- for example it teaches all the different ways to spell the /er/ sound, but not any ways to know which one to use, and teaches them all in the same lesson.

I adore AAS as much as the next person, but it may be overkill for a naturally good speller. Just my opinion. :)

Ha ha ha... we posted at the same time, and said pretty much the same thing! :)

Ha! I'm usually the one posting second... because it took me so long to type, reread, type again, reread, etc. :D

Glad to see another one using AAS though! I know some people think it's crazy to use it with an accelerated child, but like you, I have multiple children to use it with, so the cost isn't much more than a workbook program would have been. My son thrives on the rules, and I love that they do word families to work one rule at a time. The Spalding spinoffs don't do that, AFAIK. So that's one of the reasons why we've stuck with AAS. We've been happy with it, especially starting in level 3 where we're finally hitting a slow-down point.

We love AAS over here. We're finishing up Level 2 and about to start Level 3. I know that lots of folks feel that AAS is overkill for an accelerated student or a natural speller, but ds LOVES the fact that AAS is answering his questions about why words are constructed a particular way. He makes me answer his etymology questions too. All the syllabication analyses and spelling rules are exactly why AAS is such a good fit for some accelerated kids. It scratches their itch to over-analyze everything. ;)

Oh, and all the dictation exercises have been beautiful in helping the spelling lessons cross-over into writing.

Because my kid likes the rules and didn't really need to review the easy spelling words, I'd vote for just getting the Level 1 TM. We didn't need the Student Materials very much in Level 1. I don't think I used the word cards at all. I kept track of what I needed to review with notes in my TM.

DD (7) has hated Spelling Workout...haven't finished book one because she hates it. Now I'm hating it. Major.:glare:

Have been considering All About Spelling...thinking we'll try that next:). I emailed the company and they suggested level 2 for her. Is that what you would suggest? She CAN spell and VERY WELL...just NOT with Spelling Workout...you'd think she'd lost all ability to read, write, and what letter is this again:confused:. She can read and read very well...except for yes you get it...Spelling Workout! She's read about AAS on the website while I was looking at it and thought that yes she can do that one.

So....long way of asking...level 2 with the review cards for level 1?

Janelle

I'll be the naysayer and say I would not waste my $$ on AAS. The words are incredibly easy. How to Teach Spelling contains all the phonics rules, word lists categorized by rule which include words all grade levels, spiral dictation (which is much more advanced than AAS) and is only about $30 for the TM (which is able to be implemented w/o anything else.)

My kids create their own notebooks by writing the rule at the top the page followed by the words I select (according to ability), phrases, and dictation.

If you think your dd would really enjoy the letter tiles and dry erase board, you could easily purchase those and incorporate those into HTTS on your own.

(FWIW, I have 2 horrible spellers and 1 fairly bad speller. I bought the first 2 levels of AAS and was completely :confused: about the rave reviews. I see its strengths for kids that need multisensory input and for parents that need script to know what to teach. However, its weaknesses are that the word lists are very easy as are the dictation exercises.)

Also, in case you are not aware of it, spelling is really not rule-based. Reading phonetically is. Once you reach about 5th grade level words, there are so many phonetically correct options that do not break any rules that you have no choice but to have memorized the correct spelling. You cannot rule your way into the correct choice. How your child will actually store the correct spelling into their long term memory should be the main objective. Some kids do it with ease. Some don't. My really poor spellers were hampered more by rule based spelling than helped. A morpheme approach helped my worst speller.

HTH

We love AAS over here. We're finishing up Level 2 and about to start Level 3. I know that lots of folks feel that AAS is overkill for an accelerated student or a natural speller, but ds LOVES the fact that AAS is answering his questions about why words are constructed a particular way. He makes me answer his etymology questions too. All the syllabication analyses and spelling rules are exactly why AAS is such a good fit for some accelerated kids. It scratches their itch to over-analyze everything. ;)

Exactly! That's what happened here. I had tried R&S Spelling (grade 2 was too low a level for first grade) and Sequential Spelling 1. When we did SS, he said "Why do you double the n in pinning?" I could answer that question, but I knew I was in for it in the future, as I don't know why everything is spelled a certain way. I even have The ABCs and All Their Tricks, but I didn't really want to be looking every single word up. We switched to AAS, and now he will gleefully tell me why a word in his copywork is spelled a certain way. It really excites him! While copying a paragraph from his English book last week, he even drew a jail around the word "of". :lol:

Totally love the dictation sentences too!

I bought the first 2 levels of AAS and was completely :confused: about the rave reviews. I see its strengths for kids that need multisensory input and for parents that need script to know what to teach. However, its weaknesses are that the word lists are very easy as are the dictation exercises.)

Levels 1 and 2 should really be combined, IMO. Level 1 is ridiculously easy, though it's probably meant for K level spelling. Level 2 is somewhat easy still, but not as easy as level 1.

Level 3 ramps up quite a bit, and the dictation is excellent from what I've seen. There are 12 dictation sentences for each step, using various words from all of the previous levels taught. I also have level 4, and it looks great too.

I have not seen HTTS in person. I've only seen samples. The sample on CBD looks no different from AAS as far as word level and dictation go. Can you give some examples of words used in HTTS that aren't in AAS at some point? My understanding is that AAS includes all the words on the Ayres lists and more. Level 1 is dealing with easier phonograms, so the words are of course going to be easy there. Are you comparing HTTS with just 2 levels of AAS, or are you comparing it with all 7 levels of AAS?

Also, in case you are not aware of it, spelling is really not rule-based. Reading phonetically is. Once you reach about 5th grade level words, there are so many phonetically correct options that do not break any rules that you have no choice but to have memorized the correct spelling. You cannot rule your way into the correct choice.
This is why AAS teaches multiple strategies for how to spell words. It is not "just rules". Levels 1 and 2 deal mostly with rules, though the word banks are introduced in level 2. Level 3 adds in the silent e book where students basically keep a spelling notebook of silent e words and what the job of the silent e is. There are also word banks for several of the phonograms in that level as well (like "er", "ur", etc.).

Obviously, learning spelling rules and such won't work for every kid, and AAS is not going to work for every kid. If you feel comfortable teaching HTTS, I wouldn't recommend AAS. I use AAS because I need the handholding in teaching, and I think a lot of us use it for that reason. :) In researching threads on here about HTTS, most who have really used both have said that they're basically the same, but AAS is scripted for easier teacher use, while HTTS is much cheaper. So if you need the teacher handholding, use AAS, and if you don't need that or if money is an issue, use HTTS.

I will probably pick up HTTS at some point just to see what's really insid eit (hard to tell much from the samples), but for now, I'm happy with AAS, and I've seen my son apply the rules to words in his writing outside of spelling, even if he hadn't been taught those words specifically.

I'll be the naysayer and say I would not waste my $$ on AAS. The words are incredibly easy. How to Teach Spelling contains all the phonics rules, word lists categorized by rule which include words all grade levels, spiral dictation (which is much more advanced than AAS) and is only about $30 for the TM (which is able to be implemented w/o anything else.)

HTH

:iagree:

Add me to the naysayer list. And I have the first 4 levels of AAS, and the issue with easy words is still there by the 4th level.

HTTS is very easy to implement w/the workbooks. Just do the next thing in the wb, and turn to the corresponding page in the TM for dictation. All you need is the TM for ALL grade levels, and you can add the grade-level workbooks. Sooooo much cheaper than AAS.

I really hate how you have to spend so much money for a full spelling program w/AAS-there really are no grade levels--and I find her marketing tactics a bit too much.

Add me to the naysayer list. And I have the first 4 levels of AAS, and the issue with easy words is still there by the 4th level.

Again, can you give examples here? I keep hearing this, but I've never seen anyone post actual examples, and the samples online for HTTS are far and few between. :) I'd really like to see examples. So far, I'm doing this with a younger child, so the words have been appropriate for him.

HTTS is very easy to implement w/the workbooks. Just do the next thing in the wb, and turn to the corresponding page in the TM for dictation.

AAS has the word banks and silent e books... does HTTS have something similar? Is there anything in AAS that HTTS doesn't have, and vice versa? :lurk5:

and I find her marketing tactics a bit too much.
Ah yes, I got that e-mail asking me to become an affiliate. I declined. ;)

Lol. I signed up for the affiliate thing on the theory that it didn't cost me, and maybe it will help pay for our next level if anyone ever clicks on my link. So, if anyone's buying for the first time...:lol:

Back on topic...a couple things I do about level one being so easy--

First, I point out longer words that contain the one-syllable words we're studing, so dd knows we're gaining the building blocks even though she knows a lot of the small words already by sight. I don't test on bigger words; I figure that will come later...but I keep mentioning them to keep eyes on the goal.

Second, I do make her spell with tiles to get the multisensory practice. But we don't spell on paper immediately following. We handwrite the list, more words, and dictation the next day, AND teach the next lesson up through spelling with tiles. So, she's still getting the kinesthetic input, I'm getting to see that the rule is retained overnight, and we're getting through a lesson a day, but without feeling like it's redundant to write on paper immediately after spelling with tiles when she feels like the words are easy. eta: When we do find a weak spot, like not being able to segment the blends at first, we slow down and only spell on paper part of the more words list and dictation to stretch it out over another day or two before moving on.

Of course for us, the sensory input and memory check are a little more important since she does have dysgraphia, so I'm not sure I should post here on spelling, but we're loving the program because it does satisfy our need to know why/how things work at the same time, so IMO a perfect choice for an accelerated learner with a weakness in spelling, as long as you keep it quick and interesting.

Edited by Love_to_Read

Again, can you give examples here? I keep hearing this, but I've never seen anyone post actual examples, and the samples online for HTTS are far and few between. :) I'd really like to see examples. So far, I'm doing this with a younger child, so the words have been appropriate for him.

AAS has the word banks and silent e books... does HTTS have something similar? Is there anything in AAS that HTTS doesn't have, and vice versa? :lurk5:

Ah yes, I got that e-mail asking me to become an affiliate. I declined. ;)

My 3rd grader made it through chpt 13 in the HTTS tm. (that means main sounds, syllabication, and several different rules.) To give you an idea, there are 49 chpts in the tm.

Here are some examples from her last week of spelling (we finished school a couple of weeks ago). (since HTTS spirals through the former rules in dictation, you should be able to tell some of the rules covered)

Phrases:

gigantic crown for the king

postage counter around the corner

before the hound sniffed the ground

loud hoot of an owl

pounce on the mouse

foul ball

a thousand towels in a package

Sentences:

The crowd watched the ostrich.

Who shouted when the fowl were not found in the henhouse?

The tower that lost its power was shrouded by fog.

She will wear a gray and brown blouse to the picnic.

The girl had torn her trousers and had to patch them.

A proud clown walked around the large tent with a trowel.

The yellow plastic flower made the pup howl.

To give you an idea, lesson 13 has a lesson on ou and ow. It has 49 words, 24 phrases, and 21 sentences. Since this particular child is a strong speller, I am only limited by her ability as to what I call out for her. AAS does not cover the ground that HTTS does.

ETA: I only use the tm for HTTS. You could easily incorporate the letter tiles and dry erase board type exercises from AAS if they are desired. All HTTS has are the rules, lists, and lots of spiraled dictation.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

It's weird, it's like kids are all different. ;)

My kids are enjoying AAS. My son is 8 and is on level 2. It's a bit easy, but he likes learning the rules and he likes being *successful*. If he gets too many things wrong on something he knows he's not great at, he'll just refuse to do it. It's gentle, it's nice. He can write on a white board or spell with the letter tiles. We're not using it to build vocabulary (his is huge -- it's why he didn't read well. Any book he was capable of reading when he was young was too boring).

My daughter is 4. She's using level 1 to learn to read. She doesn't always remember how to even write the letters, so the tiles are helpful. She didn't really even know all the sounds the letters made when we started, but she wanted to "do school", so I thought it would be fun for her. She loves it. :)

Wow I'm really glad I posted! I will look more into HTTS. My main goal is to teach her the rules. She's a great natural speller, but doesn't know the rules to apply to other words. We have looked at the higher levels in Spelling Workout. She needs something to point the rules out, base words on those rules and go with that. She's not great at figuring out a rule ... after all she is just 7! :) I don't want her to fly too quickly through AAS...dh is unemployed and I just teach music! So yes money is an issue.

Ok...quick question about HTTS...do I start her in grade 2? Would she miss anything by not doing grade 1 workbook?

I like the looks of HTTS. I hadn't heard of that one. SOOOO glad I asked! :)

Yes, you can get the grade 2 book workbook, no need to go back to the beginning.

The TM covers all the grade levels.

FYI, HTTS seems to be cheapest at Book Depository, and they have a 10% code through this weekend ("may11"). I went ahead and picked it up. They only had one workbook that I could see, and I think it was cheaper at RR and CBD, so I didn't get the workbook (it was level 3 anyway). Since I'm all set with AAS for a while, I'll just use HTTS to supplement for now. :)